Another Nikon D70 problem.

Old November 19th 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Another Nikon D70 problem.

When turning the camera on or any time the metering function is taking place in
the camera, the display cycles through multiple combinations of apertures and
speed. If I take a picture, the camera will use the setting that is currently in
the cycle, which usually means a garbage picture. Rather than go through
everything, I'm just adding the conversation I had with the Nikon tech support
guy.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks.

Discussion Thread - Camera is metering all over the place
Response (Norman L.) 11/16/2005 03:57 PM
John,

What mode are you shooting in? - Auto and program,

Aperture priority -shutter speed jumps all over the place
Shutter priority - aperture jumps all over the place
Manual - everything stays fine

When did this start? - about two weeks ago

Does it happen with and without a flash? - yes, and exposures are not consistent
with using a flash either

Is the battery fully charged? - yes

What memory card are you using? - Lexar WA 512MB 40x

Take the flash off the camera.

Do a two button reset on the camera.
Press and hold the two buttons with green dots beside them until the screen on
the top flashes once.

Do a custom menu reset on the camera.

Do you still have the same problem? - yes

What lens are you using? - Nikkor 18 - 70mm DX (kit lens)

Have you tried another lens? - no

Try another lens please. - (Nikkor 70-300mm ED) still bouncing all over the
place

Try a hard reset on the camera. - same problem

Unfortunately this means I'm going to have to recommend sending the camera into
service to have it looked at.

--
John H.
Old November 19th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

John H. wrote:
[...]

Let us know what happens.

Is there any sort of logical response when pointing to a bright area
versus dark area? Does it 'cycle' just pointing in the same spot? Does
it cycle regularly like it's in a loop or just bounce around?

On the purple pencil menu try turning on menu item 10. Exposure
Compensation ON. That lets you control exposure compensation with the
command dials and causes the meter to display in the viewfinder in all
modes. The meter is like a volume that goes left & right of zero +/-
maybe that makes the issue easier to explain or see? I usually use
Aperture A mode then spin the front dial to get a lighter or darker
exposure. Place the meter in the middle for a standard exposure.

In Manual M mode, you can use that meter even without changing the menu.
Does the meter work properly? Can you adjust the two dials to zero out
the meter in manual mode and get a good exposure?
Old November 19th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Paul Furman wrote:

John H. wrote:

[...]

Another thing to check is whether it's in spot metering mode. Near the
shutter are two buttons, the left button is metering mode. Hold that
button while spinning the rear command dial watching the small LCD on
top to switch between the three modes. I never really played with this
but noticed the manual recommends 3D color matrix for type G or D lenses
I think your lens qualifies but if not, it won't meter properly in that
mode and in any case I've always used center weighted. The third option
is spot metering which would vary a lot as you make slight movements
across a scene.

http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf

3D color matrix/ Color matrix

Metering is performed by 1,005-pixel RGB sensor, which sets exposure
based on variety of information from all areas of frame. This method is
particularly effective where frame is dominated by bright (white or
yellow) or dark (black or dark green) colors, when its results approach
what is seen by human eyes. 3D color matrix metering, which uses range
information from lens in adjusting exposure, is available only with type
G or D lenses. Color matrix metering, which does not include range
information, is available with other CPU lenses. Matrix metering will
not produce desired results with autoexposure lock ( 84) or exposure
compensation ( 86), but is recommended in most other cases.

Center-weighted

Camera meters entire frame but assigns greatest weight to area in center
of frame 8 mm (0.31˝) in diameter, shown by corresponding 8-mm reference
circle in viewfi nder. Classic meter for portraits; recommended when
using filters with exposure factor (fi lter factor) over 1 × ( 191).

Spot

Camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09˝) in diameter (approximately 1% of
frame). Circle is centered on current focus area, making it possible to
meter off-center subjects (if Closest subjct is selected for AF-area
mode, camera will meter center focus area). En sures that sub ject will
be correctly ex posed, even when back ground is much brighter or darker.
Old November 19th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:09:44 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

John H. wrote:
[...]

In aperture mode, the speed bounces around, but the aperture remains as set.
Ditto for speed mode. In manual mode, everything remains as set.

No, the amount of light entering the lens seems to have no bearing on the
numbers showing up. I 'think' it's the same 8-10 speeds and f-stops showing up
all time. Turning #10 on had no effect. The numbers keep bouncing. But, now I
see that the meter in the viewfinder, with exp. comp. 'on', bounces back and
forth also!

I think I've got a virus (!) of some kind. This sounds like something Windows
would do.

Thanks for the help though! I do appreciate the time.

--
John H.
Old November 19th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

********************************************* **
[...]

I'll assume the meter doesn't bounce in Manual M mode. That is odd. That
does suggest it might be a software bug like you say. One more thing to
try is updating/re-loading the firmware. You can download the D70s
firmware from nikon and get some new features and it might replace the
bug. Download it & copy to a memory card & follow the directions.

I think I've got a virus (!) of some kind. This sounds like something Windows
would do.

Thanks for the help though! I do appreciate the time.

No problem, I learned a little about metering modes!
Old November 19th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:00:59 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

John H. wrote:

[...]

I just checked all the metering modes, but it continues to cycle through various
apertures and speeds. I tried using the meter in the viewfinder, in manual mode,
but the 'volume' indicator just keeps bouncing back and forth from + to -,
sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.

I really do appreciate the time you're putting into trying to help out. (And I'm
learning some new things also!)
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
Old November 19th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

********************************************** *
[...]

Yup, I did that also. I was hoping the new firmware would solve the problem, but
no such luck.

Old November 19th 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Hi
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the D70.
As a D70 owner I look on with interest (or was that trepidation?)
How old is the machine, please and do you know of anything which may have
contributed to the problem - type of usage etc.?
Just a very long shot but .......
have you tried removing all power - main battery and remove it for long
enough to allow the rechargeable date / memory backup battery to fail =
maybe more than 24 hrs, I really don't know. However the main battery
charges the memory and date backup battery - the idea is to wipe all known
data in case it has somehow become confused - seen similar things with
static discharges near electronic devices - even thunderstorms etc.
HTH.
Hew