O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

Old August 7th 13, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nibbling on an Apple

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:50:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Eric Stevens
Old August 7th 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 06:41:18 -0500, Dudley Hanks
wrote:
: Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've taken a small step over
: to the dark side: I've picked up an iPad Mini...
:
: Like most Apple devices I've worked with, it seems this one does
: nothing extraordinarily well, but it is rather
: versatile.
:
: ...
:
: All in all, I have to say that I'm pleased with the iPad Mini,
: not for what I purchased it for, but, rather, for the way it has
: proven to help me with every day tasks I've been struggling with
: for several decades.
:
: Nice work, Apple.

Rich A will have a contract out on you soon enough, for that heresy. Recant
now or beware.

Bob
Old August 7th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-06 18:13:21 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

Exactly! However, some of us here are curious as to when it was you got
yourself an iPad?

Savageduck

Old August 7th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

definitely not crap. it's progress and can't happen soon enough. file
system access is primitive.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

then she's not taking advantage of all of its functionality.

you don't need direct file system access to manage photos. far from it.
the computer can do that *for* you.

faces and places automatically groups photos by who is in them and
where they were taken, or the photos can be put into one or more
albums, something that can't be done with a filesystem.

ios 7 also has another way to look at large numbers of photos and
quickly figure out which ones are the ones you want to look at, but
it's not out yet.
Old August 7th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

no. it's a higher level concept.

it's actually a database indexed by content, not a rigid file/folder
structure. one photo can be in multiple albums, something not possible
with a file system.

it's the same for music. you can search music by various things, such
as artist, album, genre or title. you can also create playlists with
whatever you want in them. as with photos, one song can be in multiple
playlists (or no playlists).

playlists can also be smart and automatically update themselves based
on rules you define, such as least recently played, rated 4 * or higher
or music from the '60s or some other ruleset. if you play a song, it's
automatically removed from least recently played and if you downrate it
to 3* or less, it will be removed from the 4* or better playlist, all
automatically.
Old August 7th 13, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Exactly! However, some of us here are curious as to when it was you got
yourself an iPad?

Month or so ago. I wanted a way to take photos with me to show some
people. So far, I've never added a - whaddayacallit - an app? or used
for anything else. Rather than let technology lead me by the nose, I
add what I want when I want it.

adding apps is hardly letting technology lead you.

you get to choose which apps to install and what you do with them.

you installed apps on your laptop and desktop computer, so why not on
an ipad?
Old August 7th 13, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

Exactly - but nospam doesn't seem to realise that.

Eric Stevens
Old August 7th 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 22:21:49 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

no. it's a higher level concept.

it's actually a database indexed by content, not a rigid file/folder
structure. one photo can be in multiple albums, something not possible
with a file system.

You can't do any of these things without a file system.

Old August 7th 13, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 22:21:46 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

definitely not crap. it's progress and can't happen soon enough. file
system access is primitive.

It's your original statement that is crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

then she's not taking advantage of all of its functionality.

How can you possibly know that?

you don't need direct file system access to manage photos. far from it.
the computer can do that *for* you.

Twisting. Shifting the goal posts. The question is not whether you
have "direct file system access" but whether or not you have a "file
system".

faces and places automatically groups photos by who is in them and
where they were taken, or the photos can be put into one or more
albums, something that can't be done with a filesystem.

Weasel! You are describing what it is that the file system doe.

ios 7 also has another way to look at large numbers of photos and
quickly figure out which ones are the ones you want to look at, but
it's not out yet.

... and it will keep track of them with table of random numbers?

Naah. It's got a file system.

Eric Stevens
Old August 7th 13, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

Exactly! However, some of us here are curious as to when it was you got
yourself an iPad?

Month or so ago. I wanted a way to take photos with me to show some
people. So far, I've never added a - whaddayacallit - an app? or used
for anything else. Rather than let technology lead me by the nose, I
add what I want when I want it.

I did try to take a photograph with it earlier this evening. The
grandsons had wrestling practice, so I tried to take a photo. I found
it doesn't work too well with my finger over the lens. Finally got
one image and went to the car and got my Fuji compact for the rest.

Pop Warner football starts this week, so I'll be back to the Nikon.
They got their practice kit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohhve1k3je...3-08-05-01.JPG

You might want to add Dropbox to your iPad. Another useful app for your
desktop and iPad is "Photo Transfer App".
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

Also, as a photographer I suggest you take a look at "Eyewitness" from
the Guardian.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...363993651?mt=8

The Wikipedia App is worth having installed;
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wiki...324715238?mt=8

....and if you want to see just how good streaming video can be on an
iPad, check the Smithsonian Channel app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smit...377458454?mt=8

I use a couple of birder's field guides (on iPhone & iPad) which saves
lugging a paper edition around.

Just a few things look at, if they don't interest you, then so be it.

Savageduck