Polorizer effect from PS Elements

Old December 16th 04, 06:11 PM
George Johnston

Default Polorizer effect from PS Elements

I am considering purchaising a Canon 20D with a Sigma 12-24 zoom, which uses
only rear drop in filters. Polorizers are out. Can you give photos a polorizing
effect with PS Elemenmts. I can't figure out how.
Old December 16th 04, 06:35 PM
Joseph Meehan

George Johnston wrote:
I am considering purchaising a Canon 20D with a Sigma 12-24 zoom,
which uses only rear drop in filters. Polorizers are out. Can you
give photos a polorizing effect with PS Elemenmts. I can't figure out
how.

No. A polarizing filter works by using the polarized light coming from
different subjects at different angles. After the fact that polarizing is
lost and can not be re-created since it was not recorded. There is no other
trace of it.

You can play with a number of contrast and brightness controls on
different areas of the image and try to get something that approximates it,
but it will not be the same.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 16th 04, 06:54 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:41:49 GMT, "John Doe"
wrote:

No. There is no way to create a digital polarizing effect.

John

Tell that to Peter Inova who includes a photoshop action to do it in
his Nikon DSLR books:

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/polarizer.html

It depends on if you want true polarizing, or just the look...

--
Owamanga!

Old December 16th 04, 07:28 PM
Jeremy

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

You can play with a number of contrast and brightness controls on
different areas of the image and try to get something that approximates

it,
but it will not be the same.

The OP does not say specifically what his objective is.

If all he wants to do is darken the sky, he can achieve that effect fairly
easily in most editing software

There is a filter in Paint Shop Pro (version 7 and onward) called "Clarify,"
that brings out shadows on the objects in a manner somewhat like a
polarizer would, but it does not darken skies or cut through glare.

But if the OP is trying to cut through the glare typically found on the
surfaces of bodies of of water, or trying to shoot through a glass
storefront or car windows, and wants to minimize unwanted reflections,
you're right, he is out of luck. He really needs to be a bit more specific
about his objective.

Old December 16th 04, 10:01 PM
ZONED!

wrote:

No. There is no way to create a digital polarizing effect.

John

Tell that to Peter Inova who includes a photoshop action to do it in
his Nikon DSLR books:

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/polarizer.html

It depends on if you want true polarizing, or just the look...

Looking at the images it looks like all it does is saturate a
cloudless sky.

--
Owamanga!