The new 100-400mm seems to work.

Old July 8th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The new 100-400mm seems to work.

Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 8th 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Oh, yes, indeed!
Old July 8th 18, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 9th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 00:17:15 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

I'd say that lens was a good investment.
Old July 9th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 8, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg
Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

I'd say that lens was a good investment.

So far I am happy with it. I will probably buy the 1.4TC though the reach I
get now is just fine.
Next I will have to track down an airshow. ;-)

For now here is another of the windsurfer shots:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cs5phDS/0/ce74ad5f/O/i-cs5phDS.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 9th 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

I don't want to seem difficult - but I guess I am.

There was a time when, if I had submitted those images, as interesting
as they were to me, you would have said harsh words to me about the
fuzziness of the image. It wouldn't have been a personal attack but a
strong criticism. I am particularly thinking of those first
photographs of the Mosquito about which your comments were perfectly
justified.

What I would really like to know is a little more about the
processing, particularly about the extent to which the images were
cropped and what else if anything was done in their processing. I
suspect from their general lack of sharpness and their apparent noise
or graininess that they have been heavily cropped.

I noted from the EXIF that you were using f/8 at 1/500 with a 200 ASA.
Have you tried shots at a higher speed with a lesser f number?

Eric Stevens
Old July 9th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Eric Stevens
says...

wrote:

[...]

I was about to ask the same thing, because indeed not all images are
tack sharp.

I also shot windsurfers with the OLympus 75-300 at 300mm (same field of
view as 400mm on APS-C). This is the budget tele lens of Olympus
(inexpensive and relatively lightweight). Of the images I got many were
blurred (perhaps motion blur), a few were quite sharp.

In both cases (Fuji and Olympus) the lack of sharpness could be due to
motion blur and/or imprecise AF (camera not being able to focus
precisely fast enough) - just guessing.

--
Alfred Molon

Old July 9th 18, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 8, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:10 cropped to
5771x3607; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/1400 @ f/5.0

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:9 cropped to
5726x3221; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/1500 @ f/5.4

Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:9 cropped to
5243x2949; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/500 @ f/8.0

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

Processed in LR CCC: 6000x4000, no crop. Local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/500 @ f/8.0

I don't want to seem difficult - but I guess I am.

There was a time when, if I had submitted those images, as interesting as they were to me, you would have said harsh words to me about the fuzziness of the

image. It wouldn't have been a personal attack but a strong criticism. I am
particularly thinking of those first photographs of the Mosquito about which
your comments were perfectly justified.

What I would really like to know is a little more about the processing, particularly about the extent to which the images were
cropped and what else if anything was done in their processing. I suspect from their general lack of sharpness and their apparent noise or graininess that

they have been heavily cropped.

There is no heavy cropping. Some stuff might have been subject to Smugmug
resizing for sharing. All processing was done in LR CCC, sharpening was
localized to the subject. I did not need razor sharp wind blown wavetops. I
have added notes below each URL. However, I guess you are seeing whatever it
is you are seeing, no offense taken.

I noted from the EXIF that you were using f/8 at 1/500 with a 200 ASA.
Have you tried shots at a higher speed with a lesser f number?

Not all of them. I had Auto ISO set with base at ISO 200, MAX ISO @ 1600, min
speed set to Auto. See notes above.

Pick one, I would be more than happy to send you the RAW RAF to play with.

Savageduck

Old July 9th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 8, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In , Eric Stevens
says...

wrote:

[...]

The only thing I can think of was the very strong wind factor, and the
possibility that the OIS was just not able to keep up.

Savageduck

Old July 9th 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 8, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:10 cropped to 5771x3607; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/1400 @ f/5.0

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:9 cropped to 5726x3221; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/1500 @ f/5.4

Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

Processed in LR CCC; original 6000x4000 aspect ratio to 16:9 cropped to 5243x2949; local sharpening limited to subject.

ISO200; 1/500 @ f/8.0

[...]

BTW: This one I processed with Alien Skin Exposure X3. ISO 200, 1/1100 @
f/5.6: Sharpening was still localized to the subject, and is sharp enough
that the reinforcing pattern in the Kevlar sail is quite clear. Aspect ratio
changed to 16:9 from original 6000x4000 to 5532x3112.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cs5phDS/0/ce74ad5f/O/i-cs5phDS.jpg

Savageduck

PSE6: Work-around when Help doesn't work under Windows John Navas[_2_] Digital Photography 3 January 14th 08 11:04 PM
400mm IS Eric Miller Digital Photography 7 January 26th 06 01:14 AM
400mm IS Eric Miller 35mm Photo Equipment 7 January 26th 06 01:14 AM
400mm for 10D b4 Digital Photography 8 October 12th 04 01:01 AM
400mm AF-S $6,200.00 Pixuretakr 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 December 2nd 03 09:43 PM