New Nikon 500mm f/5.6 Is this an error?

Old July 21st 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default New Nikon 500mm f/5.6 Is this an error?

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

But remember I use 40+ year old lens, which probably have more
metal mass than modern lenses.

that extra metal offers zero optical benefit.

No one ever said it did. What I did say - as a joke - which you so
conveniently snipped was "Thus they (referring to the older, heavier
lens) might withstand the heat of brazing better. The tree, on the other
hand... "

This was in response to SD pointing out my typo: "brazing" instead of
"bracing" the lens against a tree to steady it. The "c" and "z" keys are
one key apart, and both words are valid British words, so the Ubuntu
spell checker wouldn't flag my error. As it would if I were to type
"color" instead of "colour".

It has been my general experience that the larger a mass of metal, the
more heat it can absorb and dissipate (There are exceptions.). Therefore
a larger lens, with more metal mass would be more likely to withstand
the heat of brazing the lens to a tree, than would a smaller, lighter,
more modern lens with more plastic parts. There was no comparison of the
optical properties between an older lens and a modern lens. I also
alluded to the difficulties of attempting to braze a lens to a tree.
I've never tried it, but I suspect there would be some difficulty in
that project. Wood, either living or cut and dried, generally does not
braze well.

Were you born without a sense of humor, or did you have it surgically
removed later?

*whoooooooosh*