which PC

Old June 6th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ransley

Default which PC

On Jun 5, 5:20 am, mogh baba wrote:
hi,

I have a question which I hope someone can give me e good answer.
Recently, my computer died and the serviceman says the usual word: You
do not win by repairing this and it is better to get a new pc.
the only sertiouse requirement I have from a new pc is that it is good
for working with digital RAW files. The specifications suggests that
the new computer with 250 G HDD and 1024 ram and an Intel Core 2 duo
2.0 desktop seems to be good enough for me. My only question is about
the integrated garaphic card. the seller says it is very good and if
i want to get a seperated card it will cost me more than 150 US
dollar. shall I go for the integrated card or get a seperate one?
Shall I think about other specifications? The integrated card is
called: "onboard Intel GMa3000 256mb".

I hope I have given enough information.

best regards,

Mojtaba

Vista itself requires alot of ram, near 1gb , for the best detail a
1920 x 1200 monitor makes a big difference but then you need a video
card to support it. Dell has great deals on monitors I recently got
the 2407 which is 1920 x 1200 for under 600 US ( I bet it will be
priced lower in a week as the price jumps around alot). Get something
expandable 4 gb ram is something you might find you need in the
future.

Old June 6th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Do you want to look at that in detail?

Obviously you haven't.

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as I
run applications and not OSes as such).
OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.
There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you are
asking for trouble.

Uh...name for me just one virus or piece of spyware in the wild which
is capable of infecting OS X (HINT: there are none).
Old June 6th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/6/07 2:32 AM, in article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , M-M
wrote:

Macintosh, of course!

ALRIGHT! Someone with a clue!

Yes.. Apple.. they know how to exploit style over function.
Style makes money while you have to work harder with function.

I bet that if Apple took PC and put a logo and a white case on it you would
say it was the best PC ever.
Hang on that's what they have done.

Same ol yap-yap from PeeCee Patrol.

It's the Operating System, stupid.

OTOH, if you enjoy crashes, spyware, viri, etc., knock yourself out!

Old June 6th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Do you want to look at that in detail?

Obviously you haven't.

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as
run applications and not OSes as such).
OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free
and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.
There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you
are
asking for trouble.

Uh...name for me just one virus or piece of spyware in the wild which
is capable of infecting OS X (HINT: there are none).

Quite a large number have been patched so far assuming you have installed
the patches that is.
You may not have as you appear to be invulnerable.

Old June 6th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/6/07 7:21 AM, in article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Not true at all. Try the latest Macs with Photoshop and see for yourself
or just check out iPhoto 6, which is great for the typical amateur
photographer. I use Macs and Windows XP daily.

Mac OS X runs rings
around Windows for functionality, reliability, and ease of use, plus I
spend a lot less time doing maintenance stuff such as installing OS
updates and no security issues.

Do you want to look at that in detail?

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as I
run applications and not OSes as such).
OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.
There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you are
asking for trouble.

Oh the hardware in Macs is as close to a PC as you can get too.
Just as well really as Mac performance was getting very slow compared to
PCs.

You can even buy a two or three button mouse for a Mac to make it useable.
PS what *idiot* invented a circular mouse for a Mac?

Dream on, numb-nuts. I bet you sell buggy whips with those Win-doze, too!

Old June 6th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/6/07 7:36 AM, in article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Yes.. Apple.. they know how to exploit style over function.
Style makes money while you have to work harder with function.

I bet that if Apple took PC and put a logo and a white case on it you
would
say it was the best PC ever.
Hang on that's what they have done.

Have fun with your virus-ridden, bloated OS.

Which one?
I use at least five (and none have a virus).

Would you know? Course not...

Old June 6th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

wrote:

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Yes.. Apple.. they know how to exploit style over function.
Style makes money while you have to work harder with function.

I bet that if Apple took PC and put a logo and a white case on it you
would
say it was the best PC ever.
Hang on that's what they have done.

Have fun with your virus-ridden, bloated OS.

Which one?
I use at least five (and none have a virus).

Would you know? Course not...

Why not?

What do you think makes OSx invulnerable?
How do you know yours hasn't been infected or do you rely on some mythical
protection offered by the fruit badge?
You sound like an easy target for a virus.. you don't think you can get one.
It would probably be easy to get you to install some malicious software
which is the biggest danger computer users face.
Just think yourself lucky that virus writers can't be bothered with Macs or
you may find your invulnerability is worthless.

PS OSx is just a "shell" ontop of a unix kernel and there is nothing that
says unix is safe. The first worms were unix based and there have been
plenty of problems since. There is nothing that Apple does to make sure
there are no security issues that M$ doesn't do so your faith is not based
on fact.

Old June 6th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

dennis@home wrote:
"George Kerby" wrote in message

PS OSx is just a "shell" ontop of a unix kernel and there is nothing that
says unix is safe. The first worms were unix based and there have been
plenty of problems since. There is nothing that Apple does to make sure
there are no security issues that M$ doesn't do so your faith is not based
on fact.

Experience says it's safe. The record shows Macs are far less vulnerable
to all the problems that PC users need to guard against.

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I
were still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 6th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , Shawn
Hirn wrote:

Consider a Mac; there are several models to look at. With a Mac, you get
Apple's world class customer service, tops in user friendliness, tops in
reliability, and the ability to run all Windows and Mac software. Out of
the box, the Mac will come with a very good tool to work with photos.

What he said. For the most part, you're using application software like
Photoshop, so re-learning your applications isn't an issue; in fact
re-buying it may not be either. Adobe offers an exchange where you can
swap your software for the Mac versions for just a few dollars.

And as stated, if for some reason you need specific Windows apps or
even want to go back to Windows entirely, you can keep the Macintosh
hardware. I know a few people who've bought high end Macs specifically
to run Windows because THEY WERE A BETTER VALUE.

While Apple refuses to compete in the bottom end of the market, their
better computers are actually cheaper than an equivalent PC.

So, it's cheaper, better made, better supported, may not require
retraining or repurchasing software, and will run virtually anything
out there - Windows, OSX, Linux... Seems like an easy choice.

I guess for so many years when the Mac was more expensive on the simple
test of cpu speed I now have a hard time thinking of the Mac as cheaper
in upfront costs. Even if it costs more initially, and clearly it always
doesn't, it's much cheaper to run in terms of maintenance and
reliability. (time=money). Not to mention more aesthetic than the boxes,
and more fun. Unless you're a gamer, then bye-bye.

An easy choice for those of us not tethered to some corporation with a
huge self fulfilling IT department.

--
John McWilliams
Old June 6th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

512MB video

"dmaster" wrote in message
s.com...

Given that the O.P.'s intent was photo work, why?

The writing is on the wall, I think, because of Vista, which requires 512 if
you want to run aero, and I think most people will one day.

-Bob