Caveat Emptor!

Old July 22nd 05, 11:31 PM
Douglas Tourtelot

Let's see. . . . Can't even get him to return a simple email. Maybe I
should suggest we meet for coffee? I'll pay for the drinks.

D.

"Paul" wrote in message
k.net...
Well, let's see -- maybe because they could both live in Washington state
and yet live hundreds of miles apart? Just a guess....

Paul, former Washington state resident

"BigEd" wrote in message
: Douglas Tourtelot wrote:
: Beware when buying from a man named Luke McGee in Washington state.
His
: email is . I bought a less from him that
arrived
: defective (oily blades) and not as described. He has refused to
communicate
: or offer any solution other than "not my fault" in one email over the
last
: month. I am now stuck with taking a complete loss on the lens or
having
: Nikon fix it at a cost that will bring the total above that of the
same
lens
: new at B&H. Live and learn.
:
: I must ad that my experience with on-line sellers has been mostly
excellent
: and sometimes there will be a "bum" in any crowd.
:
: Regards,
:
: Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
: Seattle, WA
:

:
:
: This does not make much sense. You both live in Washington State. Why
: don't you just meet with him face to face and hash this out?
:
: Ed

Old July 23rd 05, 06:20 AM
Jerry L

Before you sent him your money, did he agree to the "return" of the
lens if you found it to be in need of repair?

Did you keep a copy of your e-mails?

If yes on both counts, contact the local police department and file a
written complaint.
= = =

Old July 30th 05, 03:28 PM
Randy Stewart

"Jerry L" wrote in message
ups.com...
Before you sent him your money, did he agree to the "return" of the
lens if you found it to be in need of repair?

Did you keep a copy of your e-mails?

If yes on both counts, contact the local police department and file a
written complaint.

As a Washington State resident and attorney, I'd like to know if anyone has
ever gotten a positive outcome from "filing a written complaint" with the
local police where an offending seller lives. Given that the matter is a
private sale consumer complaint, I'd expect no reply or one to "look into
it" followed by use of the complaint to line the bottom of the bird cage.
Police generally think they have more important things to do with their
time, and they are usually correct. The common official usage is "that's a
civil matter, sir".

Old July 31st 05, 06:50 AM
Jerry L

You may try a look at

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/inetschemes.htm

and see how low-level the interest is for Internet fraud.

[I'm not a lawyer.]
= = =

Old August 1st 05, 06:40 AM
Randy Stewart

"Jerry L" wrote in message
ups.com...
You may try a look at
http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/inetschemes.htm
and see how low-level the interest is for Internet fraud.

All good advise on avoiding the dishonest seller, although if most of the
tips were employed, ebay would probably fold.

However, my original inquiry was not how to avoid a ripoff, but for the
story of anyone who had successfully obtained local police assistence in the
seller's community to obtain relief from a fraudulent seller on ebay or a
similar internet sale. There seems to be a general assumption that such
enforcement is available and my suggestion was that in practice, it is not.

Who has an experience to report, either way?

Old August 1st 05, 04:37 PM

"Randy Stewart" wrote in message
As a Washington State resident and attorney, I'd like to know if anyone

has
ever gotten a positive outcome from "filing a written complaint" with the
local police where an offending seller lives. Given that the matter is a
private sale consumer complaint, I'd expect no reply or one to "look into
it" followed by use of the complaint to line the bottom of the bird cage.
Police generally think they have more important things to do with their
time, and they are usually correct. The common official usage is "that's a
civil matter, sir".

I wish I could remember the city & state (I think it was St Louis) but a
camera business bought a Leica from me for a rather large some of money at a
camera show in my state of Nebraska. Evidently they purchased too much that
day and they stopped payment on the check without notifying me. I called
the local (for the seller) police department and told them I wanted the
person arrested on felony charges for passing a bad check with no intent to
pay. The police did not arrest the gentleman (HA!) but he mailed me a
certified check the same day. The police also called up to verify that I
received the money.

So no I don't think filing a written compliant is the answer. Find out the
local laws and ask the luck authorities to arrest the individual. If you
have a valid address and ID more likely than not they will do it.