Nimh battery type question

Old November 28th 04, 02:48 PM
John

Default Nimh battery type question

Why is it that some device manuals (such as my Gameboy Advance among others)
indicate that I cannot use Nimh type batteries in my unit. Is this true, and
will it ruin my gameboy, Walkman, Discman, GPS if I do indeed use Nimh type
batteries in them?

Thanks

John
Old November 28th 04, 04:42 PM
Ken Weitzel

John wrote:
Why is it that some device manuals (such as my Gameboy Advance among others)
indicate that I cannot use Nimh type batteries in my unit. Is this true, and
will it ruin my gameboy, Walkman, Discman, GPS if I do indeed use Nimh type
batteries in them?

Thanks

John

Hi...

"Regular" alkaline and old carbon-zinc batteries are
1.5 volts.

Nimh and nicd's are 1.2 volts.

However, trying them should't hurt the device.

Ken

Old November 28th 04, 05:05 PM
Michael A. Covington

"John" wrote in message
Why is it that some device manuals (such as my Gameboy Advance among
others)
indicate that I cannot use Nimh type batteries in my unit. Is this true,
and
will it ruin my gameboy, Walkman, Discman, GPS if I do indeed use Nimh
type
batteries in them?

Probably because of the slightly lower voltage.

NiCd and NiMH batteries are 1.25 volts under load; carbon-zinc alkaline
batteries, 1.5 volts. No damage will result from using an NiCd or NiMH
battery, but it will seem to be too weak and won't last long.

If they say NiCd is OK but NiMH isn't, that's a much harder problem, since
there is almost no electrical difference between them. The only device that
should suit one and not the other is a charger, because NiMH has higher
capacity and some NiCd chargers don't deliver enough power into them.

Old November 28th 04, 05:05 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ylmqd.360224$Pl.76361@pd7tw1no,
Ken Weitzel wrote:

However, trying them should't hurt the device.

Bad advice. NiMh cells out gas and are ventilated. The products that use
them also have to be vented. A classic example occurred a few years ago
with a major brand of underwater flash equipment. Their flash units at
that time were not properly ventilated for NiMh cells and several
exploded while being used with NiMh cells.

There are also other differences between NiMh and alkaline cells besides
the nominal voltage. Things like the discharge curves and the current
rating.

I own an RCA remote for entertainment centers that uses four AAA cells.
I get far longer operation on a set of alkaline cells then I do with
NiMh cells with this system. Unfortunate as I would rather not continue
buying the alkaline cells.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old November 28th 04, 05:38 PM
Andy Hewitt

Ken Weitzel wrote:

However, trying them should't hurt the device.

Bad advice. NiMh cells out gas and are ventilated. The products that use
them also have to be vented. A classic example occurred a few years ago
with a major brand of underwater flash equipment. Their flash units at
that time were not properly ventilated for NiMh cells and several
exploded while being used with NiMh cells.

There are also other differences between NiMh and alkaline cells besides
the nominal voltage. Things like the discharge curves and the current
rating.

I own an RCA remote for entertainment centers that uses four AAA cells.
I get far longer operation on a set of alkaline cells then I do with
NiMh cells with this system. Unfortunate as I would rather not continue
buying the alkaline cells.

What about rechargeable alkalines?

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Old November 28th 04, 06:07 PM
Michael A. Covington

What about rechargeable alkalines?

Worst of several worlds, from what I hear.