printing without tab

Old September 5th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default printing without tab

Hello All,
I'm trying out printing digital pictures for the first time and things
are going reasonably well, except I'm not entirely sure what the tab
is. My printer properties allow me to select paper of various sizes
including borderless 4x6 with tab, so I assume the tab is a strip of
extra white space at the edge.
The paper I'm using is exactly 4x6 though, so I don't want any extra
white space on any edges. I have a Canon psc 1315. Thanks.
Also, can anyone recommend any free photo editing software that makes
cropping photos to a 4 x 6 aspect ratio user-friendly? I have HP Image
Zone and IrfanView, neither of which is very user-friendly when it
comes to this.
Chris

Old September 7th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Thanks. The problem I'm having is that I have 4x6 paper without tabs.
My printer gives me a choice of many paper sizes, including borderless
4x6 photo with tab, but not borderless 4x6 photo. Is that just a
printer limitation?
Chris

Morton Linder wrote:
wrote:
Hello All,
I'm trying out printing digital pictures for the first time and things
are going reasonably well, except I'm not entirely sure what the tab
is. My printer properties allow me to select paper of various sizes
including borderless 4x6 with tab, so I assume the tab is a strip of
extra white space at the edge.
The paper I'm using is exactly 4x6 though, so I don't want any extra
white space on any edges. I have a Canon psc 1315. Thanks.
Also, can anyone recommend any free photo editing software that makes
cropping photos to a 4 x 6 aspect ratio user-friendly? I have HP Image
Zone and IrfanView, neither of which is very user-friendly when it
comes to this.
Chris

Hi,

Standard 4 x 6" inkjet photo paper comes in two formats, namely
borderless and with tab. The tab is a strip of paper about 1/2" by 4" at
one end of the sheet of paper. It can be useful, e.g. for making notes
about cropping or fill light or whatever, or a nuisance as it must be
bent at the perforations and then torn off. They sell the paper in both
formats, at the same price. Decisions,decisions.
Morton

Old September 7th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com

If your printer does not have a separate setting it may require that you use
4x6 print paper with a tab and you will just have to remove them after you
print the picture. Or the printer may may not care.

Take a look at Picasa from Google. www.picasa.com

It work in both Windows and Linux. I use it for printing jpgs. It is fairly
easy to crop your picture with this software and print the pictures. It also
supports batch upload to a variety of services.

Hope this helps.

William