SLR and SLR like cameras

Old August 31st 05, 11:53 PM
no one

Beach Bum wrote:

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

AFAIK it does.

Actually it refers to the folded light path leading to the viewfinder.
In the SLR that's usually done with the moving mirror.
Old September 1st 05, 01:00 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

no one writes:

wrote:

Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
image capturing mechanism are same.
Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
qualified
as an SLR why ??

I think they're making a distinction between a camera with
interchangeable lenses (SLR) and a camera with a fixed
non-interchangeable lens (SLR like).

Yes. It's a non-obvious, non-logical, non-official quirk of the
terminology, but that's the way people got used to using the terms
from the 1950s until the 1990s, or some such.

And, for many purposes of discussion, Leica rangefinders were grouped
with the "SLRs" during those periods -- because they were 35mm cameras
used by serious photographers. Nobody would have said that an M3
*was* an SLR, but their users shared many of the same interests
anyway. For a lot of purposes, the interchangeable lenses were *more*
important than the viewing through the taking lens.