Question on Portraits

Old May 29th 04, 11:55 AM
Joao Pedro Sousa

Default Question on Portraits

Dear friends:
Pursuing my recent discovery of Technical Pan and using it for portraits,can
anyone tell me how to best use it for good exposed photos? Maybe at ISO
25,no? So as not to have such a great contrast between whiter and blacker
parts,true?
Is it a good film for portraits and nudes?
Thanks in advance.
Joao Sousa

Old June 18th 04, 01:19 AM
Jos. Burke

I have had excellent results using 120 film (And a Hasselblad!) Technical
Pan for Portraiture. I have rated it at 18 ISO and processed normally in
Technidol (Your pro lab will likely do this as well for an extra fee, of
course!). Contrast is no problem with Technidol dev and I've heard Rodinal
at 1:100 is good as well. My prints at 16x16 are astounding and really put
TMax to shame. I shoot 4x5 as well and 120 Tech Pan printed at 16x16 could
be easily confused for a TMAX 4x5 shot. It is an incredible film.
Needless to say you'll need a lot of lighting power for a film rated at 18
ISO !!!
Well worth the trouble!!!
Jos. Burke

Old June 19th 04, 05:17 PM
JustaPawn

I've come to the realization TMax really sucks!

Old June 19th 04, 06:59 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , JustaPawn
wrote:

I've come to the realization TMax really sucks!

You obviously have limited knowledge and/or experience with photography.
Old June 22nd 04, 01:00 AM
Jos. Burke

To the contrary I do like Tmax--- I took some interior shots of a late
1700's era abanded home last fall and was concerned with the low interior
light levels. Using my 4x5 Deardorff and TMax 400 (yes, 400!!) (Rated at
320) I got some great images --though we tend to re-evaluate our composition
after the fact. Exceptional detail--very impressive for a 400 speed film.
Metering was dead on with my Pentax Diital Spot and TMAX shines with longer
(timed) exposures.I just hate clearing the film and I have a little trouble
with the tonal rendition as compared to an older tech film.
I'm learning though!!
I wouldn't attempt the same shot with Tech Pan at ISO 18 (as I rate it).
I'm not comfortable with the mathematics of that one!!
J Burke
"JustaPawn" wrote in message
I've come to the realization TMax really sucks!

My prints at 16x16 are astounding and really put
TMax to shame. I shoot 4x5 as well and 120 Tech Pan printed at 16x16 could
be easily confused for a TMAX 4x5 shot.

type of film for senior portraits Sam Carleton Photographing People 12 June 11th 04 08:34 PM
Bellows question T R In The Darkroom 4 March 10th 04 04:48 PM
Newbie question: lenses MikeWhy Large Format Photography Equipment 13 February 1st 04 08:24 PM
Lask question about KIEV Stacey Medium Format Photography Equipment 3 January 31st 04 03:52 AM
MF resolution question Faisal Bhua Film & Labs 42 December 17th 03 02:14 PM