Dooooole How Stuuupid can I -b

Old February 11th 04, 09:42 PM
Gregory W Blank

Default Dooooole How Stuuupid can I -b

Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
perfect now that its fixed.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old February 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Patrick Gainer

Gregory W Blank wrote:

Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
perfect now that its fixed.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

You know, don't you, that when you fall in excrement and come up
smelling like a rose, you're not supposed to let on like it ever
happened?
Old February 12th 04, 07:02 AM
FDN

"Patrick Gainer" wrote in message

Gregory W Blank wrote:

Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative

looks
perfect now that its fixed.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

You know, don't you, that when you fall in excrement and come up
smelling like a rose, you're not supposed to let on like it ever
happened?

I only know this because my cat told me.

Old February 12th 04, 10:09 AM
Jim Phelps

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message
Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
perfect now that its fixed.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

With luck like that, can you give me some numbers to play in the PowerBall
Lottery???

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old February 12th 04, 01:07 PM
dr bob

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message
Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
perfect now that its fixed.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Actually I don't think it is the developer. If the development was
stopped, either with the usual baths or plain water, fogging due to light
exposure should be minimal. I have done the same thing with sheet film - not
thinking well, mistakenly threw the wrong switch - should have been the
timer - just prior to immersion in the fixer bath.
It is true that film (and paper) will stain and discolor if
exposed too long prior to fixing, but if that exposure is limited to
fractions of seconds, very little deleterious effects will be realized.
HOWEVER, that should not indicate the advocating of sloppy techniques.

Truly, dr bob.

Old February 12th 04, 02:11 PM
Jordan Wosnick

Gregory W Blank wrote:

Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
perfect now that its fixed.

I read once that developer has a noticeable desensitizing effect on
unexposed silver halide. This probably bought you some leeway when you
opened the tank.

The first time I developed E6 (in the kitchen sink) the tank lid popped
off as I was washing the film between the first dev and colour dev
steps. No ill effects in the end, the slides turned out great.

Jordan
Old February 12th 04, 04:38 PM
Jim Phelps

"Jordan Wosnick" wrote in message
Gregory W Blank wrote:

Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative

looks
perfect now that its fixed.

I read once that developer has a noticeable desensitizing effect on
unexposed silver halide. This probably bought you some leeway when you
opened the tank.

The first time I developed E6 (in the kitchen sink) the tank lid popped
off as I was washing the film between the first dev and colour dev
steps. No ill effects in the end, the slides turned out great.

Jordan

In the old E-4 process, between the first and second developer, you actually
had to expose the film to a bright light to 'reverse' the image (at least
with Unicolor kits). I remember having a 500 watt photo flood for this
purpose. Now, I believe this reversal is done chemically. May be why the
E-6 process showed no ill effects...

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old February 12th 04, 04:46 PM
Frank Pittel

Gregory W Blank wrote:
: Well I did something really dumb today, was processing in the
: Jobo and I lifted the lid off before fixing my film. One thing I can
: attest to now: is that PMK does mask or block light, as the negative looks
: perfect now that its fixed.

I've heard that exposing film to light prior to fixing but after the stop
bath won't cause any problems. It has something to do with the fact that you
did indeed "expose" the film but since you didn't redevelop the film it
had no effect on the negative.

I've always been to chicken to try it and see if it actually works though. :-)
As to the stupid mistake part at least you got usable negatives after your
mistake. When I do something stupid I end up with nothing but clear plastic
or horribly fogged film.

-------------------

Old February 12th 04, 05:36 PM
Jordan Wosnick

Jim Phelps wrote:

In the old E-4 process, between the first and second developer, you actually
had to expose the film to a bright light to 'reverse' the image (at least
with Unicolor kits). I remember having a 500 watt photo flood for this
purpose. Now, I believe this reversal is done chemically. May be why the
E-6 process showed no ill effects...

Yup, E-6 does chemical reversal using a tin compound. I've been playing
a lot with B&W in the last few weeks (not sure if I'll continue) and
have been doing light reversal. I actually managed to "print out" the
positives with light that was too bright. It gave an interesting effect
-- solarized slides, as it were.

Jordan
Old February 12th 04, 05:44 PM
Jorge Omar

And this may be the explanation - it takes a lot of light to 'expose' a
developed film (500W flood, daylight, etc)

Jorge

"Jim Phelps" wrote in
: