Dpreview's Nikon D300 forum dead as a door nail

Old July 3rd 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Dpreview's Nikon D300 forum dead as a door nail

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:36:04 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: In the Canon world, I believe the 7D has the same (18MP) sensor as the T2i
: (550D). I guess the 7D had it first, so the situations may not be
: precisely comparable.
:
: Yes and it's a bit strange the 550 has been replaced by first the 600D and
: now the 650D, and the 7D lacks so many of the latters features and still
: sells for twice as much.

I don't follow that at all. The only feature on the T4i that I see as better
than the 7D is the articulated screen. The 7D has better controls, and the
T4i's lack of autofocus microadjustment would be a deal breaker for me. My
17-55mm f/2.8 requires a +9 microadjustment on one of my 7D's (and almost as
much on the other, IIRC).

: Although I doubt they sell many these days, presumably so few they don't
: think an upgrade is even worth the effort.

Really? They're advertising a supposedly major firmware upgrade to the 7D in
August, and Bruce claims that a 7D Mk 2 is slated for the fall.

Bob
Old July 3rd 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
: In the Canon world, I believe the 7D has the same (18MP) sensor as the
T2i
: (550D). I guess the 7D had it first, so the situations may not be
: precisely comparable.
:
: Yes and it's a bit strange the 550 has been replaced by first the 600D
and
: now the 650D, and the 7D lacks so many of the latters features and still
: sells for twice as much.

I don't follow that at all. The only feature on the T4i that I see as
better
than the 7D is the articulated screen.

You're not looking hard enough then.

The 7D has better controls,

No argument, but are they worth twice the price to most people other than
you? When you can buy a 5D2 for not much more money, *I* certainly don't
think so.

and the
T4i's lack of autofocus microadjustment would be a deal breaker for me.

For you perhps, but I wouldn't add a 7D to my Canon collection just for it's
AF. I would, and have gone for the better models instead, and even the 60D
for it's features and low cost back-up.

: Although I doubt they sell many these days, presumably so few they don't
: think an upgrade is even worth the effort.

Really? They're advertising a supposedly major firmware upgrade to the 7D
in
August,

A firmware upgrade, big deal. :-)

and Bruce claims that a 7D Mk 2 is slated for the fall.

Which still means the bread and butter model gets two or three upgrades in
the same time as the 7D gets one, so I guess that proves which Canon thinks
is more important.
My attitude to the 7D is it's too expensive for most amateurs when it's
pictures can be equalled by camera's half the price, and not really good
enough for most pro's, so it sits in a fairly niche market. AFAIC it's price
is only reflective of it's lower volume, and therefore not the best value in
the Canon line up. You are entitled to a different opinion of course :-)

Trevor.