Anyone Heard the Omega D5V-XL Enlarger?

Old April 11th 05, 12:37 PM
Gregory Blank

In article .com,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

Actually, there once was a D1. It was the first model Omega made
c.1938. My memory (of advertising, I am not quite THAT old) is that it
was a 35mm enlarger. It was followed about a year later by the D2, a
4x5 enlarger. These early Omegas did not have the girder type support
now so familiar. Rather, they used a more conventional tubular column
but the support for the lamphouse and chassis was a girder section.
I thought there was a section on Omega history on the KB site but
can't find it now so probably it was somewhere else. The familiar DII
came out around 1940 and was bought in huge numbers by the military and
schools.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

The original "D" was a has always been 4x5, there was an Omega "A"
first one produced that was a 35mm.

The original D looked like something from a Frankenstein movie.

--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 11th 05, 12:54 PM
Nick Zentena

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I thought there was a section on Omega history on the KB site but
can't find it now so probably it was somewhere else. The familiar DII
came out around 1940 and was bought in huge numbers by the military and
schools.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

I don't think it's 100% complete.

Nick
Old April 11th 05, 11:01 PM

Gregory Blank wrote:

The original "D" was and has always been 4x5, there was
an Omega "A"; first one produced and that was a 35mm.

What about my Omega C, the 31/4 x 41/4?. JandC
sell that size film. Anybody interested in a
31/4 x 41/4 enlarger? Dan

Old April 12th 05, 08:38 AM
narke

yestoday, I went to see the enlarger. the seller ask about ttl $510.00
for the following items:

1, D5-XL Super Chromega Dichroic Enlarger
2, CHROMEGATROL (with build-in timer of x0.1 second)
3, 35mm Negative Carrier
4, 120 Negative Carrier
5, Lens mount, lens plates

After check, I found it seemed work fine. And, it can mount a Rodagon
50mm lens no problem. Because I have merly little experience in
enlarger, so I want to ask following questions:

1, What about the price? Is it worth?
2, What else should I check before I decide to buy?
3, I found after the power was turned off by the timer, the light of
the bulb however was not immediately extinquished, it quenched in a
gradual way and last about one second. Is it normal for a enlarger?

Thanks in advance.

-
narke

Old April 12th 05, 01:35 PM
jjs

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...
yestoday, I went to see the enlarger. the seller ask about ttl $510.00
for the following items:

1, D5-XL Super Chromega Dichroic Enlarger
2, CHROMEGATROL (with build-in timer of x0.1 second)
3, 35mm Negative Carrier
4, 120 Negative Carrier
5, Lens mount, lens plates

1, What about the price? Is it worth?

I got the same setup, but with three lenses (50mm 2.8 El-Nikkor, 150mm
Schneider Componon and 80mm Rodagon) plus three spare bulbs and three
carriers - all for $150.

2, What else should I check before I decide to buy?
3, I found after the power was turned off by the timer, the light of
the bulb however was not immediately extinquished, it quenched in a
gradual way and last about one second. Is it normal for a enlarger?

He might have the wrong bulb. Dunno. Mine doesn't behave that way.

Old April 12th 05, 06:00 PM
John

On 12 Apr 2005 00:38:14 -0700, "narke" wrote:

After check, I found it seemed work fine. And, it can mount a Rodagon
50mm lens no problem. Because I have merly little experience in
enlarger, so I want to ask following questions:

1, What about the price? Is it worth?

Yep. A good purchase if in good condition.

2, What else should I check before I decide to buy?

Check that all functions work smoothly. Rack the lens stage all the way out and
look for cracks in the bellows. Ask if there was any parts services in the past 5~10
years.

3, I found after the power was turned off by the timer, the light of
the bulb however was not immediately extinquished, it quenched in a
gradual way and last about one second. Is it normal for a enlarger?

Yep. Pretty high output bulbs that seem to glow a lot after being turned off. For
this reason I've standardized on 15~20 second printing times. You may be able to find a
lower output bulb that would work but I haven't bothered.

John - http://www.puresilver.org

"Are you planning on accepting the new definition of photography?" - Frank
"Just as soon as humanity accepts a new definition of the term humanity." - John

Old April 12th 05, 06:02 PM
John

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:35:08 -0500, "jjs" wrote:

I got the same setup, but with three lenses (50mm 2.8 El-Nikkor, 150mm
Schneider Componon and 80mm Rodagon) plus three spare bulbs and three
carriers - all for $150.

I take it that someone went digital ? That's was a bargain of bargains. I paid
around $1000 total for enlarger, Chromegatrol, 3 Omegaron lenses, 6 negative carriers and
a lot of chemistry.