Best way to extract single frames from an MPG movie file

Old May 19th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Prof Wonmug

Default Best way to extract single frames from an MPG movie file

I have a Sony Cypershot (DSC-W150).

Last weekend, we had a birthday party for my grandson. There was a lot
of fairly fast action, which I tried to capture. Most of the photos
were blurry, but the movies were pretty good.

Each movie shot produced two files, a large MPG file and a small THM
file.

Is there a good way to extract a single frame from the movie and make
it into a still photo? I would appreciate any tutoring on how to do
this.

Thanks
Old May 19th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Prof Wonmug

On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:51:53 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

bugbear wrote:
wrote:
On May 19, 7:40 am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
I have a Sony Cypershot (DSC-W150).

Last weekend, we had a birthday party for my grandson. There was a
lot of fairly fast action, which I tried to capture. Most of the
photos were blurry, but the movies were pretty good.

Each movie shot produced two files, a large MPG file and a small THM
file.

Is there a good way to extract a single frame from the movie and
make it into a still photo? I would appreciate any tutoring on how
to do this.

Thanks

Any video editing program will let you grab a frame. I use Corel
Video Studio, Adobe Premier Elements also will work. Not sure what
is out on the free world.

Any video player with freeze frame + screen shot software would work!

BugBear

Not if the video player talks directly to the video card.

The OP should also be aware that indivdual frames are likely to appear
much noiseier (grainier) than the video, and will have limited resolution,
of course.

The video looks good because my eye does some integration from frame
to frame?

It seems like the camera ought to be able to do a better job of the
stills, though. The movies came out quite good, but the stills were a
blurry smudge. Maybe I just don't know how to work it.

I would use IrfanView or Virtual Dub, if no other software was available.

David

Old May 19th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Prof Wonmug wrote:
[]
The video looks good because my eye does some integration from frame
to frame?

In essence, yes. Try looking at a still frame from a 35mm movie (and note
the low light levels where 35mm movies are typically viewed).

It seems like the camera ought to be able to do a better job of the
stills, though. The movies came out quite good, but the stills were a
blurry smudge. Maybe I just don't know how to work it.

A single frame from a movie will, at best, be limited to the movie
resolution - perhaps 640 x 480 pixels. The still image may be 3000 x 2250
pixels or more. If the movie has been compressed, each frame will be
worse than a typical JPEG still.

Cheers,
David

Old May 19th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

It seems like the camera ought to be able to do a better job of the
stills, though. The movies came out quite good, but the stills were a
blurry smudge. Maybe I just don't know how to work it.

Next time as soon as you see one blurry photo, set the ISO higher or turn on
the flash to prevent the other photos from becoming blurry. While many
cameras can detect hand tremor, not many cameras can detect motion blur and
correct for it.