EasyShare V6.01 Download & Installation Procedure

Old July 18th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AlanCB

Default EasyShare V6.01 Download & Installation Procedure

After explaining that I have EasyShare V4.02 installed on my laptop, I
asked Kodak Customer Service for the exact procedure for downloading
and installing the EasyShare V6.01 software.

Would appreciate if anyone could advise whether the procedure provided
by Kodak (which is given below) applies to a completely new
(first-time) installation of the EasyShare software (which would
presumambly require that EasyShare V4.02 be uninstalled first), or
whether it applies to an "update" installation of EasyShare V6.01 over
EasyShare V4.02 (i.e. without uninstalling V4.02 first).

Thank you

AlanCB
--------------

The procedure given by Kodak was :

We need you to do a clean install, please follow these steps :

1. Go to start then run and type in msconfig
2. Click on ok.
3. Put a dot in the Selective startup button.
4. Take the tick off of load startup items
5. Click on apply and ok.
6. Restart the computer.

Please make sure all firewalls and anti-virus software is disabled.

Then connect to the Internet and go to the Easyshare download page.

The page is www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

Click on the blue download button to start the download then choose
custom install.

Click on the small black arrow pointing downwards next to the Kodak
Software Updater icon and click on the red cross so that it is not
available.

Make sure that all other icons have install to local hard drive on
them, this includes the camera connection software.

Proceed with the download then restart your system.

Try the software now if everything is working fine then go back to
Start then run (msconfig will already be in here) click on ok and put
the dot back in normal startup.

Old July 18th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Part of the install includes Backweb. Backweb is spyware that is
blocked by some spyware programs. Backweb is suppose to monitor
you system so that it can update your drivers/software ect. Backweb
will suggest that they only monitor keyboard / mouse activity, so they
know when the computer is inactive???

Old July 18th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
salgud

AlanCB wrote:
After explaining that I have EasyShare V4.02 installed on my laptop, I
asked Kodak Customer Service for the exact procedure for downloading
and installing the EasyShare V6.01 software.

Would appreciate if anyone could advise whether the procedure provided
by Kodak (which is given below) applies to a completely new
(first-time) installation of the EasyShare software (which would
presumambly require that EasyShare V4.02 be uninstalled first), or
whether it applies to an "update" installation of EasyShare V6.01 over
EasyShare V4.02 (i.e. without uninstalling V4.02 first).

Thank you

AlanCB

Curious here. What does "EasyShare" do?

--------------

Old July 19th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AlanCB

The link below explains what EasyShare does :

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_GB

----------

Old July 19th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

salgud wrote:
I wouldn't store my photos with Kodak. They're currently involved in a
wrongful termination lawsuit with a former exec who blew the whistle on
them. They were planning to downgrade all the stored images of their
customers without notifying them of the change. She felt that was wrong
and when she couldn't talk them out of it, went public. They fired her.
Of course, Kodak denies it was over the whistle blowing or that they
even had such a plan.
If they're willing to downgrade your images without telling you to save
some money, what else are they willing to do?

salgud wrote:

Curious here. What does "EasyShare" do?

You can use EasyShare without storing images online.
Old July 19th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AlanCB

Salgud and , thank you for your replies.
I'm sure that you mean well, but I am not concerned about the online
storage and BackWeb issues that you have raised.
However I would really appreciate if you, or someone else, could
provide (with authority) the advice that I requested at start of this
thread.

Thank you
AlanCB

-------------

Old July 19th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Why would a company like Kodak tell you to start msconfig and to
unload startup items? I can tell you why. Their software install is
problematic. EasyShare is not only problematic from the install but
problematic as far as it being intuitive and complete. There are a
number of things you should be able to do with this software but you
have to jump through hoops to do it. This is poorly written software.
It is not necessary to use NotSoEasyShare. There are other programs
that are easier to use and more functional.
Old July 20th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AlanCB

Programs such as ?

I appreciate your advice, but have you actually used V6.01 (which is
supposed to be a significant improvement over previous versions) ?

And the answer to my request for advice, as to whether the procedure
given is for a 1st TIME INSTALL of EasyShare V6.01(which would
presumably require that I uninstall V4.02 first), OR that it is for an
UPDATE INSTALL of EasyShare V6.01 over EasyShare V4.02 (presumably not
requiring uninstallation of V4.02 first), is ? Anybody ?

--------------

Old July 20th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dona7654

I have a friend who works on software for Kodak EasyShare and he said
that you do not need to uninstall previous versions. The installation
program should automatically check your system for previous versions
and do whatever is necessary to get V6.01 installed.

By the way, my friend also wrote a screensaver program that uses the
EasyShare catalog. If you're interested, check out SnapScreen on his
website: www.solidfx.com. He has a new version there that's
compatible with EasyShare 6.01.