D70 and the Nikon SB-50DX Speedlight

Old July 12th 04, 06:17 AM
Christopher Muto

Default D70 and the Nikon SB-50DX Speedlight

page 188 of the d70 manual...

the sb-50dx can be used in the hot shoe of the d70 with the flash set to 'm'
(manual) mode. if the flash is set to 'ttl' ot 'a' (auto) then the d70 will
not allow you to take a picture. 'a' (auto) is supported on the d70 for
most speedlights, but not your sb-50dx. on the plus side, the d70 will
utilize the autofocus assist led from your sb-50dx and disable the nasty on
camera head light automatically.

because nikon created a new type of metering called i-ttl for the
d70/sb-600/db-800 combination, they decided to eliminate support for regular
ttl so that you have to go out an buy a new flash... there is no other
plausible explanation for this lack of ttl support on the d70 with their
older flashes. they are forcing their customers to 'upgrade' like computer
companies do... building in obsolescence.

"Mike Mc" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem and I'm not sure if it's an incompatibility issue or an
'I'm an idiot' issue!

I have a D70 with Nikon lenses and have got my hands on a Nikon SB-50DX
Speedlight. It works generally but quite alot of the menu items and
functions do not appear to be available. I've read through both the camera
and speedlight manuals but they are vague on compatibility although the
speedlight manual does allude to non-compatibility (not specifically the
D70) if a particular menu item is not available. The Nikon website states
the SB600 and 800 as being accessories for the D70 and the SB-50DX for D1
and D100?

Can anyone clear this one up for me, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Mike

Old July 12th 04, 07:48 AM
Scott Peterson

"Mike Mc" wrote:

I have a D70 with Nikon lenses and have got my hands on a Nikon SB-50DX
Speedlight. It works generally but quite alot of the menu items and
functions do not appear to be available.

That flash was intended to work with the D1/D100 cameras and does
D-TTL. The D70 uses I-TTL which is different. When you use the SB-50
on the D70 you can only use TTL modes. The only two Nikon flashes
that fully support the D70 are the SB-600 and 800.

Scott Peterson

--
Deja Moo: That strange feeling
you've heard this bull before.

177/586

Old July 14th 04, 01:01 AM
Christopher Muto

regarding your sentence "When you use the SB-50 on the D70 you can only use
TTL modes. "
i assume that you meant to have the word 'non' next to ttl in that sentence.
though most nikon ttl and d-ttl flashes will work in 'a' (auto) mode with
the d70, the sb-50dx will not. the sb-50dx will only work in 'm' (manual)
mode as per the manual. do you know otherwise?