Image size , A technical puzzle.

Old July 12th 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Image size , A technical puzzle.

On 7/10/2015 11:19 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

suffice it to say that i know *much* more about neccc than you do.

And I think you're lying through your teeth.

think whatever you want, but i guarantee that what i said is correct.

You can claim to know things, but never offer any proof.

it should be obvious from what i've written so far that i'm quite
familiar with neccc.

The only obvious thing is that you read what's on their website. I have
been going to that conference for several non=consecutive years, in each
of which I have had an enjoyable educational experience. Candidly, that
is all I care about in making my decision in going.

you can't even get the name right.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 2:14 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I submit an image for a competition
that is more than 1400 pixels on the longest side, and/or not 72 ppi,
it will be rejected by the computer program that I use to upload the
image. It's happened to me.

what app is that?

How would I know?

because you claim to be using it.

do you not know the names of the apps you're using? if not, you're a
perfect target for being pwned.

Bull****. It's the program provided by the camera club for members to
use. It's not something I download. I just log in. I just go to the
club website, log in, and upload.

if you didn't download anything and instead login on a website, then
the app is not running on your computer. it's running on *their*
computer (a web server), accessed with your browser and using your
login/password for access.

the only thing provided to you are the credentials to log into *their*
system.

you continue to demonstrate your ignorance.

You want a name for the app?

yes. that's why i asked.

When I first joined the club, we sent an email to the club with the
image(s) attached.

that's really all that's needed.

Oh, so now you're going to tell a club how they should run their
online entry system?

i'm not telling anyone how to run anything.

Cough, cough.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

suffice it to say that i know *much* more about neccc than you do.

And I think you're lying through your teeth.

think whatever you want, but i guarantee that what i said is correct.

Your guarantee is less believable than the word of a Nigerian Cabinet
Minister's promise to share US $54 million with me if I respond to his
email.

then perhaps you ought to reply to it.

You can claim to know things, but never offer any proof.

it should be obvious from what i've written so far that i'm quite
familiar with neccc.

Bull****. All you've done is look at webpages just as I have. You
haven't said anything that a websearch wouldn't reveal.

bull**** right back.

the only thing i got from their website was the specifics of the
competition in which peter submitted two photos.

i could say quite a bit about neccc that *isn't* on their web site,

I am all eyes and ears.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 2:14 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

another thing you got wrong is that neccc is actually well known
outside of new england, as is http://www.swmccc.org outside of
michigan, because they're the two with model shoots. while most
attendees will be relatively nearby, not all of them will.

Model shoots are no big deal. They are popular with the vendors
because they are a good way for a vendor to expose club members to
lighting and background products. They lead to sales.

wrong.

model shoots are very popular with attendees, and in fact, one of the
most popular.

One of the reasons they are popular with attendees is that they get to
see equipment in use and play with it. That leads to sales of the
equipment. Sometimes the products are things the attendee has never
seen used before, and only read about.

nope.

the main reason model shoots are popular is because it's a legitimate
outlet for males to gawk at very attractive women and take photos of
them. it's as simple as that.

the still life setups or the ones of snakes or insects do not get
anywhere near as much of a following, even though some of the very same
lighting setups are used (which nobody plays with anyway, another thing
you got wrong).

vendors don't give a **** nor is there any pimping of lighting or
background products.

This is yet another thing where you know what other people think? You
know for sure that the vendors don't give a **** that the exposure of
their product leads to sales?

They don't have to "pimp" a product. Just stand back and let the
attendee work with it and see it in use.

again, you're talking out your ass.

attendees do not get to work with the lighting setups or backdrops used
in the indoor model shoot setups and unless someone looks for
specifics, they might not even know who makes any of it. it's not like
there are big signs advertising the setup.

for outdoors, there's nothing to work with. the lighting is courtesy of
mother nature and the backdrops are the buildings and landscape of the
campus. occasionally a classic car might be used as a prop, but that's
about it. are you now going to claim that ford is sponsoring the show
because someone shows up with a 60's mustang?

You aer demonstrating your ignorance of outdoor shooting. Bunny you
don't mention use of reflectiors, difusers, green screens, and other
outdoor light control techniques.
I question whether you have ever taken an outdoor photo, other than a
snapshot.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 10:16 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 02:14:28 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

I never said the program is on my computer or that I downloaded
anything. Why would you say that?

It's a program. I use it.

Tony, it's obvious he's trying to back off his original statement. It is
highly probable that he has used programs that he doesn't know the name of.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 4:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I never said the program is on my computer or that I downloaded
anything. Why would you say that?

It's a program. I use it.

when someone says they use a program, it means they use it on their own
system. nobody says they use a program when referring to visiting a web
site.

do you say you run a search program when you go to google.com? do you
say you run a file cataloging app when you go to flickr or smugmug? no.

Another survey? Proof?

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 4:49 PM, nospam wrote:

people aren't at the indoor sets to learn about which particular studio
lights to get. they're there to practice their skills in taking photos
in situations they might not otherwise be able to.

You must be talking about the skill it takes to release a shutter. If
the lighting is placed by someone else, and the shooting angle
determined by a third party, taking the image requires no skill on the
part of the person who operates the shutter release. Such an image was
not the product of the shooter.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/11/2015 7:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I never said the program is on my computer or that I downloaded
anything. Why would you say that?

It's a program. I use it.

when someone says they use a program, it means they use it on their own
system. nobody says they use a program when referring to visiting a web
site.

Nobody, hunh? I understand what the word "use" means, and that's what
I do. Visiting a website generally means to view the site. When you
do something at that site like logging in, you are using a program
that the logging-in allows you to use.

nope. you are using a browser, which connects to a web server that runs
what you call a program non-stop, including when you're not around
visiting it.

you are once again talking about things you know nothing about.

I'm not just visiting the camera club website when I use it to upload
my images. No sane person would think so.

nonsense.

do you say you run a search program when you go to google.com?

There are a multiplicity of things I might say to indicate that I use
Google. The most common would probably be "I Googled..." or "I did a
search for..."

Actually, I can't do a search. Google does it for me. I just tell it
what to search for.

actually, you can't do a lot of things, including having a normal
discussion without arguing, ad hominems and idiotic semantic games.

Strange comment comming from you.

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/12/2015 12:42 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Well, I didn't say NECCC is offering a full course on model
photography.

then why did you compare it to one?

There was no comparison made, but it was provided to show you what a
real model shoot involves since you obviously don't know.

another incorrect assumption and your complaint should be directed to
neccc, not me.

once again, i'm telling you what goes on there.

And you were ther, when?

whether you approve or not does not matter.

I don't fail to understand anything here.

oh yes you do.

And you say I argue. This is your typical type of response.

yes, you do argue. that's about all you do.

have you contributed anything other than arguing in this thread? nope.

i never said neccc offered the same thing as a dedicated model shoot
course.

Which post was it you talked about semantic games? Now it's not a
"dedicated model shoot course".

is that not what it is?

--
PeterN
Old July 12th 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:34:14 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/10/2015 6:49 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:05:40 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/9/2015 11:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I recently submitted two images to a competition. Bothe were 100 ppi and
measured, in pixels, 1020 x 768, both were saved at the same JPEG
compression level. Both files were saved as 8 bit JPEG.

there is no ppi in a jpeg file.

there is a tag that *suggests* an initial size, such as for a page
layout app (and that tag may not necessarily be used, depending on the
app), but other than that, the tag is meaningless.

ppi only matters when printing.

Yes. They intend to print certain images.

But the 72ppi they require fit no printer but that was the common ppi
of CRT screens.

This one is at least 100 ppi

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) or LED (Light Emitting Diode)?

anyone who requests a jpeg file at a specific ppi has no clue.

See above.

the pixel dimensions are what matters, and clearly they're stuck in the
1990s if they want it at 1024x768.

See rule 22.

Eric Stevens