$230 12MP camera?

Old November 25th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Travis

Default $230 12MP camera?

I was looking in a London Drugs flyer and saw a 12 megapixel Kodak
Z1275 camera (easyshare) for $230. I thought it was a misprint and
checked Kodak, but it really is 12 MP.

I guess I'm slow on times, since weren't 12 MP camera $1200 + before?
What are the high end cameras costing now? Do they have 30MP cameras
that are the NEW 12 MP?

Plus, there was an Olympus Evolt-510 Digital SLR for $659 .... but it
was only 10 MP , what's with the huge price difference, I mean, it IS
an SLR ... thinking about it ... is it the 12 MP SLR's that are in the
$1200 price range?

Btw, what company is the best for Digital SLRs with the 8+ MP range, I
might need one for a trip soon. (Would it be worth it to buy a camera
in Japan, would cameras that are not released in North America be
cheaper there?)
Old November 25th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Travis wrote:
[]
Btw, what company is the best for Digital SLRs with the 8+ MP range, I
might need one for a trip soon.

Visit your local shop and hold the Canon and Nikon models in your hands.
See which suits you better. Perhaps also try the Pentax and Sony. What
camera feels best to you? I would suggest not getting a 4/3 camera
(Olympus, Panasonic?), as these are almost as big and heavy as a
conventional DSLR, but have a smaller sensor which means more noise or a
lower ISO. My choice was the 6MP Nikon D40 - a very cost-effective camera
which meets my modest needs. Good images even at ISO 1600. Excellent,
low-cost lenses as well.

Cheers,
David

Old November 25th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Nov 25, 3:04 am, "David J Taylor" -this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
Travis wrote:

[]

Btw, what company is the best for Digital SLRs with the 8+ MP range, I
might need one for a trip soon.

Visit your local shop and hold the Canon and Nikon models in your hands.
See which suits you better. Perhaps also try the Pentax and Sony. What
camera feels best to you? I would suggest not getting a 4/3 camera
(Olympus, Panasonic?), as these are almost as big and heavy as a
conventional DSLR, but have a smaller sensor which means more noise or a
lower ISO. My choice was the 6MP Nikon D40 - a very cost-effective camera
which meets my modest needs. Good images even at ISO 1600. Excellent,
low-cost lenses as well.

Cheers,
David

"B-b-but it only has SIX megapixels!!!"

"I NEED all TWELVE megapixels, and they HAVE to come from a 1/2.5"
sensor!!!"""
Old November 25th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scubabix

"Travis" wrote in message
I was looking in a London Drugs flyer and saw a 12 megapixel Kodak
Z1275 camera (easyshare) for $230. I thought it was a misprint and
checked Kodak, but it really is 12 MP.

I guess I'm slow on times, since weren't 12 MP camera $1200 + before?
What are the high end cameras costing now? Do they have 30MP cameras
that are the NEW 12 MP?

Plus, there was an Olympus Evolt-510 Digital SLR for $659 .... but it
was only 10 MP , what's with the huge price difference, I mean, it IS
an SLR ... thinking about it ... is it the 12 MP SLR's that are in the
$1200 price range?

The smaller, cheaper camera can image 12Mp, but, it's usually through a
cheaper, lower quality lens and a MUCH slower processor. If you don't mind
cycle times measured in seconds instead of fractions of a second, they're
ok.

Btw, what company is the best for Digital SLRs with the 8+ MP range, I
might need one for a trip soon. (Would it be worth it to buy a camera
in Japan, would cameras that are not released in North America be
cheaper there?)

You must be trying to start a brand war with that question, just kidding.
Read David's post about how to choose the SLR that's right for you. As far
as cameras purchase outside the US, service and warranty questions pop up.
If it's a model not sold in the US, you would very possibly be required to
send it to a location that it was sold for service.
One last thing, don't get caught up in MegaPixel envy. Unless you are
intending to print large posters of your images, 8Mp is more than enough.
You can find last years 8-10Mp cameras quite reasonably priced compared to
the new 12Mp models.
Rob

Old November 25th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:23:54 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

"B-b-but it only has SIX megapixels!!!"

"I NEED all TWELVE megapixels

Are you really sure that you need them? This was about megapixels
after all, not meganeurons, which would be another matter entirely.

Old November 25th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Scubabix wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
[...]

And if it's a non-slr camera (which at $230 it would have to
be), the tiny sensors don't really resolve at the full 12MP
anyway. Very likely that there'll be no discernable
difference between a similar 6MP and the 12MP models. On
compact cameras, Megapixels is now just a marketing wank,
and no real indication of image quality.
Rob

Old November 26th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Doug Jewell wrote:

And if it's a non-slr camera (which at $230 it would have to be), the
tiny sensors don't really resolve at the full 12MP anyway. Very likely
that there'll be no discernable difference between a similar 6MP and the
12MP models. On compact cameras, Megapixels is now just a marketing
wank, and no real indication of image quality.
Rob

The camera model referenced has a sensel size of 1.9
microns. The airy disk diameter at widest aperture (f2.8 at
minimum focal length) is double that at 3.8 microns.
It only goes downhill as focal length is increased or
aperture size is reduced.

That's even before noise and the effect of noise reduction
on resolution is considered.
Old November 26th 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

frederick wrote:
Doug Jewell wrote:

And if it's a non-slr camera (which at $230 it would have to be), the
tiny sensors don't really resolve at the full 12MP anyway. Very
likely that there'll be no discernable difference between a similar
6MP and the 12MP models. On compact cameras, Megapixels is now just
a marketing wank, and no real indication of image quality.
Rob

The camera model referenced has a sensel size of 1.9
microns. The airy disk diameter at widest aperture (f2.8 at
minimum focal length) is double that at 3.8 microns.
It only goes downhill as focal length is increased or
aperture size is reduced.

That's even before noise and the effect of noise reduction
on resolution is considered.

Which does mean that the need for an anti-alias filter is reduced....

Cheers,
David

Old November 28th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams[_2_]

David J Taylor wrote:
I would suggest not getting a 4/3 camera
(Olympus, Panasonic?), as these are almost as big and heavy as a
conventional DSLR, but have a smaller sensor which means more noise or a
lower ISO.

Then why do the Olympus E510 examples look better than the Nikon D40X in
side by side comparison?

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...6&p2=2175&ph=2

Old November 28th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Travis wrote:
I was looking in a London Drugs flyer and saw a 12 megapixel Kodak
Z1275 camera (easyshare) for $230. I thought it was a misprint and
checked Kodak, but it really is 12 MP.

I guess I'm slow on times, since weren't 12 MP camera $1200 + before?
What are the high end cameras costing now? Do they have 30MP cameras
that are the NEW 12 MP?

Plus, there was an Olympus Evolt-510 Digital SLR for $659 .... but it
was only 10 MP , what's with the huge price difference, I mean, it IS
an SLR ... thinking about it ... is it the 12 MP SLR's that are in the
$1200 price range?

Btw, what company is the best for Digital SLRs with the 8+ MP range, I
might need one for a trip soon. (Would it be worth it to buy a camera
in Japan, would cameras that are not released in North America be
cheaper there?)

Look at the Nikon D40x, the Canon 40D, and the Canon EOS400D (xTI).
Probably no cheaper in Japan.

Stay away from the Olympus digital SLRs because they use a smaller
sensor and are noisier.