is a CF card necessary for a Canon Digital Rebel?

Old March 30th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default is a CF card necessary for a Canon Digital Rebel?

i just bought a new Rebel XTI and from the user manual i understand
that it is NOT necessary to use a CF card. i adjusted my settings
accordingly and tried to use my Rebel without the CF card and it told
me that i had to insert a CF card. i inserted a CF card from my old
digital camera, formated it and then i was able to take pictures.
since it was an older smaller CF card it only took 3 pictures. i
understand that i need a 2GB or higher CF card.

can anyone explain to me how to use the Rebel without a CF card and if
you can how are the pictures stored?

thanks!

~ CINDy

Old March 30th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

wrote in message
oups.com...
i just bought a new Rebel XTI and from the user manual i understand
that it is NOT necessary to use a CF card. i adjusted my settings
accordingly and tried to use my Rebel without the CF card and it told
me that i had to insert a CF card. i inserted a CF card from my old
digital camera, formated it and then i was able to take pictures.
since it was an older smaller CF card it only took 3 pictures. i
understand that i need a 2GB or higher CF card.

can anyone explain to me how to use the Rebel without a CF card and if
you can how are the pictures stored?

thanks!

~ CINDy

You can't actually capture images without a CF card, but you can set it to
shoot without a card, it's in the menu in the "red" image related section on
my 5D, on my daughter's XT, it's in the first yellow section, at the bottom,
I'm not sure where it is on yours. It's called, "shoot w/o card." All it's
really good for is checking settings, or playing around, since you can't,
like I said, capture an image without a card.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 30th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 10:21 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
i just bought a new Rebel XTI and from the user manual i understand
that it is NOT necessary to use a CF card. i adjusted my settings
accordingly and tried to use my Rebel without the CF card and it told
me that i had to insert a CF card. i inserted a CF card from my old
digital camera, formated it and then i was able to take pictures.
since it was an older smaller CF card it only took 3 pictures. i
understand that i need a 2GB or higher CF card.

can anyone explain to me how to use the Rebel without a CF card and if
you can how are the pictures stored?

thanks!

Just in case you aren't a troll, and this is a real question...
The CF card is the sole means of storing images. There are no practical
alternatives. You can use any size CF card up to at least 4GB. Read the
manual again.

If you are simply trolling... Go away.
www.pbase.com/markuson

no i am not a troll. why would you think i am? i know what the purpose
of a CF card is. my first digital camera required one.

i asked about the CF card because in the manual it says you can
operate it without a CF card if you wish, however it does not explain
what other device you could use to store the images.

Old March 30th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
surf_doggie

On Mar 29, 11:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

what other device you could use to store the images.- Hide quoted text -

Im not familar with the rebel but in my experience some cameras have
very limited on board memory cards. I would not count on it as a means
to circumvent getting a good cf card. Usually the on board cards only
get you a few megs so your default settings for the camera probable
consumed more memory than the on board card could hold. If you put
your camera in the lowest resolution its capable of I be you could
take a picture or two.

Earl

Old March 30th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

wrote:
[...]

Sorry about the question. It's just that there are folks who deliberately
ask these sorts of questions from time to time just for the heck of it...

i know what the purpose
of a CF card is. my first digital camera required one.

i asked about the CF card because in the manual it says you can
operate it without a CF card if you wish, however it does not explain
what other device you could use to store the images.

Here's the deal with that: It gives you the option of telling the camera to
refuse to operate if there is no CF card...but this will NOT record images
in any way. They allow it to operate without a card so that you can test
the camera...clean the sensor...check the shutter mechanism, etc., but it
will not...and indeed CANNOT record any images without a CF card. No
serious DSLR that I'm aware of is designed to do so... The reason some
choose to set it to NOT operate at all without a CF is that some folks might
make the mistake of shooting away...not realizing that they have no card in
it, and are therefore wasting their time thinking they're saving their
shots...when they aren't. It's akin to film days...when you suddenly
realize you've been shooting without any film in the camera(!) which has
likely happened to everyone at least once, back "in the day..."

So... No. You have no option here but to use a CF card. 2GB cards can be
had for less than $20 with a rebate. Just last week I was at Fry's and they
had 2GB cards that cost a mere $7.99 after a $15 dollar rebate. Memory
cards are extraordinarily cheap these days. Amazing, really.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 30th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

MarkČ wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Hmm, you mean like R*ch, who would subsequently be glad to tell us how DSLRs
suck because they don't have any internal flash memory, and P&S rules because
most of them do (even if it's only enough for a half-dozen shots).
Old March 30th 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Matt Ion wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Rich...and assorted other idjuts...yes.
There's nothing wrong with being innocently "new" at this...but folks like
Rich get "old" in a hurry.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 30th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:41:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"

i just bought a new Rebel XTI and from the user manual i understand
that it is NOT necessary to use a CF card. i adjusted my settings
accordingly and tried to use my Rebel without the CF card and it told
me that i had to insert a CF card. i inserted a CF card from my old
digital camera, formated it and then i was able to take pictures.
since it was an older smaller CF card it only took 3 pictures. i
understand that i need a 2GB or higher CF card.

can anyone explain to me how to use the Rebel without a CF card and if
you can how are the pictures stored?

The only concievable way to use it without a memory card would be
tethered to a computer by a USB cable.

--

....and I think the software on the CD has the program for doing this.

Brian