Upgrade from Canon 18-55 EFS

Old December 2nd 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Upgrade from Canon 18-55 EFS

I'm looking for an upgrade from this lens. I'm looking for a bit more speed
and sharpness on the long end. While not bad, the 18-55 shows some chromatic
aberration (purple fringing) at some settings. The curved ocean horizon
shots didn't look that great either thanks to lens distortion.

If you have experience with your lens under various shooting conditions, I'd
like to here from you.
Thanks -S

BTW, I'm using the 6mp Rebel. May upgrade to the next Rebel (hopefully 10+
mp) when it is released.

Old December 2nd 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SimonLW" wrote in message
I'm looking for an upgrade from this lens. I'm looking for a bit more
speed and sharpness on the long end. While not bad, the 18-55 shows some
chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at some settings. The curved ocean
horizon shots didn't look that great either thanks to lens distortion.

If you have experience with your lens under various shooting conditions,
I'd like to here from you.
Thanks -S

BTW, I'm using the 6mp Rebel. May upgrade to the next Rebel (hopefully 10+
mp) when it is released.

It depends on what you want to spend. The 17-85 f4.5-5.6 isn't any faster,
but is a better lens, wide to long, wide open to stopped down. The 17-40
f4L is an f4 for its entire range, so it's a stop faster on the long end,
and is an excellent lens, especially for $600 or so. Or you can go to the
24-70 f2.8L, 2 stops faster at the long end, much sharper, and $1200.
Probably your best choice with more than 8mp are factored in.
Like the man said about cars, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to
go?"

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 3rd 05, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Skip M wrote:
Or you can go to the 24-70 f2.8L, 2 stops faster at the long end,
much sharper, and $1200.

If losing the wide end isn't a problem, what about the 24-85/3.5-4.5 ?
Not that it's going to hold a candle to the 24-70L, but it's quarter the
price.

- Len
Old December 3rd 05, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:29:43 +0000, David Littlewood
wrote:

In article 8M1kf.2732$4v.732@fed1read03, Skip M
writes
"SimonLW" wrote in message
[...]

Reminds me of the old engineering saying "quality, speed or price, pick
any two".

David

And, of course, the "Racer's Creed": overkill is just about right.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old December 5th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

"No replacement for displacement."