Apple Introduces Aperture

Old October 19th 05, 08:39 PM
Ken Prager

Default Apple Introduces Aperture

Pretty sweet feature set...

Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides
everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
post-production tool for photographers.

Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, Aperture makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting
you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your
images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. From capture to
output, you work directly with your RAW files, never having to first convert
them into another format before viewing, adjusting, organizing, or printing
them.

And with the most powerful image processing in the world, Aperture is fast
whether youre working with RAW, JPEG, or TIFF images. It supports the RAW
formats from all leading digital camera manufacturers (including Canon and
Nikon) and provides optimized support for such market leading cameras as the
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, and Nikon D2x as well as the highly
popular Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D50. It also supports the Adobe DNG
format.

Whether youre a fashion, wedding, sports, portrait, fine art, commercial, or
editorial photographer, Apertures color-managed workflow and flexible design
tools will help you easily create stunning prints, customized contact sheets,
elegant books, and web pages as beautiful as the images you capture.

Especially this...

Image Processing
o Non-destructive image processing
o Master image becomes locked digital negative
o Create alternate versions without using extra disk space
o Photographers Essential non-destructive editing tools
- Exposure
- Histogram
- Crop
- Highlights & Shadows
- Sharpen
- RGB Channel Mixer
- Levels
- White Balance
- Straighten
- Red Eye Correction
- Noise Reduction
o Modify and suspend adjustments at any time
o Dust, spot, blemish, red-eye, and patch tools
o Lift and Stamp tool to copy and paste adjustments
o Use Stacks to manage alternate versions
o Seamless Photoshop integration
- One-click export directly into Photoshop as .PSD or TIFF
- Native support for flattened or single-layer .PSD files
- Manage Photoshop-generated image versions

More info here...

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Cheers,

KP
Old October 19th 05, 08:49 PM
All Things Mopar

Today Ken Prager spoke these views with conviction for
everyone's edification:

Pretty sweet feature set...

Designed from the ground up for professional
photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for
after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
post-production tool for photographers.

It damn well ought to be for $500! Not needing nor able to
afford PS CS2, I can only guess on how much Apple knows about
the market they're attempting to penetrate, although Mac
capability is allegedly legendary.

More info here...

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Old October 19th 05, 09:33 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
Pretty sweet feature set...

Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture
provides
everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
post-production tool for photographers.

I see they have priced it between Elements and CS. The interface is
downright sexy. Cool. The feature set is limited, which might be a good
thing considering how daunting an advanced image editor can be. It will
sell for sure. Maybe it will kick Adobe into reconsidering their interface.

Can it really handle Nikon RAW? I wonder about that.

Competition is good.
But I'm a total CS nutcase nonetheless.

Old October 19th 05, 09:50 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:33:01 -0500, Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Ken Prager" wrote in message
Pretty sweet feature set...

Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture
provides
everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one
post-production tool for photographers.

I see they have priced it between Elements and CS.

I was flipping through Apple's website looking at pricing on the new
Powerbooks, and I noticed that the educationally-discounted price on
Aperture is $250. So, if you're a student or otherwise affiliated with
academia, it's half of list price.

-dms

Old October 19th 05, 10:20 PM
Kinon O'cann

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
Pretty sweet feature set...

...Mac only?

Old October 19th 05, 10:36 PM
Ken Prager

In article ,
"Kinon O'cann" Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote:

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
Pretty sweet feature set...

..Mac only?

Yes,
Old October 19th 05, 11:33 PM
Nikon User

In article ,
Ken Prager wrote:

Pretty sweet feature set...

I already ordered it; 50% discount for students through Apple's
educational-sales program. All I had to give them were the name of my
school and my student ID number (oh, and my credit card info too). It
won't ship for another six to eight weeks, though.
Old October 19th 05, 11:35 PM
Nikon User

In article ,
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

Can it really handle Nikon RAW? I wonder about that.

iPhoto can handle D70 and earlier Nikon RAW; it can't handle D70s RAW
yet, though. So, I'm sure that Aperture can handle it.
Old October 19th 05, 11:42 PM
W (winhag)

Why do we need this software? Do they really expect to compete with
Photoshop?
While P'shop can be clunky or non-intuitive it has a zillion features
built up over time that people want/need. My guess is that Aperture
will look really good on the surface but there will be all sorts of
things that you'll want to do that you will not be able to do when you
really start using it....just like any other brand new software. And
oh, it doesn't support the vast majority of platforms (Windows) in the
world. The days of pro's using MACs only are over.

Old October 20th 05, 12:29 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
Ken Prager wrote:
In article ,
"Kinon O'cann" Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote:

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
Pretty sweet feature set...

..Mac only?

Yes,

According to the tech requirements, it won't run on my PowerMac G4. :-(