Transfer image to canvas

Old October 4th 04, 01:39 PM
Tim

Default Transfer image to canvas

There are lots of articles with info about transferring digital images
to canvas, but I can't find one that explains a way of doing what I'm
trying to do.

I have a digital image and want to transfer the image to my (already)
stretched canvas. The image is only for an outline and colour guide,
so it doesn't need to be a perfect transfer. My current method is to
trace an outline by hand, but for huge detailed images this can often
take hours.

I don't want to use anything like a t-shirt transfer as this has a
plasticky, gluey texture. I can't print directly onto the canvas as
it's too big.

I've heard about "Picture this" and other transfer systems, but these
are for final pictures, and not for outlines. They also use a kind of
resin transfer which is no good.

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas.

Thanks for any help with this

Kind regards

Tim
Old October 4th 04, 02:27 PM
Charlie Self

tsmith asks:

[...]

Pantograph? It works for drawings, but I have no idea how it will do with
outlines from photos. A lot of hand work, too, since you have to follow each
line you want. But it's easy to size and generally easy to use.

Otherwise, you might want to see if you can locate some of the decal stock, and
ink, that kids display so prominently on their bodies today.

Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Old October 4th 04, 03:52 PM
Bob Hatch

"Tim" wrote in message
om

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas.

Thanks for any help with this

Kind regards

Tim

How big? What kind of printer?

Reverse the image then print on regular paper. Lay the paper on the canvas
and spray it with water until it's damp, not wet. Let it dry and remove the
paper. Might work. Might not.
--
"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

Old October 4th 04, 07:19 PM
John McWilliams

Bob Hatch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
om

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas

How big? What kind of printer?

Reverse the image then print on regular paper. Lay the paper on the canvas
and spray it with water until it's damp, not wet. Let it dry and remove the
paper. Might work. Might not.

The reverse side of real photo paper - at least the paper I printed on-
(Avery Glossy "digital" photo paper) will work for this.

--
John McWilliams
Old October 5th 04, 09:27 AM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:19:28 GMT, John McWilliams
wrote:

Bob Hatch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
om

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas

How big? What kind of printer?

Reverse the image then print on regular paper. Lay the paper on the canvas
and spray it with water until it's damp, not wet. Let it dry and remove the
paper. Might work. Might not.

The reverse side of real photo paper - at least the paper I printed on-
(Avery Glossy "digital" photo paper) will work for this.

How about projecting onto the canvas, outlining as needed,
then have a print alongside the easel for reference on color.

I have a friend who took some of his slides from Italy,
projected them onto another friend's pizza parlor wall, then filled in
the color this way. Looks pretty decent.
Old October 5th 04, 09:43 AM
Tim

John McWilliams wrote in message news:Qug8d.171747$MQ5.90599@attbi_s52...
Bob Hatch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
om

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas

How big? What kind of printer?

Reverse the image then print on regular paper. Lay the paper on the canvas
and spray it with water until it's damp, not wet. Let it dry and remove the
paper. Might work. Might not.

I like the wetting-paper idea - I will give this a go tonight.

The reverse side of real photo paper - at least the paper I printed on-
(Avery Glossy "digital" photo paper) will work for this.

Do you mean printing onto the wrong side of glossy photopaper so that
it doesn't dry properly and then transfer? Or print onto the correct
side and then apply water to the back?

Thanks for your help - some interesting ideas. I've got some OHP
ascentate that's not suitable for inkjet, i.e. transfer the wet ink
that sits on the sheet - someone also mentioned that they were
relatively successful when using greaseproof baking paper!

So I've got a few things to try...
Old October 5th 04, 04:20 PM
John McWilliams

Tim wrote:

John McWilliams wrote in message news:Qug8d.171747$MQ5.90599@attbi_s52...

Bob Hatch wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
e.com

I was hoping that somebody would know of a way of printing onto inkjet
paper and then transferring the ink onto the canvas - perhaps a paper
that doesn't quite dry and then you rub it on the back to transfer
some of the ink to the canvas

How big? What kind of printer?

Reverse the image then print on regular paper. Lay the paper on the canvas
and spray it with water until it's damp, not wet. Let it dry and remove the
paper. Might work. Might not.

I like the wetting-paper idea - I will give this a go tonight.

The reverse side of real photo paper - at least the paper I printed on-
(Avery Glossy "digital" photo paper) will work for this.

Do you mean printing onto the wrong side of glossy photopaper so that
it doesn't dry properly and then transfer? Or print onto the correct
side and then apply water to the back?

The former! This neat 'discovery' like so many, was unintentional....

Thanks for your help - some interesting ideas. I've got some OHP
ascentate that's not suitable for inkjet, i.e. transfer the wet ink
that sits on the sheet - someone also mentioned that they were
relatively successful when using greaseproof baking paper!

So I've got a few things to try...

Sounds like you're mostly there. Good luck!

--
John McWilliams