picasaweb vs google photos

Old January 4th 19, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default picasaweb vs google photos

Hi.

In the past I've used picasaweb and what I liked about it was
that when I was sharing an album of pictures, people could easily
click on a link to get to an overview of all albums shared by me.

I wonder why this is no longer seems possible with google
photos. I can share a particular album via a link, but then
the person receiving this link doesn't seem to have any way to
get to an overview of all albums I'm sharing on google photos.
It feels like google is imposing some unreasonable restrictions
on my freedom to share pictures.
Sure, some people might prefer it if they can share an album
without giving people access to all the pictures or all the
albums they share, but why is this not an option so people
get to pick what suits their preferences?

Google photos offers a lot of free space (especially considering
that flickr recently dramatically downgraded their free photo
sharing space from 1 TB to something like 1000 pictures), but
it seems to be kind of useless for photosharing if you can't
even do something basic like providing an overview of shared
albums via a link (like it used to be possible via picasa
webalbums).
Old January 5th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 4, 2019, sobriquet wrote
(in ):

[...]

The free Flickr option of 1000 images is reasonable, particularly for most
non-pro photographers. You can still share individual images and albums. You
just can’t accumulate a massive library of images, and expect them to host
a collection in excess of 1000 images for nothing. After all, just how long
do you anticipate storing you images for sharing without culling down below
the 100 image limit?

There are costs that they are not compelled to absorb, just because you
don’t like the idea of paying for anything. So my suggestion, is reconsider
a limited (1000 image) free Flickr account, and work within the limitations
to share images and/or galleries/albums.

Savageduck

Old January 5th 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 4, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

do you anticipate storing your images for sharing without culling down below
the 100 image limit?

....er, 1000 image limit.

Old January 5th 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 12:19:12 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

These costs can't be the reason. Google still offers *unlimited*
storage space (provided they can compress the jpg files) for
free.
Maybe they will eventually add a feature allowing you to share
a link to an overview of shared albums. It just mystifies me
why they haven't already done so, but I guess they wanted to
orient the service more towards backup and private sharing
where it's more typical that you'd like to share a particular
album with friends. Perhaps it was also a way for them to
avoid all the copyright hassle they get exposed to
when offering people more freedom to share stuff as people
typically share stuff rather indiscriminately.

The 1000 images limit at flickr is unreasonable in proportion
to the 1 TB limit for free accounts. 1000 images is a tiny
fraction of 1 TB, so they kind of went from a generous free
amount of space to a rather crammed amount of free space.
But I guess the pendulum swings back and forth.. probably
at some point in the future they switch back to offering
more space, as disk space generally only gets cheaper.
Old January 5th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 1:18:21 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

https://www.howtogeek.com/133062/the...than-facebook/

Maybe shutterfly is an option.. they seem to offer unlimited storage
space as well and supposedly it's easier to share albums there.

Did anyone try this who has a reasonable selection of albums to
get an impression what that looks like?

I'm looking for something similar to the way picasaweb allowed one
to share a range of albums (a nice bonus would be if it has
the ability to shuffle pics in a slideshow):

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...46033118696357

My flickr account has some albums, but I tend to use it more for
digital art lately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thcganja/
Old January 5th 19, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 04/01/2019 20:31, sobriquet wrote:

[...]

I don't have an obvious answer to your questions beyond those published
by Flickr. Google's sharing and compression arrangements are I'd have
thought to do with its business model, and monetising data.

I used Flickr a lot. I used it well within the new 1000 pics limit - the
biggest limitation for me came recently with the removal of Photos (the
Mac picture manager and basic editor) integration.

So I now use a 200GB cloud service from Apple - about $3/month. Just
makes life simpler, and I can use it to back up other data. An example:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0z532ODWLFRHJ

--
Cheers, Rob
Old January 5th 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 05/01/2019 00:18, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

Which simply tells you that Google is better at monetarising the
service. A terabyte of disk space still has to be paid for.
Old January 5th 19, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 9:31:16 PM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

In the google photo communities someone mentioned the option of using
google docs for a basic overview of multiple shared albums.

https://support.google.com/photos/thread/918348