Best camera for web page design,email, and ebay auctions

Old October 5th 04, 10:02 PM
John

Default Best camera for web page design,email, and ebay auctions

I've always insisted that the Sony Mavica floppy disk cameras are the best
cameras for those that do web page design (like myself), ebay auctions, and
other onscreen only uses.

The Mavica has the advantage of outputting images that do not need to be
reduced with Photoshop or other third party software, which decreases time, and
increases productivity. I've uses Mavicas and am quite impressed. They have
their faults as do all cameras.

I'd like to hear what others say on this subject. Please if you are a graphic
designer for a magazine or another print outlet, please do not use your
standards to bash the Mavica, because its pitiful for your usage. Yes I am
aware that floppy disk cameras are horrible for those working in the print
industry. But must I remind you that a camera that outputs a 4 megabyte image
is useless for those that do webpage design. If I had to upload 100 of these
images to a website or ebay auctions, I'd spend countless time in photoshop.

Thanks...

John
-------
America is back from the attack on our homeland, back from the attack on our
economy, and back from the attack on our way of life. We are back because of
the perseverance, character and leadership of George W. Bush! (Arnold
Schwarzenegger, 2004).
Old October 5th 04, 11:59 PM
Robert

It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to download
a floppy to my computer.

Old October 6th 04, 12:32 AM
Gene Palmiter

"Robert" wrote in message
newsHF8d.311804$mD.78781@attbi_s02...
It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to

download
a floppy to my computer.

-------
America is back from the attack on our homeland, back from the attack on

our
economy, and back from the attack on our way of life. We are back

because
of
the perseverance, character and leadership of George W. Bush! (Arnold
Schwarzenegger, 2004).

Don't look him in the eye and don't engage. He likes Sony Mavicas, Arnold
Schwarzengger, and GW....Reagan should not have turned this man out of the
asylum.

Old October 6th 04, 12:32 AM
John

It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to download
a floppy to my computer.

It takes more than 30 seconds. This all depends on the type of computer,
processor speed, bus speed, RAM, hard disk speed, etc...

It does not take long to download with my floppy disk drive. perhaps you have
a cheap one. I recently bought a 4X USB external. Man does it fly!

John
-------
Old October 6th 04, 03:31 AM
Fred B.

4mb files are not useless.

Photoshop and many other programs can compress the image to a good image
that is less than 100kb.

I take the other side, and think floppies are useless, being so small.

Digital cameras can also reduce file size by adjusting image size and
compression.

Old October 6th 04, 04:34 AM
Robert

"John" wrote in message
It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to
download
a floppy to my computer.

It takes more than 30 seconds. This all depends on the type of computer,
processor speed, bus speed, RAM, hard disk speed, etc...

It actually takes much less that 30 seconds to resample the image on pretty
much any of the newer computers, unless you are using one of the older,
2-floppy systems ;-) But, you don't even have to. Most newer, better,
smaller, lighter, faster cameras will let you capture in the poorer Mavica
resolution, and then all you need to do is transfer them from you CF or xD
card, that plugs directly into most new computers, at much faster rates that
the floppy.

Old October 6th 04, 09:36 AM
John

4mb files are not useless.

Photoshop and many other programs can compress the image to a good image
that is less than 100kb.

I take the other side, and think floppies are useless, being so small.

Digital cameras can also reduce file size by adjusting image size and
compression.

For serious design work yes floppies are useless. However for small web and
email graphics, I dont think so.
-------
Old October 6th 04, 09:40 AM
John

It actually takes much less that 30 seconds to resample the image on pretty
much any of the newer computers, unless you are using one of the older,
2-floppy systems ;-) But, you don't even have to. Most newer, better,
smaller, lighter, faster cameras will let you capture in the poorer Mavica
resolution, and then all you need to do is transfer them from you CF or xD
card, that plugs directly into most new computers, at much faster rates that
the floppy.

No doubt.

But I believe the original question was. Reccomend a camera that works best
for web page design work? Many people use the Mavica so obviusly it works for
the thousands that use it.

Many people use the floppy disks in the Mavica. Surely they must see their
advantage? Yes I know they are more than worthless for serious design work.
But for web page images I think they are the best. The Mavica takes great
shots (perhaps you have used an older model).

I have yet to use a fancy Olympus camera with a email/web mode.

John
-------
Old October 6th 04, 11:22 AM
David Hearn

John wrote:
[...]

I have a basic (ie. cheap, was 150 GBP, and now can be obtained for less
than 99 GBP) 2MP camera which outputs image files (at full, 'fine' quality)
at around 600k. I can reduce the size and quality if I want which would
make the images much more reasonable (at least half the size, and 1/3 comes
to mind - though can't be sure). Uploading of the files are quite quick via
USB, and if I used an external USB2 card reader then it just zips through.
Having it on a memory card allows lots of images to be stored (more than the
1.4MB of a floppy, although I'm unaware of the actual file sizes from a
Mavica)

There are many (some free) tools out there which can resize/recompress
images in large batches without having to load the app first. For example,
you can select a folder and right click and do "Send to resizing app". In
fact, XP includes a Resize Images option already in the 'Right Click' menu -
although I think the smallest size is 640x480. The resizing of a lot of
files may take only a few seconds - especially if they were captured in the
lowest resolution. You can even delete the original files if you wish to
only keep the low-res/quality ones. As it is a batch process it is very
easy to do anything between 1 and thousands of files at the same time. Yes,
the time it takes for the app to do the processing will vary - but I would
imagine that even if it took a minute or two (unlikely in my experience of
resizing batches of 100x 600k files on a 1GHz Athlon).

One major reason I'd try to avoid floppy cameras is simply because of the
reliability of floppies. I've often found them to just stop working at
random points (working one day, not working another).

I haven't recomended a camera - rather tried to show that if you go for a
low MP count camera (cheap and makes images smaller), there are processes
out there which shouldn't change your workflow significantly or add much
inconvenience (one extra step resizing a whole folder taking up to a minute
or two).

Hopefully that'll be acceptable to you.

Thanks

David

Old October 7th 04, 04:27 AM
Robert

"John" wrote in message
It actually takes much less that 30 seconds to resample the image on
pretty
much any of the newer computers, unless you are using one of the older,
2-floppy systems ;-) But, you don't even have to. Most newer, better,
smaller, lighter, faster cameras will let you capture in the poorer Mavica
resolution, and then all you need to do is transfer them from you CF or xD
card, that plugs directly into most new computers, at much faster rates
that
the floppy.

No doubt.

But I believe the original question was. Reccomend a camera that works
best
for web page design work? Many people use the Mavica so obviusly it works
for
the thousands that use it.

And I'm sure thousands? Tens of thousands? don't, so?

Many people use the floppy disks in the Mavica. Surely they must see
their
advantage? Yes I know they are more than worthless for serious design
work.
But for web page images I think they are the best. The Mavica takes great
shots (perhaps you have used an older model).

Your opinion, you are definitely entitled to it. As long as you remember
that's all it is :-) Look, if the Mavica works for you, great. Keep using
it. Why do you *need* validation from others, if you are so certain that's
the best tool? And, even the floppy Mavica FD200 supports 1600x1200 images.
I guess I don't understand. What resolution is it that you are using with
your camera, that's so unique?

~R~

Batteries for Kodak DX3600 Camera Dock Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 10 July 24th 04 05:49 PM
OLYMPUS AMERICA eBay Auctions "RED FLAG" Price RUN-UP!!! KURVA GROSPLUT Digital Photography 8 June 30th 04 07:56 AM
ebay scam Boo In The Darkroom 24 March 14th 04 07:44 PM
Digital Camera for sale at eBay! Bernie Other Photographic Equipment 0 February 17th 04 03:56 PM