Pan F + soon te be history ???

Old October 13th 04, 07:54 PM
Donald Qualls

The Wogster wrote:

How BIG is a 4x5 enlarger? I would think a scanning an easier way to go
these days.....

This one, a Simmon Omega D2 upgraded to D2V, possible XL (long rail)
version, stands a bit over three feet tall, and the baseboard is about
two feed square; with the cold light head installed, it weighs about
forty pounds. Comparatively, my scanner (a flatbed with glassless
carriers for a number of film formats up to 4x5, and on-glass scanning
for negs and trannies up to 8x10) has about 80% of that footprint,
weighs more than half as much, but is only about ten inches tall...

What would the weight be on a minimal 4z5 kit? I need to replace my
35mm gear, and would get a kick out of hauling a 4x5 out of the bag.
Especially when surrounded by young chinese guys with their fancy assed
digi-wonders.... Heck I would love to pull out some nice prints from a
115MB scan off a 4x5 negative..... Beat that with your Nikon D70 buddy!

Depends on what 4x5 you get. If you get a Technika or Crown Graphic you
could carry camera, a dozen holders, a spare lens or two, changing bag,
film, and a suitable tripod and come out around 30 lbs. With my plate
cameras, simpler and lighter by a good bit than even a Crown, I can
carry the Ziess Ideal, Kawee Camera, three holders for the Kawee and ten
for the Ideal, plus changing bag, film storage tubes, and extra film,
all in a shoulder bag that weighs just over ten pounds including a
lightweight tripod; with my good (surveyor's) tripod, ad a tilt/pan head
I don't yet have, replacing the lightweight 'pod, it would be more like
25-28 lbs.

If you get a Tachihara with the extended rail and both extended and bag
bellows, 3-4 lenses, holders, accessories, and suitable tripod, you'd be
more like 50 lbs.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 13th 04, 07:55 PM
Donald Qualls

Nick Zentena wrote:

Donald Qualls wrote:

I certainly hope Moersch is right and Ilford France is wrong -- I'd like
to have the option of using Ilford sheet films when I finally manage to
find a 4x5 I can afford...

Avoid anything with name value. My B&J press camera set me back $62. Came
with a 127mm Xenar. Everything works fine. But most people want a Graflex
and won't even consider a B&J. Even if the B&J comes with better movements.
My most expensive LF is an Ansco 5x7. Cost me all of $127 and came with a
few holders and a case. It needed cleaning and a new tripod mount.

Exactly. I'm an experienced bottom feeder, Nick.

Old October 13th 04, 08:29 PM
jjs

"Donald Qualls" wrote in message
. com...

Depends on what 4x5 you get. If you get a Technika or Crown Graphic you
could carry camera, a dozen holders, a spare lens or two, changing bag,
film, and a suitable tripod and come out around 30 lbs. [...]

If you want an exact weight for the above, remind me later when I'm at home.
I keep a Linhof Super Technika kit packed, ready to go. I'll pop it on the
scale.

Old October 13th 04, 08:30 PM
jjs

Nick Zentena wrote:

Avoid anything with name value. My B&J press camera set me back $62.
Came
with a 127mm Xenar. Everything works fine. But most people want a Graflex
and won't even consider a B&J. Even if the B&J comes with better
movements.
My most expensive LF is an Ansco 5x7. Cost me all of $127 and came with a
few holders and a case. It needed cleaning and a new tripod mount.

Exactly. I'm an experienced bottom feeder, Nick.

Make you own! It isn't all that hard to do.

Old October 13th 04, 09:00 PM
Donald Qualls

jjs wrote:
"Donald Qualls" wrote in message
. com...

Depends on what 4x5 you get. If you get a Technika or Crown Graphic you
could carry camera, a dozen holders, a spare lens or two, changing bag,
film, and a suitable tripod and come out around 30 lbs. [...]

If you want an exact weight for the above, remind me later when I'm at home.
I keep a Linhof Super Technika kit packed, ready to go. I'll pop it on the
scale.

Sure. If I knew which box my scale was in, I could do the same with my
bag with the two plate cameras in.

Old October 13th 04, 09:11 PM
Donald Qualls

Nick Zentena wrote:

Avoid anything with name value. My B&J press camera set me back $62.
Came
with a 127mm Xenar. Everything works fine. But most people want a Graflex
and won't even consider a B&J. Even if the B&J comes with better
movements.
My most expensive LF is an Ansco 5x7. Cost me all of $127 and came with a
few holders and a case. It needed cleaning and a new tripod mount.

Exactly. I'm an experienced bottom feeder, Nick.

Make you own! It isn't all that hard to do.

I've considered it, believe me. Perhaps when I get unpacked enough to
use my power tools (bandsaw, drill press, and sander, plus Dremel) I'll
think about it some more, though for what most people spend on that kind
of project I could buy one on eBay in pristine condition, with holders,
lenses, flash, and a box of bulbs! Problem is, of course, if you make
one, next thing you know you're trying to build a full-movements field
or monorail design, and spending a couple years and a couple thousand
dollars at it (just buying a bellows is more than I was thinking of
spending).

Of course, I could build a simple 4x5, just a sliding box design with no
movements, lens board mount on the front, spring back, and a screw or
rack gear for focusing, but then the only gain over my Moskva-5 is the
negative size (and it's a good step up), but at the cost of a bulky,
heavy camera with no more versatility than a Box Tengor; it'd be less
useful, overall, than my plate cameras.

Hmm. I wonder if I could make a 2-fold "bellows" out of cardboard or
light plywood (leather or fabric light seals at the hinge lines, or a
bag bellows inside the folding part) and have a really simple 4x5 that
still folds flat? And how much focus movement would I have without
vignetting (or how much oversize would I have to make it)?

Ah, JJ, you're an evil one...