Battery question

Old October 15th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Battery question

I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix
HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.
But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR
versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the
AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was on
the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the
batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then
be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.
Old October 15th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix
HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.
But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR
versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the
AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was
on
the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the
batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then
be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.

One or the other - it depends on you. If you use your camera a lot,
and/or stay in civilized parts of the world, the rechargeables are more
convenient and economical. For occasional or wilderness use, the
replaceable batteries shine.

I use both. For my day to day cameras, they all come with rechargeables
anyway, and that suits me fine. They get used and charged every week.
The backup cameras I keep in the car and elsewhere get used once or
twice a year, if at all - rechargeable batteries would have
self-discharged before then. So, I make sure they accept Lithium AAs,
and I'm always good.
Old October 15th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
quite well.

alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.
Old October 16th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/15/2012 5:59 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
quite well.

alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

Really it was Nicads I was talking about...of course I had that camera
over ten years ago. I still have it a Kodak 1MP. You can drop it on
cement and it just bounces!

I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
expensive.
Old October 16th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
quite well.

alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

Really it was Nicads I was talking about...of course I had that camera
over ten years ago. I still have it a Kodak 1MP. You can drop it on
cement and it just bounces!

ten years ago is a long time ago, and even then, nimh was the standard.

I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
expensive.

alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
demands of a digital camera,

nimh and lithium aa batteries can source a lot more current and work a
*lot* better. lithium aa batteries are not that cheap but their shelf
life is 10 years or more and make for an excellent backup for when the
rechargeables are exhausted.
Old October 16th 12, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/15/2012 6:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

[...]

Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

nimh and lithium aa batteries can source a lot more current and work a
*lot* better. lithium aa batteries are not that cheap but their shelf
life is 10 years or more and make for an excellent backup for when the
rechargeables are exhausted.

Yep

Old October 16th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
expensive.

alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
demands of a digital camera,

Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.
Old October 16th 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/15/2012 7:07 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
expensive.

alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
demands of a digital camera,

Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.

Believe me it does.
The camera I had would not function under 4.5 volts or so