Hugo Meyer convertible plasmat lens

Old November 21st 04, 07:10 PM
Roux Jean-Bernard via PhotoKB.com

Default Hugo Meyer convertible plasmat lens

Hello,

I have got old large format stuffs from my grand uncle. Within this "package" there is a lens from I don't know anything about.
Here are all the informations I picked up by inspection.

The cell mounted on the front is engraved "Plasmat lens 1:8 foc. 6 3/4 inch Nr 782213"

The cell mounted back is doubled engraved "Plasmat lens 1:11 foc. 9 1/16 inch" and "Plasmat set 1 1:45 foc. 4 7/16 inch Hugo Meyer & Co Goerlitz New York Nr 782213""

The shutter is engraved "F.Deckel - Munchen" and has 3 aperture scales :
one 4.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32
one engraved "BL" is 8, 11, 16, 22, 32
one engraved "FL" is 11, 16, 22, 32

Anybody could help me to find the right cell combinations for the right focals and tell me if they cover 4x5 format ?

jean-bernard

Old November 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Roux Jean-Bernard via PhotoKB.com"
wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I have got old large format stuffs from my grand uncle.
Within this "package" there is a lens from I don't know
anything about.
Here are all the informations I picked up by inspection.

The cell mounted on the front is engraved "Plasmat lens
1:8 foc. 6 3/4 inch Nr 782213"

The cell mounted back is doubled engraved "Plasmat lens
1:11 foc. 9 1/16 inch" and "Plasmat set 1 1:45 foc. 4 7/16
inch Hugo Meyer & Co Goerlitz New York Nr 782213""

The shutter is engraved "F.Deckel - Munchen" and has 3
aperture scales :
one 4.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32
one engraved "BL" is 8, 11, 16, 22, 32
one engraved "FL" is 11, 16, 22, 32

Anybody could help me to find the right cell combinations
for the right focals and tell me if they cover 4x5 format
?

jean-bernard

The Plasmat is the grandfather of nearly all the current
large format camera lenses and nearly all current enlarging
lenses. It was derived from the well known Dagor by air
spacing the inner elements. The design is variously
attributed to Paul Rudolph, the inventor of the Tessar and
Protar, and to Ernst Arbeit of Hugo Meyer. The Plasmat is a
six element lens with the outer components consisting of two
cemented elements and single, air-spaced element closest to
the stop. The cells can be used individually with loss of
some sharpness compared to the complete lens.
The information for this lens is included in the
engraving. The focal lengths are speeds a
Complete lens: f/4.5, FL 4-7/16 inches
Back lens alone: f/8, FL 6-3/4 inches
Front lens alone: f/11 FL 9-1/16 inches

The marking 1:45 is actually 1:4.5 and is the speed of
the complete lens, i.e., f/4.5

The Plasmat is an inherently wide angle lens and should
cover about 75 degrees stopped down to f/22 or less. The
angle of view for a 4-7/16 inch lens for 4x5 is about 68
degrees so the lens will cover as a medium wide angle lens.
The coverage of the single cells is less but the longer of
the two should cover and the shorter one might also.
The shutter markings are the f/stop scales for the three
conditions: either of the two cells when used alone, and the
entire lens.
While the Plasmat can be very highly corrected the design
was not popular until good lens coatings became available
after WW-2 due to its having 8 glass-air surfaces with
resulting relatively high flare.
Fredrick Deckel, of Munich, manufactured the very well
known Compur and Compound shutters. Either is very rugged
and can be brought to life by a proper cleaning. Goerlitz is
the town in Germany where Hugo Meyer was located. This was
in the Russian zone after the war. New York indicates it was
imported for sale in the USA, Meyer did not have
manufacturing facilities here. Unfurtunately, I have no
serial number data for Meyer lenses.
BTW, one occasionally encounters "Carl Meyer" lenses.
This is an invented brand (mixing Carl Zeiss and Hugo Meyer)
used by Burke & James, of Chicago, for lenses assembled from
surplus parts. These are of highly variable quality. Hugo
Meyer was a well respected optical house in its lifetime and
made some excellent lenses.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 6th 04, 09:18 PM
Neil Purling

You may encounter modern lenses referred to as Plasmats because they are
descendents of the lens you have. Typical examples are theRodenstock Sironar
andthe Schneider Symmar and G-Claron.
The latter lens being designed for close up work
I own a 150mm G Claron. I can't say what the lens is like yet because it is
away for attention.
The Plasmat is a relative of the Goerz Dagor with a seperated inner element
to eliminate the focus shift of the Goerz lens. I also have a Dagor and that
has to be focused at the working aperture.

---

Old December 7th 04, 11:21 PM
Roux Jean-Bernard via PhotoKB.com

Thank you for these usefull informations

jean-bernard