First "true" digital rangefinder camera

Old February 26th 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default First "true" digital rangefinder camera

On 26 Feb 2015 16:02:41 GMT, Whiskers

On 2015-02-26, Sandman wrote:
Konost is going to release a full frame digital rangefinder camera in
2016

http://konost.com/?page_id=6654

Dubbing it the "The World?s First True Digital Rangefinder", which
seems to be in relation to the rangefinder is also a digital sensor.

It looks a bit neat, and will take Leica lenses, so.. your move,
Leica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xCskVNOZQ

Certainly interesting. Any camera that returns the controls to the
fundamental basics is to be encouraged.

Not clear whether or not there is a mechanical link between the camera's
focusing electronics and the focusing mechanism of the lens; if there
is, then the cost of making and calibrating the system may not be
significantly less than Leica's wholly optical/mechanical rangefinder.
If the connection is electronic, then lens interchangeability with
existing rangefinder lenses will be limited.

The problem with traditional range finder cameras was that they did
not change the field of view in the eye piece with a change of lens.
This gave rise to attachments such as
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Leica_IIIf_50mm_f1.5.jpg
Taking a photograph with anything but a standard 50mm lense became
that much more complicated as a result. I would hope a modern camera
could automatically make the necessary compensation electronically
through the view finder.

The immediate competition for this project may be the likes of the
Fujifilm X100T rather than the Leica M series.

Eric Stevens
Old February 26th 15, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 19:48:01 +0100, Alfred Molon

Sandman says...

Konost is going to release a full frame digital rangefinder camera in 2016

http://konost.com/?page_id=6654

Dubbing it the "The World?s First True Digital Rangefinder", which seems to be in
relation to the rangefinder is also a digital sensor.

It looks a bit neat, and will take Leica lenses, so.. your move, Leica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xCskVNOZQ

Wha can't they add autofocus? Either contrast based or on-sensor phase
AF.

Rangefinder is a thing of the past, when autofocus wasn't possible in a
non-SLR camera.

For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some variation of
an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for precision manual
focussing.

Eric Stevens
Old February 26th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Konost is going to release a full frame digital rangefinder camera in 2016

http://konost.com/?page_id=6654

Dubbing it the "The World’s First True Digital Rangefinder", which seems to
be in
relation to the rangefinder is also a digital sensor.

It looks a bit neat, and will take Leica lenses, so.. your move, Leica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xCskVNOZQ

As others have said, it probably has no chance. From their site:

"The Konost Camera aims to bring back the lost experience of
photography- taking time to think, focus and compose before taking the
perfect image."

nothing has been lost. that claim is pure bull****.

today's cameras can do exactly that, *plus* a whole lot more.

anyone can take as much time as they want for any photo, no matter what
camera they have.

That's all very nice, as long as the only thing you ever do is static
shots, with plenty of time to get things set. Worse yet, who *wants*
to take the time "to think, focus and compose", and why would that
assure the "perfect image"? Or even any improvement over what comes
from any other quality camera?

even not so static shots. nothing stops anyone from taking as much time
as they want, regardless of subject.

plus, what these idiots forget is by letting the camera take care of
the details, the photographer actually has *more* time to spend on the
composition and lighting and other aspects.

Either way, if you're into that stuff,
today's cameras have an 'M' setting on that dial.

and also turn off manual focus and stabilization.

bonus points for using old lenses that have no electronic coupling,
forcing you to use a handheld meter.

also be sure to use 512 meg cards because they hold about as much as a
single roll of film would, and only bring one or two cards, because
that's all the film anyone would have brought.

Maybe if they sell it as a novelty for $100. Or $10,000 for those who
must have the "exclusive" gear.

a full frame camera for $100 would definitely sell.
Old February 26th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some variation of
an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for precision manual
focussing.

what for, when live view is *far* more accurate and *far* more
flexible??

nevertheless, there are such screens available for some slrs.
unfortunately, there are significant drawbacks with modern lenses.
Old February 27th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:06:08 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some variation of
an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for precision manual
focussing.

what for, when live view is *far* more accurate and *far* more
flexible??

Either you have never used such a screen or you are joking.

nevertheless, there are such screens available for some slrs.
unfortunately, there are significant drawbacks with modern lenses.

Not for the D750 I understand.

Eric Stevens
Old February 27th 15, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some variation of
an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for precision manual
focussing.

what for, when live view is *far* more accurate and *far* more
flexible??

Either you have never used such a screen or you are joking.

wrong on both.

manual focus with live view is so much better it's not even funny.
there's *no* going back.

plus, if the camera has a tilt/swivel display and/or the ability to use
an external display, it's even *more* powerful. macro work does not
often offer comfortable vantage points and not being restricted to the
viewfinder is fantastic.

not only that, but because it's focusing off the actual sensor that
will be taking the photo, there will *never* be alignment issues. ever.

nevertheless, there are such screens available for some slrs.
unfortunately, there are significant drawbacks with modern lenses.

Not for the D750 I understand.

d1, d2h/hs/xs and d3 could:
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9288#D3
Old February 27th 15, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default First true rangefinder

In article , nospam wrote:

Sandman:
Nikon recently released the "Df", which was meant to be a
photographers camera,

where you would (or at least on paper, could) get more hands-on
access to the controls.

the best hands-on access are control wheels under the user's
fingers, not a shutter knob on top and aperture ring on the lens.

I agree about the shutter knob, but I rather like aperture controls on the
lens. To each his own. The Df combined it though, and you can use either, but
not seamlessly enough. The shutter knob can be set to "1/3 steps" leaving
control over to the finger dial, but there is no "auto" on the ISO knob.

--
Sandman
Old February 27th 15, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default First

In article , nospam wrote:

In article , Eric
Stevens

Eric Stevens:
For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some
variation of an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for
precision manual focussing.

nospam:
what for, when live view is *far* more accurate and *far* more
flexible??

Eric Stevens:
Either you have never used such a screen or you are joking.

wrong on both.

manual focus with live view is so much better it's not even funny.
there's *no* going back.

On a SLR, using live view for focusing is a very cumbersome process, where you
have to remove the camera from your eye, press a live view button, then use
the magnifying button to zoom in on the live view, all the while holding a
heavy camera with maybe a heavy lens almost at arms length.

The only time I use live view for focusing is when I record video using a
tripod (in the studio). Otherwise, I always use the optical viewfinder and the
focus indicator. A focusing screen would be quite helpful at times.

plus, if the camera has a tilt/swivel display and/or the ability to
use an external display, it's even *more* powerful. macro work does
not often offer comfortable vantage points and not being restricted
to the viewfinder is fantastic.

Sure, there are places where the live view is awesome, but for most shots - at
least for me - it isn't.

Now, the EVF in my Sony A7 is pretty awesome in this regard, since it also has
focus peaking, which is really accurate. And the EVF is currently one of the
best ones, even though I still prefer a OVF.

--
Sandman
Old February 27th 15, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

what comes from any other quality camera? Either way, if you're into
that stuff, today's cameras have an 'M' setting on that dial.

I agree with all of the above, and most cameras have a manual setting today
for those that are so inclined. But there has been a "retro" trend for years
now, and I suppose this is just another step in that direction.

As I said in another post, I use most of my cameras only in fully manual mode
(but I do utilize autofocus when available), so I can totally relate to the
"bare metal" feel such a camera could provide. I wouldn't buy it though, I
have no need for neither a rangefinder or another non-F-mount camera.

--
Sandman
Old February 27th 15, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:38:11 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For my part, I would love my SLR to have available some variation of
an old-fashioned split-image ground glass for precision manual
focussing.

what for, when live view is *far* more accurate and *far* more
flexible??

Either you have never used such a screen or you are joking.

wrong on both.

manual focus with live view is so much better it's not even funny.
there's *no* going back.

Not so. It hasn't got the acuity.

plus, if the camera has a tilt/swivel display and/or the ability to use
an external display, it's even *more* powerful. macro work does not
often offer comfortable vantage points and not being restricted to the
viewfinder is fantastic.

not only that, but because it's focusing off the actual sensor that
will be taking the photo, there will *never* be alignment issues. ever.

But a suitable ground glass screen will tell you more about whether
things are in focus or not than any rear display will show.

nevertheless, there are such screens available for some slrs.
unfortunately, there are significant drawbacks with modern lenses.

Not for the D750 I understand.

d1, d2h/hs/xs and d3 could:
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9288#D3

Not to mention http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d800en.htm and