Interchangeable focusing screens - which dSLRs ?

Old April 30th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default Interchangeable focusing screens - which dSLRs ?

goldtech wrote:
Hi,

I been making some expensive mistakes in dSLR purchases and want to
ask here so I can hopefully avoid hair pulling in the future.

What dSLRs have interchangeable focusing screens? And have a screens w/
split-image and micro/multi-prism? I am asking about true user
interchangeability and a choice of screens from the manufacturer.

Fx Canon models. Perhaps Sony a900?
But I don't believe it's significantly harder to replace a screen on
other maker's dslrs with aftermarket "Katz eye" screens.
IMO split image is close to a total waste of time, as in most
photography (apart from macro copy work perhaps) the desired focus point
is never in the centre of the screen, and with shallow DOF where focus
is critical, "focus and compose" technique is vastly inferior in
practice than being able to put an (AF) focus point right where you want
it. Microprism is useless with slow lenses, and it's usually also
confined to center of the frame around the split image circle.
YMMV.

What dSLRs have auto focusing tweaking that the user can do via a
menu? Some don't have this and required sending back to the service
center - not good. I need user tweaking if it's ever necessary...

Thanks, I'm missing these options on my current dSLR and I require
them.

Nikon D300/700/3/3x
Canon 5dII, 50d and up.
Sony a900.
Some pentax / samsung models?
Old April 30th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

Me wrote:
goldtech wrote:
What dSLRs have interchangeable focusing screens?

But I don't believe it's significantly harder to replace a screen on
other maker's dslrs with aftermarket "Katz eye" screens.

It depends on what you call "interchangeable" and "harder". There
are some DSLRs in which you just move a little clip, pull out the old
screen, drop in the new one, and push the clip back, and just about
anybody could do that at home. (Most Canons, I think.) There are other
models for which it's rather more difficult and not recommended for
anybody who isn't an experienced technician. (Most Olympuses, for
example..) But they're all "replaceable" in the sense that the screen
isn't an integral part of the chassis or anything.

I got an aftermarket focusing screen for my first DSLR, because I
missed the old split prism. But eventually I came to realize it didn't
matter that much, and when I got my second DSLR, I didn't bother with
it and haven't missed it. I'd wait and think carefully about whether
you really need an aftermarket screen before going ahead and doing it.
Some people may really need it; I didn't.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me
Old May 2nd 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:07:25 +0000 (UTC), Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner
wrote:
:
[...]

In my experience, the biggest advantage of a replacement screen is grid lines
to help with getting the horizontals and verticals right.

Bob
Old May 2nd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

Robert Coe wrote:

In my experience, the biggest advantage of a replacement screen is grid lines
to help with getting the horizontals and verticals right.

The Nikon D700 has grid lines that can be turned on and off. You don't
need to buy a replacement screen.

On the other hand, the grid lines also work when an aftermarket
replacement screen is fitted, such as the Katz Eye.

Old May 2nd 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Bruce wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:
In my experience, the biggest advantage of a replacement screen is grid lines
to help with getting the horizontals and verticals right.

The Nikon D700 has grid lines that can be turned on and off. You don't
need to buy a replacement screen.

On the other hand, the grid lines also work when an aftermarket
replacement screen is fitted, such as the Katz Eye.

Viewfinder gridlines are standard in most (all?) Nikon dslrs. AFAIK
Nikon don't offer non-standard screens for any of their dslrs. I think
that they're on the right track.
Old May 3rd 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Me wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:

In my experience, the biggest advantage of a replacement screen is
grid lines to help with getting the horizontals and verticals right.

The Nikon D700 has grid lines that can be turned on and off. You don't
need to buy a replacement screen.

On the other hand, the grid lines also work when an aftermarket
replacement screen is fitted, such as the Katz Eye.

Viewfinder gridlines are standard in most (all?) Nikon dslrs. AFAIK
Nikon don't offer non-standard screens for any of their dslrs. I think
that they're on the right track.

I got a Katz Eye for my D200 because I use a lot of old manual lenses. I
decided that I don't really need it for the D700 because it's a bigger
viewfinder and sometimes an annoying obstruction on the D200, though
often useful. It's definitely not the sort of thing you would change in
the field, it requires tweezers & a clean environment to prevent dust
getting sandwiched in there. I would be curious to try something like
Alan mentioned for his Sony, 'Acute Matte' but nobody seems to make such
a thing for Nikons.

The D200 has optional grid lines too, maybe not the D70 before that? I
still am pretty bad about keeping the horizon straight :-(

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 3rd 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Paul Furman
wrote:

The D200 has optional grid lines too, maybe not the D70 before that? I
still am pretty bad about keeping the horizon straight :-(

d70 had grid lines
Old May 3rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

Paul Furman wrote:

I got a Katz Eye for my D200 because I use a lot of old manual lenses. I
decided that I don't really need it for the D700 because it's a bigger
viewfinder and sometimes an annoying obstruction on the D200, though
often useful.

The Katz Eye screen for the D700 is different from the Katz Eye screens
for all other Nikon DSLRs. It is far less obtrusive - just a small
central split image rangefinder without the surrounding microprism that
the Katz Eye screens for every other Nikon DSLR share. See the
comparison he

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ni...cat_nikon.html

It's definitely not the sort of thing you would change in
the field, it requires tweezers & a clean environment to prevent dust
getting sandwiched in there.

Agreed - clinically clean conditions are required, and it should be
fitted once only and left in place.

I would be curious to try something like
Alan mentioned for his Sony, 'Acute Matte' but nobody seems to make such
a thing for Nikons.

The Katz Eye screen is described as a "Laser Matte" and I find it
excellent for focusing, and also for estimating depth of field at
apertures of f/4 and smaller. The DOF at larger apertures doesn't
really show, but that's true of just about any SLR focusing screen.

There isn't yet a version with Optibrite treatment but one is stated to
be under development.

The D200 has optional grid lines too, maybe not the D70 before that?

I'm not sure how many Nikon DSLRs have the switchable grid lines. The
D3 definitely doesn't. I don't think the D3X has them either (although
I would welcome a correction if it does). The first Nikon SLR to be
fitted with them was the N80/F80.

I still am pretty bad about keeping the horizon straight :-(

AOL Me too. /AOL

Old May 3rd 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

The D200 has optional grid lines too, maybe not the D70 before that?

I'm not sure how many Nikon DSLRs have the switchable grid lines. The
D3 definitely doesn't.

it does in live view, and it also has an artificial horizon.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Ni.../TV20070921145
01701.jpg
Old May 3rd 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Bruce wrote:

I'm not sure how many Nikon DSLRs have the switchable grid lines. The
D3 definitely doesn't. I don't think the D3X has them either (although
I would welcome a correction if it does). The first Nikon SLR to be
fitted with them was the N80/F80.

According to specs, the D3 and D3x do have on-demand grid lines.

I still am pretty bad about keeping the horizon straight :-(

AOL Me too. /AOL

Me too. The on-demand grid-lines aren't a cure-all.
At wide-angle, they can be a nuisance, as they draw my attention to
lines in the composition which aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical,
and don't /need/ to be. I have the grid line toggle set in "my menu" so
I can get to it easily in the field.