Adorama got me, not good

Old January 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Zonmail

Default Adorama got me, not good

A few months back I came to this forum to get some information about
professional labs and I was pointed to Adorama. I should have known better when
it took about 3 months for them to send me a mailer, but in a moment of
weakness and not wanting to chance important photos to the local one hour photo
place I sent in some very special shots to Adorama, this was 12/22. I called
after the New Year but they had an exucuse about the number of business days. I
called again today and they say they never got the film. I think it would have
come back to me as my return address was on it and I think they lost it. I had
a check in there but that is not important, the film is important. This company
seems difficult to deal with. I am wondering about others experiences and what
recourse if any I have. I only have my stub from the mailer, I should have
mailed this so that I could have tracked it.

Thanks for any help.

Joel Stern
Old January 7th 04, 12:41 PM

Zonmail wrote:
weakness and not wanting to chance important photos to the local one hour photo
place I sent in some very special shots to Adorama, this was 12/22. I called

When I've got really important rolls, ones I care about,
I have them processed locally, just because I've had rolls
lost by mail-off processors a couple of times. :-(

difficult to deal with. I am wondering about others experiences and what
recourse if any I have. I only have my stub from the mailer, I should have

I've never used Adorama's processing--no idea if they do it
themselves or send it to a lab near them. I've bought equipment
and supplies from Adorama a number of times, and I've never had
a bad experience on that. Not that it helps you, of course.

When it's happened to me, I've called the processor, asked
for the manager, and explained how much I wanted the film
and asked that they try their best to find it--but that hasn't
ever actually worked.

BTW, it IS possible that it really was lost in the mail system--
I've had that happen twice in the last few months.

Fingers crossed for your film ..

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old January 7th 04, 07:50 PM
Gordon Moat

Zonmail wrote:

[...]

Contact the postal service, and have them do a trace of your mailing. This was
holiday time mailing, so it could have been lost in the volume.

Anytime you are mailing something important, send it return receipt, or use
Priority Mail, or UPS, to get a tracking number.

The unfortunate thing is that the postal service tracing will be very slow, and
might still not discover what happened to your letter.

Of course, you could assume that Adorama got it, screwed it up, and choose to lie
to you. Maybe they did, but you have a middle man in the US Postal Service, and
they are not operating without errors. Gather as many facts as you can first, then
nail the guilty party.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
Alliance Graphique Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old January 8th 04, 05:21 PM
Joe Pucillo

Wasn't it Zonmail who said...
I think it would have
come back to me as my return address was on it and I think they lost it.

I would be much, MUCH more apt to place the blame with the post
office than with Adorama - though it could be that you're right.

I received a check in yesterday's mail that my client forgot to put
my box number on - five weeks ago! It took her four weeks to get
the misaddressed envelope back, and she lives in the next zip code
over.

I avoid the post office for everything except first class mail
(especially that bogus "service" they call priority mail - which is
just first class mail with a bigger stamp) and send anything of even
moderate importance via UPS. It's tracked, it's insured and it's
accountable.

--
Joe Pucillo
Baltimore, Maryland USA

To reply by email, please remove the .xx from the address.
Old January 9th 04, 08:23 PM
Stuart Droker

Next time ship U.P.S. That way you can track your film and know who lost
it.

Old January 12th 04, 01:33 AM
Michael A. Covington

You can go even further and protect really irreplaceable work by using two
rolls of film and having them processed separately (different labs, or at
least different dates).

Even so... NO film should be lost... it's always sad when film is lost.

Old January 12th 04, 04:21 AM
John Horner

From time to time I have seen the postal service loose mail for four to
eight weeks. One of my rolls which was sent to Kodak disappeared for almost
two months.

It is possible that Adorama may have lost your stuff, but the USPS is more
likely to blame.

John