Expired film

Old October 9th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve Bosell

Default Expired film

I have a few rolls of Ektachrome 120 that expired 5/05, but it's been stored
in my refrigerator since it was new, do you suppose that it's still okay?

Thanks!

Old October 9th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

Steve Bosell wrote:
I have a few rolls of Ektachrome 120 that expired 5/05, but it's been stored
in my refrigerator since it was new, do you suppose that it's still okay?

Thanks!

If kept in the freezing compartment then "yes".

Old October 9th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charles

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 01:23:10 -0700, "Steve Bosell"
wrote:

I have a few rolls of Ektachrome 120 that expired 5/05, but it's been stored
in my refrigerator since it was new, do you suppose that it's still okay?

Thanks!

Yes, I suppose it is. Try a roll first before you take it on a once
in a lifetime vacation trip, though.
Old October 9th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve Bosell

No vacations planned, but with my luck, I'll get the shot of my life only to
be ruined by bad film! I think I'll just throw it in the round file!

Old October 9th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

"Steve Bosell" writes:

No vacations planned, but with my luck, I'll get the shot of my life only to
be ruined by bad film! I think I'll just throw it in the round file!

I think the worst you can expect is that the colors will be a bit off.
Old October 9th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Steve Bosell wrote:
No vacations planned, but with my luck, I'll get the shot of my life only to
be ruined by bad film! I think I'll just throw it in the round file!

What a waste. Film is not milk. Except for the very high speed film such
as T-Max P3200, most film does not "go bad". It ages. All films are sensitive
to cosmic radiation, but until they get to the speed of P3200, they are
not sensitive enough to matter.

All film develops fog with age, although it takes many years for normal
speed film to become a problem. Color film experiences two problems,
one, it becomes obsolete and the processing becomes difficult or in
some cases impossible to find. Kodachrome is unfortunately headed that
way. In the case of slightly out of date Ektachrome, there is no chance
of that for a long time.

The second is color shifts. Professional color film is aged in caves until
it reaches the desired color response and then shipped with short expiration
dates under refrigeration. This is because professional photographers care
about exact color balance and need the consistency.

Consumer film is just shipped as needed, the color shifts won't bother
your average consumer.

Unless your film was stored in an oven (you said it was refigerated),
it should be fine for several years.

As others of have said, it probably should not be used for those once in
a lifetime shots, but if you happen upon one with that film in your camera,
I would not hesitate to use it. YMMV.

If you really don't want to use it, and want to do a "good deed" stick it
in an envelope and send it to me. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old October 9th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Simon Meeds

"Steve Bosell" wrote in message
. ..
No vacations planned, but with my luck, I'll get the shot of my life only
to be ruined by bad film! I think I'll just throw it in the round file!

Last week I saw work by an excellent slide worker who *only* uses out of
date Kodachrome 64. He called new stock, rubbish.

Simon

Old October 10th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

"Steve Bosell" wrote in message
. ..
I have a few rolls of Ektachrome 120 that expired 5/05, but it's been

stored
in my refrigerator since it was new, do you suppose that it's still okay?

Thanks!

Expired film is great for taking pictures of something you are selling on
Ebay.

Old October 10th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve Bosell

Maybe I'll use it to take pictures of expired film I'm selling on ebay! :-)

Old October 10th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
nathantw

I still have one roll of 120-size Kodachrome 64 just to prove to myself
that it did exist at one time.