Nikon's latest fascinating problem (the D750)

Old March 26th 15, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

Default Nikon's latest fascinating problem (the D750)

On 26/03/2015 4:29 AM, RichA wrote:

Apparently, the D750, when a lens has its VR on, some kind of IR
leak/manifestation burns red spots, or glows onto the image during
long exposures. When I saw a picture, it looked like the old problem
with CCD's where the on-chip preamp would cause a glow in the corner
of the CCD on long exposures. Thing I don't get is, it only manifests
on long exposures you'd use a tripod for, so why would the user be
using the lens with the VR on?

Why does Henry's Camera store let you go in and field test cameras all
the time?

--
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they
do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under
Old March 26th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-26 17:02:40 +0000, Usenet Account said:

On 26/03/2015 4:29 AM, RichA wrote:

Apparently, the D750, when a lens has its VR on, some kind of IR
leak/manifestation burns red spots, or glows onto the image during
long exposures. When I saw a picture, it looked like the old problem
with CCD's where the on-chip preamp would cause a glow in the corner
of the CCD on long exposures. Thing I don't get is, it only manifests
on long exposures you'd use a tripod for, so why would the user be
using the lens with the VR on?

Why does Henry's Camera store let you go in and field test cameras all
the time?

He is a master of disguise. They have yet to figure out who all those
potential customers were.

Savageduck

Old March 28th 15, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2015-03-26 17:02:40 +0000, Usenet Account said:

Why does Henry's Camera store let you go in and field test cameras all
the time?

He is a master of disguise. They have yet to figure out who all those
potential customers were.

Unlike cheapskate Americans who'll spend a week scouring the internet to save $10 on a camera, I still buy at stores.

Excellent point! Good for you.

Americans - We have cheapskates, we have spendthrifts, we have folks
with more money than sense, we have....... And few nations are
significantly different.

Old March 28th 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/27/2015 5:35 AM, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 26 March 2015 13:02:57 UTC-4, Usenet Account wrote:
On 26/03/2015 4:29 AM, RichA wrote:

Apparently, the D750, when a lens has its VR on, some kind of IR
leak/manifestation burns red spots, or glows onto the image during
long exposures. When I saw a picture, it looked like the old problem
with CCD's where the on-chip preamp would cause a glow in the corner
of the CCD on long exposures. Thing I don't get is, it only manifests
on long exposures you'd use a tripod for, so why would the user be
using the lens with the VR on?

Why does Henry's Camera store let you go in and field test cameras all
the time?

I didn't see this. I read about it.

If you read it on the Internet, it must be true.

--
PeterN
Old March 29th 15, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dbd[_3_]

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 3:24:49 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
.. On Saturday, 28 March 2015 12:16:31 UTC-4, peterN wrote:
.. On 3/27/2015 5:35 AM, RichA wrote:
.. On Thursday, 26 March 2015 13:02:57 UTC-4, Usenet Account wrote:
.. On 26/03/2015 4:29 AM, RichA wrote:
..
.. Apparently, the D750, when a lens has its VR on, some kind of IR
.. leak/manifestation burns red spots, or glows onto the image during
.. long exposures. When I saw a picture, it looked like the old problem

.. I didn't see this. I read about it.
..
..
.. If you read it on the Internet, it must be true.
..
.. --
.. PeterN
..
.. Well, three reported incidents, and I didn't go looking for it so where there's smoke...

It's been known since at least early 2008 that there is IR leakage from the VR circuits of some Nikon zoom lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/26830245

It seems as if after a big Nikon sale, the effect is rediscovered by excitable newbies who forget to turn off their VR when shooting high ISO, long exposures on tripods. Then someone of malicious or ignorant nature parrots the reports implicating some other part of the system. And it's deja vu again!

Dale B. Dalrymple