Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Old April 2nd 18, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Wed, 28 Mar 2018 20:07:22 -0700, schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

1. Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a PowerPoint file from Windows?
2. If yes, can't it get the font out of the embedded font in the PPT file?

SOLVED:

Thanks for all your help, particularly from Paul, Neill, J. P. Gilliver
(John), Jonathan N. Little, & Char Jackson on the Windows newsgroups.

To give back to the team, here is a first-pass solution that can be
leveraged to others in the future via the tribal knowledge archives at
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1103517
http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1103524

This thread basically went nowhere mainly because Apple posters were
involved, but one or two people were helpful so it bears mention:
http://tinyurl.com/rec-photo-digital
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.photo.digital/zdVFRNwhdA8
SUMMARY: (sufficient to understand the main steps)
a. Install desired roadsign fonts (includes arrows, graphics, & text)
b. Install desired software (Microsoft Office & Adobe Illustrator)
c. Obtain desired 12x18-inch sign template
d. Modify template as desired by a score of different people on their PCs
e. Combine those modifications into a single file
f. Output PDF with embedded fonts from that file
g. Read that embedded-font PDF into Adobe Illustrator
h. Substitute the roadsign system fonts where necessary
i. Print to a vinyl-cutting 12"x18" sign printer
DETAILS: (sufficient for anyone to reproduce)
0. The test case is a powerpoint file expected to be provided as a
single-page
template to edited by more than a score of individuals, each of whom
owns
Microsoft Office and knows how to use it where all were instructed to
modify the template text and graphics as they see fit, with the
exception
that the bottom (legal) line and outside border and black color must
remain intact for consistency.
https://u.cubeupload.com/pK8NQE.gif

Those score of individual pages were to be assembled into one large
multi-page file, which is to be provided to the printers who will print
to vinyl using Mac Adobe Illustrator, and who will apply the vinyl to
precut pre-drilled white aluminum 12-inch by 18-inch road sign blanks.

Note that the entire font set is embedded in the PowerPoint file
which allows the users to add approved arrows, text, & other graphics:
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/H5GDdHA1/file.html (signs.pptx)

Note that the entire font set is also embedded in the PDF file:
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/abXkQMAN/file.html (signs.pdf)

Where the PDF file is what will be input into Adobe Illustrator
(because Adobe Illustrator does not accept Powerpoint files):

http://blog.globalizationpartners.com/using-pdf-in-illustrator-when-source-files-are-lost.aspx

Note also that the Office 2007 file is sized at 12-inches by 18-inches:
OfficeRibbon Design Page Setup Width=12 inches, Height=18 inches
http://i.cubeupload.com/mALZ03.gif

This will result in the same size of 12x18 inches in Adobe Illustrator:
http://i.cubeupload.com/Ma3cnk.gif
1. Obtain & install the "Roadgeek 2005 Series B" font set.
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005/

Note: The only font file in that set you need is the 44KB file:
"Roadgeek 2005 Series B.ttf"

See the appendix for Windows font-installation procedures.
2. Obtain & install the MS Office 2007 "Save as PDF or XPS" utility.

2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ails.aspx?id=7

Just run the SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe after installing Office 2007.
Note: Microsoft has discontinued support so you may need to use
a wayback link to find this (or a previously archived file).
3. Download the 4 files from:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4...uite-free.html
-----
Name: CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe
Size: 375638402 bytes (358 MB)
SHA256: 36DACE2549BDE94D7A45281380EEF453FD2AF38EDA19348FA3 DE567549A696EC
SHA1: 1538166046E59DB6098F75C3196E84AD9310DEA1
-----
Name: CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe
Size: 427451410 bytes (407 MB)
SHA256: 5862668CA45C0196777D3D4E2108D0A6F0750F6965769CB573 0944D3520DBB54
Size: 427451410 bytes (407 MB)
SHA1: D06911267603474B43F3F39E4B00029787173962
-----
Name: CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exe
Size: 346373903 bytes (330 MB)
SHA256: C662F1C431FAA33160523545FDA3BD58F29ED3616CB8E6D183 5CCE810AD5AB30
SHA1: 54BA48723D657E4A86903ED2C876381488C8F945
-----
Name: CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe
Size: 431237012 bytes (411 MB)
SHA256: 921402DA55BFEF5E6E21DE2261F725FFE0A451153F453000FB 3152635E1161BE
SHA1: 1C6CC05D49244ED1417B3E2C3136D4FD0B7F57E0
4. Unpack by right clicking & selecting 7Zip unpack to (choose the
default):
-----
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe unpacks with 7Zip to
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\.
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1\Design Guide.pdf
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1\How To Install.html
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1\How to Uninstall.pdf
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1\Read Me First.html
-----
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe unpacks with 7Zip to
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2\Adobe InDesign CS2\.
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2\Adobe Version Cue CS2\.
-----
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exe unpacks with 7Zip to
.\CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\.
-----
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe unpacks with 7Zip to
.\CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1\Adobe Solutions Network\.
.\CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1\Documentation\.
.\CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1\Goodies\.
.\CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1\Technical Information\.

Most people will likely just doubleclick on the downloaded files to
unpack:
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exe
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe
But I right clicked and selected the 7Zip unpacker to unpack them,
because doubleclicking on them creates folders in your root hierarchy,
and I wanted to keep all the folders in the location I keep installers.
5. Combine all files and directories into a single directory:
(Put all the folders should be in the same folder as Setup.exe is!)
.\CreativeSuite\CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Setup.exe
(Otherwise you'll get incessant prompts for CD 2!)

These are the 4 main folders to ensure are in the same location:
.\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Setup.exe
.\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Adobe Illustrator CS2\.
.\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2\.
.\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Adobe InDesign CS2\.
.\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Adobe Version Cue CS2\.
6. Run the "Setup.exe" installer for the Adobe Create Suite 2 set:
Tested on Windows 10 Pro, version 1709.
.\CreativeSuite\CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\Setup.exe
7. You'll get a warning that "QuickTime 6 is required to use the
multimedia features in the Adobe Creative Suite 2", which you
can ignore.
8. Then it will require a Name (default = "Windows User") & serial number.
Name: Windows user
Company: blank
Serial Number 1130 1414 7569 4457 6613 5551
9. It will default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe
It says it will use up 2.62GB
I put mine in C:\app\editor\pic\cs2
10. There will be a choice of what components to install:
[x] Adobe Illustrator CS2 (600MB)
[x] Adobe InDesign CS2 (400MB)
[x] Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe ImageReady CS2 (450MB)
[x] Adobe Version Cue CS2 (300MB)
11. Note: If you don't put all the folders in the same directory,
it will start installing and then ask:
"Please insert CD 2 to continue installation"
where if you hit the "OK" button, it will ask forever
for that CD 2.
12. If you need to re-run the installer, don't worry.
After you doubleclick again on "Setup.exe",
Up pops an option to "Change/Remove the Adobe Creative Suite 2"
with the two options:
(_) Install, Re-install, or Uninstall Individual Adobe CS2 Components
(o) Uninstall all Adobe Creative Suite 2 Components

You can just switch that default to:
(0) Install, Re-install, or Uninstall Individual Adobe CS2 Components
(_) Uninstall all Adobe Creative Suite 2 Components
13. At that time, a form came up to "Change Individual Components", saying:
Please select the components of the Adobe Creative Suite 2 to modify.
Adobe Illustrator CS2 (600MB)
Adobe InDesign CS2 (400MB)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 & Adobe ImageReady CS2 (450MB)
Adobe Version Cue CS2 (300MB)

Where your 3 possible choices for each item a
[No Change - Not Installed] or [Install] or [Re-Install]
14. You won't get any desktop shortcuts, so you need to look for the
executables of interest to make shortcuts to them for all but
Adobe Illustrator which will have a shortcut created for you.

Adobe Illustrator CS2 (600MB)
C:\editor\app\pic\cs2\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Adobe Illustrator CS2.lnk
Right clicking on the shortcut to select properties shows:
Target: "C:\app\editor\pic\cs2\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Support
Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe
Open In: "c:\app\editor\pic\cs2\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Support
Files\Contents\Windows\"

Adobe InDesign CS2 (400MB)
"C:\app\editor\pic\cs2\Adobe InDesign CS2\InDesign.exe"

Adobe Photoshop CS2 & Adobe ImageReady CS2 (450MB)
"C:\editor\app\pic\cs2\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe"

Adobe Version Cue CS2 (300MB)
"C:\app\editor\pic\cs2\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe"
15. I started Adobe Illustrator 12.0.0 on Windows 10 Creator's Edition.
C:\editor\app\pic\cs2\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Adobe Illustrator CS2.lnk
16. To edit the PDF file that was output from PowerPoint 2007, which
used only the RoadGeek TrueType font and had the entire font set
embedded, run this command in Adobe Illustrator:
AI: File Open signs.pdf
17. You'll get the following message, to which you click "OK":
The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted.
The font 1 is missing.
Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/cV87Aa.gif

This pretty much proves that Adobe Illustrator doesn't respect the
fonts which Windows PowerPoint 2007 embedded in the PDF file.
http://i.cubeupload.com/cV87Aa.gif

Note that you see the word "Strokes" in the GUI:
http://i.cubeupload.com/DaYBLG.gif
18. To "Find and replace the missing font in Adobe Illustrator",
AI: Type Find Font
And then change the "Document" to "System" where AI asks:
Fonts in Document: 1*
Change from: Replace with Font From: [Document]
Change to: Replace with Font From: [System]

Then change the font from: 1*
Then change the font to: Roadgeek 2005 Series B
As shown below before I select the Roadgeek font out .
http://i.cubeupload.com/K6cBu8.gif

Then hit "Change All" and then "Done".

Which results in the perfectly faithful result after selecting
the Roadgeek font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/CnFAUN.gif
https://u.cubeupload.com/M873ot.gif

And the fantastically beautiful result after I select the Roadgeek font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/CnFAUN.gif

In short, I am *confused* about that first step whether "strokes"
(whatever they are) are involved, but it doesn't matter because I can
substitute in the Roadgeek font and then it looks fantastically perfect
in
the Roadgeek-font layout!
http://i.cubeupload.com/RHsHn5.gif

Note: This file is needed in the Windows System Font folder:
"Roadgeek 2005 Series B.ttf"
19. Save the file as an Adobe AI-format file for use in AI on the Mac.

Note: AI-format files do not seem to "embed" fonts.

In Adobe Illustrator, save the file as a Windows "ai" format file.
AI: File Save As Adobe Illustrator (*.AI) signs.ai

A dialog box comes up to which you can say OK:
20. Save the file as an Adobe PDF-format file for use in AI on the Mac.
Note: The Adobe Illustrator PDF also do not seem to "embed" fonts.

In Adobe Illustrator, save the file as a Windows "ai" format file.
AI: File Save As Adobe PDF (*.PDF) signs_ai.pdf
http://i.cubeupload.com/20nlCB.gif

A dialog box comes up to which you can say OK:
http://i.cubeupload.com/4EuM07.gif

There are many options, one of which is "Advanced" which said "Fonts":
"Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than 100%"
whatever that means, but then it also said, below that in small print:
*"All fonts with appropriate permission bits will be embedded"*
http://i.cubeupload.com/p7qEWG.gif

So, you'd _think_ the fonts are embedded given that there are no
restrictions noted on the download site that are relevant.

However, if you subsequently *delete* the associated Roadgeek
Windows System Fonts and re-load the PDF into Adobe Illustrator,
it will complain about the missing fonts.

"Font Problems: Roadgeek2005SeriesB: Default font substituted
for missing font. This document "signs.pdf" uses fonts or
characters which are not available or are in a different format
than originally specified. Do you still wish to open this document?"
http://i.cubeupload.com/SdNyIh.gif

When you open it, you don't have your fonts anymo
http://i.cubeupload.com/wHCGuc.gif
21. At this point, you want to look at what formats you can export that
will have the font 'embedded' in them.

The "AI: File Export" options don't look promising:
This list is:
AutoCAD Drawing (*.DWG)
AutoCAD Interchange File (*.DXF)
BMP (*.BMP)
Enhanced Metafile (*.EMF)
JPEG (*.JPG)
Macintosh PICT (*.PCT)
Macromedia Flash (*.SWF)
Photoshop (*.PSD)
PNG (*.PNG)
Targa (*.TGA)
Text Format (*.TXT)

As shown below:
http://i.cubeupload.com/tunL4e.gif
How to install the RoadGeek font set in Windows 10 Pro System Font folder:

0. Starting with this PowerPoint file:
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/H5GDdHA1/file.html (signs.pptx)

1. Which has, embedded in it, these Roadgeek 2005 Series B TT fonts:
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005

2. Anyone on Windows can see & edit the file with those fonts in MS Office:
http://i.cubeupload.com/1uNFmZ.gif

Because Windows Microsoft Office "understands" those embedded fonts,
arrows, and other roadsign symbols.

Note: Mac Microsoft Office will *not* understand Windows-embedded fonts.

3. That "Roadgeek 2005 Series B" set is also embedded in the output PDF.
http://i.cubeupload.com/FwghPH.gif
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/abXkQMAN/file.html (signs.pdf)

4. When I read that PDF into Adobe Illustrator, AI doesn't see the font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/qIAOAL.gif

5. When I try to switch fonts, AI doesn't see that font anywhere.
http://i.cubeupload.com/qIAOAL.gif

6. When I go into the Windows Font directory, it's not there either.
http://i.cubeupload.com/6XxE7P.gif

7. So I downloaded the zip file from the Internet of the free RoadGeek
fonts.
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005/

8. I extracted that zip file to the following set of files.
http://i.cubeupload.com/UU5aCL.gif

9. I copied and pasted those extracted files to the Win10 Fonts folder.
http://i.cubeupload.com/6twBO9.gif

10. That copy and paste resulted in the fonts showing up in that folder.
http://i.cubeupload.com/PnUglo.gif

11. Then Adobe Illustrator was able to finally "see" that font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/gBNu1P.gif

12. With the result being that the AI file is the same now as the original.
http://i.cubeupload.com/20nlCB.gif

Note: If you are reading in the PDF for the first time into AI,
then you will need to run the following additional
font-substitution steps:

A. This is what AI says when it reads in the Powerpoint-saved PDF:
The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted.
The font 1 is missing.
Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font.

So on the one hand, that implies a *font* was substituted ...
http://i.cubeupload.com/cV87Aa.gif

B. However, on the other hand, I do see "strokes" listed in the GUI.
http://i.cubeupload.com/DaYBLG.gif

C. So it's confusing whether fonts or strokes are initially used, but
it does seem that the font is substituted when I run the command:
AI: Type Find Font
as shown below before I select the Roadgeek font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/K6cBu8.gif

D. And the fantastically beautiful result after I select the Roadgeek font.
http://i.cubeupload.com/CnFAUN.gif

E. In short, I am *confused* about that first step whether "strokes"
(whatever they are) are involved, but it doesn't matter because I can
substitute in the Roadgeek font and then it looks perfect in
Old April 2nd 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Sun, 01 Apr 2018 23:20:03 -0700, schrieb Savageduck:

Rant snipped.

...and there the Ąposter with many nymsą goes with his typical insulting
diatribe.

I attempted to give him the benefit of doubt with my first response to his
original query in this thread (the second one I believe), and he certainly
did not respond to that because it did not suit him to do so.

So the time has come to KF himin r.p.d. as I have done in the Mac, and iOS
NGs, where I only see his psychotic musings in the responses of others.

Savageduck,

*When you act like an adult, you won't be told you act like a child.*

You cry now that you acted like an adult momentarily, and then you
immediately fell back into your comfortable ways of acting like a child.

When you acted like an adult acts, you didn't hear me say a word.

I simply called you a child for the act that was that of a child.

*We have dealt with your childish crybaby racist crap for years.*

You seem to think that because you actually act like an adult once in this
thread and then you act like the child the rest of the time, that you are
immune to being called out on the fact that you act like a child acts.

It doesn't work that way Savageduck.

When you act like an adult, we'll know (yes, I noticed).
When you act like a child, we'll know that too.

You can't cry now that because you acted like a adult in one post *before*
you fell back into your old ways of acting like a child, that we shouldn't
call you out on that.

*When you act like an adult, you won't be told you act like a child.*
Old April 2nd 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 3/28/2018 8:07 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?

I have someone making signs for me on a vinyl style printer where she says
she can't read in the Microsoft Powerpoint and fonts, even though I've
embedded the entire truetype set (not just what's used in the document) in
the PowerPoint file.

I don't have a Mac nor Adobe Illustrator to test it out, but can't
Illustrator just read in the PowerPoint file with the fonts?

She says it can't do either, so she has to re-create the sign from a JPEG
which seems pretty ridiculous to me but I don't know the technology at all
since I have never done it.

It's basically two question:
1. Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a PowerPoint file from Windows?
2. If yes, can't it get the font out of the embedded font in the PPT file?

When I send signs out to be made I just print the file out to a
high-resolution JPEG in the same ratio of height and width that I want.

I have been using Visio to make signs, which exports directly to a JPEG
in whatever resolution you specify.

There is also PDFcreator which will print to a JPEG from any program
http://download.cnet.com/PDFCreator/3000-18497_4-10558866.html.

I was running into similar problems with fonts from other programs not
transferring, I didn't realize that it was probably due to the person on
the other end using a Mac. I think that they preferred a camera ready
JPEG anyway.
Old April 2nd 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , sms
wrote:

When I send signs out to be made I just print the file out to a
high-resolution JPEG in the same ratio of height and width that I want.

that will not produce the best results.

I was running into similar problems with fonts from other programs not
transferring, I didn't realize that it was probably due to the person on
the other end using a Mac.

it's not the mac that was the problem. whatever software you were using
is at fault.

I think that they preferred a camera ready
JPEG anyway.

they might accept a jpeg, but they certainly don't prefer that for
signs.
Old April 2nd 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Mon, 2 Apr 2018 06:58:06 -0700, schrieb sms:

When I send signs out to be made I just print the file out to a
high-resolution JPEG in the same ratio of height and width that I want.

I have been using Visio to make signs, which exports directly to a JPEG
in whatever resolution you specify.

There is also PDFcreator which will print to a JPEG from any program
http://download.cnet.com/PDFCreator/3000-18497_4-10558866.html.

I was running into similar problems with fonts from other programs not
transferring, I didn't realize that it was probably due to the person on
the other end using a Mac. I think that they preferred a camera ready
JPEG anyway.

Hi sms,

You know me well so you know I only speak fact.

You bring up a reasonable point that the *fonts* are part of the problem,
where we *SOLVED* this issue quite easily, with help from technically
competent purposefully helpful people.

A JPEG, as you suggest, certainly will "work" just as almost anything will
work (even scribbling the design on the back of a napkin will suffice); so
if a BMP or JPEG or GIF is all that you have, then it's fine.

But we found a perfect solution which solves the actual endpoint problems
that we had, which were out of my control, namely:
1. A score of people had to work on the file (without installing fonts!)
2. The shop is on Adobe Illustrator (which can't read embedded fonts!)

We had an additional "psychological" issue with the shop (which is a bunch
of high-school kids), in that they were "pretending" there was a "layout"
effort, when we proved during the course of the thread on the adult
newsgroups that there is none.

Here is an email we recently received from the manager of that shop in
response to my question of why they use Mac Adobe Illustrator:
"The Vinyl Cutter uses a cut extension through Adobe Illustrator,
thus the need to format the art through Illustrator.
We program what is cut through Illustrator.
Your pdf files will work fine. I have to install the fonts
you gave, which is no big deal. Changing the fonts so that
the cut is easy. No new layout work will need to be done."

Given that the two starting points are perfect for the situation:
1. PowerPoint is the *perfect* layout tool for a score of people who don't
want to and don't need to deal with fonts, and,
2. Adobe Illustrator on the Mac is the end point for just as practical a
reason.

The greatest news is that, on the Windows ng, we proved one powerful thing!
*There is almost zero manual layout effort*!

The only manual "layout effort" required is the minute it takes to download
and install the font set into the Mac and then to point to the Roadgeek
2005 Series B font once the PDF is opened in Adobe Illustrator.

That there is zero layout effort is a big deal, because it tells us both
that PowerPoint was the *perfect* input format (since nobody had to install
fonts and everyone had it and everyone knew how to use it), and that the
shop was handing us mush for an explanation, much like nopspam constantly
does.

Once I showed the shop that there was zero manual layout involved, the shop
finally admitted the truth (much like how nospam works).

Until they admitted truth, for them to claim manual layout meant:
a. Either they were incredibly stupid, or,
b. They were being duplicitious.

The reason I know that is the same reason I know that nospam is always that
way, which is that it's a simple fact that zero manual layout is needed if
we hand them the PowerPoint-created PDF.

The *only* manual layout needed is to load the fonts into the system and
point the Adobe Illustrator to that Roadgeek 2005 Series B font. On the
Windows newsgroup, we proved this fact beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Now all the obtuse explanations make complete sense.
They were acting like nospam does.

Aside from the fact they admitted last night they were telling us a fib
(but only when we proved it first), there's another astoundingly huge
takeaway from this process, which is that PowerPoint is the absolutely
*perfect* tool for this job, not only because we have a score of people
editing the same file, but because that file can have the fonts *embedded*
(which is something Adobe Illustrator can't do!).

So, there are two huge takeaways that we learned in this solution.

1. PowerPoint is the *best* format possible for the layout task, and,
2. Adobe Illustrator has almost literally zero manual layout required!

A "gotcha" in that process is that you have to accept that while embedding
fonts in Windows MS Office documents provides a *huge* advantage for us
(luckily, nobody was on the Mac or they would have found that the process
fails miserably on MS Office on the Mac!) - that embedding is *not*
respected by Adobe Illustrator on either Windows or the Mac.

Luckily, the only two people (actually three) who need to know that a
A. The person who created the PowerPoint needed to embed the font set.
B. The shop using Adobe Illustrator needs to install the font set.
C. Any homeowner on the Mac would also be forced to install the font set
(where, luckily, we didn't run into this Mac-only extra problem because the
score of people are all on Windows MS Office).

Thanks for all the adult help to arrive at that simple, and yet powerful
factually supported conclusion, where I thank everyone for being an adult,
and especially Paul for enabling the empirically derived solution by his
diligent and always-purposefully-helpful research and experiments.

Thanks!

None of this is intuitive; it takes someone with technical experience to
answer even these simple question, which, at this point, are all resolved!

A. The shop wasn't telling the truth... (which they admitted last night)...
B. PowerPoint is the absolutely *fantastic* choice for this layout task...
C. A PowerPoint-created PDF is also *perfect* for the final transfer task...
C. Adobe Illustrator requires *zero* manual layout effort reading that PDF....
D. The only manual task is due to the inability of Adobe Illustrator to
understand the embedded fonts in the incoming PDF document.
Old April 2nd 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

But we found a perfect solution which solves the actual endpoint problems
that we had, which were out of my control, namely:
1. A score of people had to work on the file (without installing fonts!)

and they haven't a clue what they're doing.

2. The shop is on Adobe Illustrator (which can't read embedded fonts!)

illustrator most certainly can read embedded fonts.

it might not be able to read the crap you are supplying but that's
because you have no idea what you're doing and creating non-standard
pdfs, not a flaw in illustrator.

in other words, user error.

We had an additional "psychological" issue with the shop (which is a bunch
of high-school kids), in that they were "pretending" there was a "layout"
effort, when we proved during the course of the thread on the adult
newsgroups that there is none.

they weren't pretending.
they know way more about how to do it correctly than you ever will.

Given that the two starting points are perfect for the situation:
1. PowerPoint is the *perfect* layout tool for a score of people who don't
want to and don't need to deal with fonts, and,

you just said it wasn't a layout effort. now you say it is. further
proof you have *no* idea what you're even doing.

not only that, but powerpoint is *not* a layout app and one key reason
you're having so much trouble.

2. Adobe Illustrator on the Mac is the end point for just as practical a
reason.

that reason being that illustrator is designed to do what you claim to
want to do and does it quite well.

as i said before, even an inexperienced graphics artist could have done
the entire task it in a couple of minutes, and with much better results
too.
Old April 2nd 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 02/04/2018 09:27, Ragnusen Ultred tried to highlight a sentence:-

*When you act like an adult, you won't be told you act like a child.

That doesn't 'work'.

Moving the asterisk DOES 'work'!

*When you act like an adult, you won't be told you act like a child*.

I hope that helps. :-)
Old April 2nd 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 02/04/2018 03:13, Ragnusen Ultred tried to highlight this sentence -
and failed.

*Your credibility on being right on facts is utterly worthless.*

Moving the right-hand side asterisk will improve matters, thus:-

*Your credibility on being right on facts is utterly worthless*.

HTH :-)
Old April 2nd 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Mon, 02 Apr 2018 13:44:21 -0400, schrieb nospam:

they weren't pretending.
they know way more about how to do it correctly than you ever will.

Staying on technical track, and being purposefully helpful isn't your
strength, nospam.

Meanwhile, to add on topic purposefully helpful value, I report the
following for the tribal record to archive for future users to benefit.

The shop has instantly been far more responsive now that I provided them
with the Adobe Illustrator file, where they emailed how I could eliminate
the need for them to load the font altogether, which I reproduce below for
the tribal knowledge record to benefit.
"You can embed a font in AI, by turning the font into a shape.
1) Select the font with the black arrow tool.
2) Go to the TYPE drop down menu at the top of the AI app.
3) Select "create outlines".
You would do this as you very last step ... after the layout
was correct and everything was spelled & set up correctly."

I tried it and was successful, where I outline the steps in more detail:

1. I started Windows Adobe Illustrator 12.0.0 (from the CS2 suite)
2. I opened the PDF from PowerPoint into Adobe Illustrator (AI)
3. In AI, I ran "AI: Type Find Font" to find all the fonts
4. In that form I changed "Document" to "System"
Fonts in Document: 1*
Change from: Replace with Font From: [Document]
Change to: Replace with Font From: [System]
Then change the font from: 1*
Then change the font to: Roadgeek 2005 Series B
Then hit "Change All" and then "Done"
5. The Adobe Illustrator layout is now perfectly faithful to the original
6. In AI, I pressed "V" to get into the selection tool.
7. In AI, I pressed "Control+A" to select everything.
8. In AI, I pressed "Control+Shift+O" to create outlines
9. In AI, I pressed "Save As" to saved the *outlined.ai file
10. In AI, I also saved as a PDF to create the *outlined.pdf file
11. I checked with Ai: Type "Find Fonts"
12. That showed there were no longer any fonts in the document

Voila! No fonts needed. A perfect layout.
No manual layout required whatsoever in Adobe Illustrator.
Just load the file, and print it to vinyl.

Efficiency at last!
Old April 2nd 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Efficiency at last!

it's not efficient at all.

efficient is launch illustrator (and not a pirated version), create the
sign and submit it to the print shop.