Tech Support?

Old October 2nd 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Tech Support?

On 10/1/2013 10:55 PM, nospam wrote:
In article 201310011916001393-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck

On 2013-10-01 19:02:48 -0700, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Indeed, I considred using a iPad to
transfer files from my CF cards toa portable hard drive. The Apple
people told me it couldn't be done.

it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

If you use the Apple "Camera Kit" it does.

not in the way you think.

What way do I think?
...or should I ask, what way do you think I think?

read what i said:
it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

you then said with the cck, it can do that.

that tells me you are thinking it can operate as a typical hard drive
plugged into a laptop, both read and write.

it cannot.

the cck is designed for the most common use case, copying photos from a
camera to the ipad. that's why it's called a camera connection kit and
not a hard drive interface kit.

I use the Apple "Camera Kit" to transfer image files (JPEG only as
there is little point to load RAW files onto the iPad) from SDHC cards
used in my G11 and my D300S. For The times I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D300s
without an SDHC in the second slot, or for images captured on my
Fujifilm E900 which uses the awful, and mostly incompatible xD card, I
use the USB part of the "Camera kit" to connect the camera (D300S or
E900 via USB cable.
My iPad has no problem recognizing the files on either camera.
One note, you cannot use normal card readers which require a USB power
source, the iPad does not do that.

Now, what in way was it you think I was thinking?

what you describe is the normal task of copying photos from a card or
camera to the ipad and is fully supported. i never said otherwise.

as for hard drives, any usb hard drive would do the same thing
(assuming it's self-powered, obviously) and only if the photos were in
the same folder hierarchy as a camera's memory card (dcim folder).

the ipad sees the drive as a memory card and as with a card, it's
read-only. that is not an issue for 99% of use cases. people want to
copy photos off the cards so that they can reuse them to take more
photos, not write images back to them.

it's *extremely* rare that someone would want to copy photos to a card,
especially from a device that has a much better method of displaying
them and the connectivity to upload them to pretty much anywhere.

All of which proves, that the iPad port, does not function as a USB
port. Which is the function i need.

--
PeterN
Old October 3rd 13, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

read what i said:
[...]

Sorry Peter, USB ports are only a connection. What the hardware does
with it is up to the software on each side.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for more than you ever wanted to
know.

Eric Stevens
Old October 3rd 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

read what i said:
[...]

I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

--
PeterN
Old October 3rd 13, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

read what i said:
[...]

Nope! The iPad USB is not going to have enough juice to do that. A
standard USB card reader hooked up to an IPad with the USB connector
provided in the "Camera Connection Kit" is going to give you this
message.
https://db.tt/UduMmVDt

However there are powered USB hard drives designed to work with the
iPad which will get you close to what you are looking for.

Savageduck

read what i said:
[...]

I don't think you can but that's largely because of the lack of
suitable software in the iPad. I expect it could be done but Apple
haven't seen fit.

Eric Stevens
Old October 3rd 13, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 03/10/2013 03:44, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:32:52 -0400, PeterN

[]
I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

I don't think you can but that's largely because of the lack of
suitable software in the iPad. I expect it could be done but Apple
haven't seen fit.

Can the iPad do anything useful with an OTG cable, or is that limited to
the micro-USB connector?
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 3rd 13, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-10-02 22:00:27 -0700, David Taylor
said:

On 03/10/2013 03:44, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:32:52 -0400, PeterN

[]
I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

I don't think you can but that's largely because of the lack of
suitable software in the iPad. I expect it could be done but Apple
haven't seen fit.

Can the iPad do anything useful with an OTG cable, or is that limited
to the micro-USB connector?

iPads, iPhones, & iPods use an Apple proprietary USB to 30-pin cable
for earlier models, and an Apple USB to "Lightning" cable. This
facilitates charging when connected to a USB charger, or charging and
syncing when connected to a computer (Apple or Windows, desktop or
laptop).
It will sync apps and related data, and will permit document exchange
between iDevice and computer.
When connected, on my Mac, Lightroom sees the iDevice (iPhone or iPad)
as a camera and prompts for the download of any images on the device.
If using a Mac with iPhoto active, that will do the same (I don't use
iPhoto).

The Apple "Camera Connection Kit" for 30-pin models comes as two
pieces; a SDcard reader and a USB port. This USB port is for connecting
cameras using CF cards. Hyperdrive also makes use of this port for its
powered iPad portable hard drives. It can also be used for non-power
hungry devices.
This is the one I use.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...connection-kit

For the newer models with the "Lightning" connector the card reader and
the USB port are fixed to a cable.

Personally, I have little use for the USB-30-pin cable other than
charging and syncing on my Mac. I manage image file transfer between
iDevices and computer with the "Photo Transfer App" which uses a Wi-Fi
connection, and Dropbox.
http://phototransferapp.com/

Savageduck

Old October 3rd 13, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

All of which proves, that the iPad port, does not function as a USB
port. Which is the function i need.

Sorry Peter, USB ports are only a connection. What the hardware does
with it is up to the software on each side.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for more than you ever wanted to
know.

I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

no.

that is *well* beyond what any tablet could do, ipad or not.

a tablet doesn't fit your needs. no big deal. buy something else that
does.

that doesn't mean an ipad is crap, it means that your particular use
case is not what it was designed to do.

it's like buying a car and wondering why you can't put a piano in the
trunk. a car was not designed to move pianos. for that you have to get
a truck (and additional people).
Old October 3rd 13, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

All of which proves, that the iPad port, does not function as a USB
port. Which is the function i need.

what it proves is you don't understand what you're talking about. no
surprise there.

usb devices are either a host (i.e, a computer) or a peripheral (i.e, a
hard drive or printer). the ipad is a usb peripheral. it connects to a
usb host, such as your computer, both to charge and sync data.

it does not connect to other usb peripherals. that's why a usb cable
has different plugs at either end, because two usb peripherals can't
talk to each other. there has to be a host.

however, by using the camera connection kit, it is possible to plug
some usb peripherals into the ipad, making it function as a usb host.
that's for specific use cases, such as copying photos from a memory
card or for audio/midi support. it's not for generic usb host support,
which makes no sense for most devices.
Old October 3rd 13, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

However there are powered USB hard drives designed to work with the
iPad which will get you close to what you are looking for.

no there aren't. what he wants to do can't be done on an ipad or an
android tablet either.

there are other devices that fit his needs.