Interim camera: 30D or 400D

Old September 6th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

Default Interim camera: 30D or 400D

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

Hello--

Bite the bullet and buy the 5D. Now. Today.

The day you get the 5D, you will be desperately ****ed at yourself for not
having bought it earlier.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

The guy's got a point.....

If you have the money now go for it.

Don't forget any pics you take in the interim will not benefit from the full
frame....

and wouldn't it be a tradgedy if your best pic was missed due to waiting for
the cameras to develop further.

Old September 6th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
My Bokeh

John Ortt wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

Hello--

Bite the bullet and buy the 5D. Now. Today.

The day you get the 5D, you will be desperately ****ed at yourself for not
having bought it earlier.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

The guy's got a point.....

If you have the money now go for it.

Don't forget any pics you take in the interim will not benefit from the full
frame....

and wouldn't it be a tradgedy if your best pic was missed due to waiting for
the cameras to develop further.

*Sigh.* I was afraid someone would say that (let alone two of you),
giving credibility to that nagging little voice in the depths of my
desire. I see the logic. I really do.

I was willing to wait to see what new technology came out for a few
reasons. First, simple curiosity and--yes I'll admit it--camera lust.
But also, I hoped that once a "new 5D" came out or was announced, the
current model would drop in price.

I also have to accept that if we keep waiting "just to see what's going
to happen," we eventually find out that all we've done is wait and
wait.

I think about my needs and wants. Do I NEED a 5D? A year ago, I
wouldn't have thought so. But as my photograhy skills grow and
develope, I am begining to see a need. I am at a point where I feel I
can begin to make money from my skill. As much of a justification as it
may sound, I don't think the 350D is "enough camera" for me any longer.
Not that it isn't a fine tool--It's taken me farther than I ever
thought possible and my neice (or anyone else interested in exploring
photography) will benefit greatly from it. But I also know I have more
to explore. That is why I was thinking in terms of the 30D...as a
"stepping stone" to the 5D. Financially, however, the logic makes sense
that I might as well spend the money now, or else I'll spend $800 -
$1200 for a new camera now AND $3000 for a new one in a few years. And
having purchased the 30D or 400D now, I may be less inclined to be able
to justify the 5D so soon.

And besides, I NEED a 5D to really exploit my beloved lenses, don't I?

Geeze, I can't believe a simple usenet post just caused me to think
about spending more than twice as much as I was going to spend
yesterday!

Old September 6th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

My Bokeh wrote:
John Ortt wrote:
[...]

Yup, that all makes sense.

Now google up a 1DS MkII and agonize even more ...

--
Frank ess

Old September 6th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
My Bokeh

Frank ess wrote:
My Bokeh wrote:
John Ortt wrote:
[...]

Frank, you'll be the death of me!

Old September 6th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"My Bokeh" wrote:

I was willing to wait to see what new technology came out for a few
reasons. First, simple curiosity and--yes I'll admit it--camera lust.
But also, I hoped that once a "new 5D" came out or was announced, the
current model would drop in price.

There is going to be downward creep in the price, the problem is how much?

I'd be really surprised if that downward creep were anywhere near US$800 in
the next year. That is, I think you can get the 5D in the US$2600 to US$2800
range if you look hard enough, and I really doubt that FF digital will be
under US$2000 by the end of 2007.

I also have to accept that if we keep waiting "just to see what's going
to happen," we eventually find out that all we've done is wait and
wait.

Exactly. The other thing you want to ask is "what could the 5D+ have that
would make me kick myself for not waiting?" At least here, there's not much.
The 5D is _fast_ in terms of normal operation (single shot mode), there just
aren't any delays. And it's got a spot meter, RGB histograms, and
interchangeable focusing screens.

Do you need 5fps, weathersealing, a few extra MP? Print out a couple of the
samples in the 5D gallery at Dpreview at 13x19 and ask how much better than
that do you need. I have an A4 crop from what would have been a 13x19 taken
at ISO 3200. I have to take off my glasses and put my nose on the print to
see that there's something less than perfect.

FWIW, my thought on upgrading is that the next model is never worth
upgrading to, so even though the 5D is almost a year old, assuming the
typical 18-month upgrade cycle, a 5D today is a camera you can get two full
years of use out of before upgrading makes any sense whatsoever.

And besides, I NEED a 5D to really exploit my beloved lenses, don't I?

Exactly!

Geeze, I can't believe a simple usenet post just caused me to think
about spending more than twice as much as I was going to spend
yesterday!

Canon owes me a commissiong.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Frank ess" wrote:

Yup, that all makes sense.

Now google up a 1DS MkII and agonize even more ...

There wasn't any agony he for the same price, I'd take the 5D over the
1Dsmk2. The 1Dsmk2 is way too heavy. (I was irritated at first that Canon
shortchanged us on the pixel count, but it turns out that to actually see a
difference in a print, you need something like a 20 or 25% increase in
linear resolution. The extra 12% you get going from 12.7 to 16MP just isn't
enough to see.)

Which is why I'm betting* that the next version of the 5D will be 16MP: with
the low and midrange at 10MP, 12MP isn't looking like that much of an
upgrade, whereas I'm pretty sure you'd see the difference between 10MP and
16MP at 13x19.

*: Not that I ever win bets, of course.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan