Spot the 18-55mm Canon 'kit' lens ?

Old August 6th 05, 02:57 PM
dylan

Default Spot the 18-55mm Canon 'kit' lens ?

I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L series), all
set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

Old August 6th 05, 03:21 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"dylan" wrote in message
I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L series),
all set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

Ok I'll play along.

I'd say the middle shot. At least that how my shots with the 18-55 look...
Soft.

--

Rob

Old August 6th 05, 03:48 PM
David Littlewood

In article , dylan
writes
I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L series), all
set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

Well, I'll stick my neck out. I have to say that on screen the
differences did not seem that great in the central area.

To me, picture 3 appears to be the sharpest, both in centre and at the
edges. The writing on the TV connector sockets, in particular, is way
better than on 2 (it is cropped off on 1, but from the cloth it would
likely be worse).

Pictures 1 and 2 are harder to call. This may in part be because you
have (I suspect) set the lens for 1 at a slightly longer focal length,
and thus have slightly less DoF (it has a little more bird but a lot
less TV). Thus picture 2 seems to me better at the edge (closer subject)
- but it seems slightly, very slightly, less sharp than picture 1.

Thus I would go for 2 as being the poorest lens.

Whether that is the 18-55, I don't know. While it has been slated by
many here, plenty of people of good credentials have praised it. For
example, David Kilpatrick (editor of UK magazine Freelance + Digital,
and himself an accomplished professional) says in the June/July issue of
that magazine: "We have a Canon 300D which has a new cheap 18-55mm
digital lens - great little performer."

To be honest, even if a lens was a little below the standard I would
normally choose to use, I would expect it to be hard to tell by f/8. It
may be more informative if you were to use f/4.5, or whatever is the
widest all 3 can achieve. Use manual focus, take great care to focus on
the same point in all 3 - and take more care to get the focal lengths
exactly equal!

Nice to see someone actually trying an experiment rather than just
shooting his mouth off, though - thanks for that.

David

PS - I just realised my daughter has one of these controversial lenses -
came on the 350 I bought her a couple of years ago. I have never thought
to give it a try myself. Going on holiday tomorrow though, so it will
have to wait.
--
David Littlewood
Old August 6th 05, 06:06 PM
jean

#3 looks like the sharpest
#1 is second sharpest
#2 is the least sharp

I know which is which, the EXIF says it all but my answers were not done
according to what I knew, but according to what my eyes told me.

I will have to duplicate this test, I have many lenses which can all be set
at the same focal lenght.

Jean

Old August 6th 05, 06:29 PM
Dean S. Lautermilch

"dylan" wrote in message
I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L series),
all set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

You have a lot of dust bunnies showing for F8.

Old August 6th 05, 06:30 PM
Frank ess

dylan wrote:
I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L
series), all set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

I vote middle for the 'kit'; image quality/sharpness at normal viewing
or Web sizes, probably not much to choose among them, but in this
presentation my eye likes #3, #1, #2, in that order.

--
Frank ess

Old August 6th 05, 06:56 PM
Brian Baird

In article , says...
I've taken 3 photos with 3 different Canon Zoom lens (non are L series), all
set at 24mm f8 on a 350D.
Full Res jpegs, hope you have broadband.

Can you identify the 18-55mm 'kit lens' ?

http://www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk/lenses.htm

This is not a scientific test.

I can spot where you took down some pictures. Nail holes!

I'm not going to guess on which one is which. 1 and 3 seem good, with 3
being the best.

2 doesn't seems to have its focus behind the objects on the desk,
because the picture frame is in better focus than the foreground
objects.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Old August 6th 05, 06:59 PM
David Littlewood

In article , jean
writes
#3 looks like the sharpest
#1 is second sharpest
#2 is the least sharp

I know which is which, the EXIF says it all but my answers were not done
according to what I knew, but according to what my eyes told me.

How did you see the EXIF data? I couldn't see it on the page.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old August 6th 05, 08:36 PM
G.T.

"David Littlewood" wrote in message

PS - I just realised my daughter has one of these controversial lenses -
came on the 350 I bought her a couple of years ago.

Years ago? I don't think so.

Greg

Old August 6th 05, 10:29 PM
Toa

How did you see the EXIF data? I couldn't see it on the page.
David

Download the image maybe?

Toa