My dream camera

Old September 9th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Default My dream camera

Steve Bosell wrote:
1. The size and weight of my old Olympus OM2n

2. The Matrix metering and auto-focusing of my Nikon F4

3. The optics of my Rollei Zeiss 2.8 Planar TLR

I can dream can't I? :-)

If you eliminate the useless stuff (matrix metering & autofocus) it
exists: It's called the Leica M...

Old September 10th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"Steve Bosell" wrote:

1. The size and weight of my old Olympus OM2n

2. The Matrix metering and auto-focusing of my Nikon F4

3. The optics of my Rollei Zeiss 2.8 Planar TLR

I can dream can't I? :-)

"Auto-focusing of my Nikon F4"? You must be kidding!

Sounds more like a nightmare, certainly *not* a dream!

Old September 10th 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Steve Bosell

Okay, "auto-focusing" Period!
---------------------------------

Old September 10th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"Steve Bosell" wrote:

Okay, "auto-focusing" Period!

That's better. ;-)

The F4 was probably Nikon's "best manual focus SLR", but the F4's
autofocus system worked surprisingly well with AF-S lenses. The
screwdriver AF was very slow.

Old September 10th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Tony Polson wrote:
"Steve Bosell" wrote:

Okay, "auto-focusing" Period!

That's better. ;-)

The F4 was probably Nikon's "best manual focus SLR", but the F4's
autofocus system worked surprisingly well with AF-S lenses. The
screwdriver AF was very slow.

I hope you don't mind if I ask, Tony, but what is your dream (favorite)
camera?
Your opinion is well respected. You were dead-on with the advice you
gave me in the past.
Helen

Old September 15th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

wrote:

I hope you don't mind if I ask, Tony, but what is your dream (favorite)
camera?
Your opinion is well respected. You were dead-on with the advice you
gave me in the past.

Helen,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for the delay in replying as I was
working away from home.

I am not sure I have a "dream" as there isn't just one camera that
does everything well enough - at least not yet!

However my "favourite" camera is a Leica M rangefinder. That's
because my favourite lenses (by far) are the Leica lenses for the M
Series, especially the ones I use most often - the 24mm f/2.8, 35mm
f/2, 50mm f/2.8 and 90mm f.2.8. All except the 35mm are current
models but the 35mm is the fourth version, the last before the current
version.

[The 35mm f/2 fourth version is widely known as the "bokeh king"
because of its sublimely smooth rendition of out of focus elements of
the shot when used at or near full aperture. It is also an extremely
sharp performer.

The current version is even sharper, but the extra sharpness comes at
the expense of smooth bokeh, which is why I (and a great many other
Leica users) prefer the previous version. Used, it sells for the same
price as the later version which is much more expensive when new.]

My favourite camera would have to accept my favourite lens, and so it
is a Leica M body. Any M body will do! I use two M7 bodies plus I
have an M3, a CL and a Minolta CLE in reserve.

My head would choose the M7, my heart the M3.

I hope that answers your question. ;-)

Old September 15th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Tony Polson wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, that answers my question and more! Thanks Tony. I admire the Leica
cameras too. It's just that they are so expensive. Especially the
lenses =:^o I used a Leica M in my college years and almost cried
when I had to hand it back to the photography department.Right now I'm
using a Nikon F90X.I bought it practically new as the owner turned to
digital.
Your advice with the Nikkor Micro 60mm AF D lens was valuable to me and
thanks again for that and for your reply.
Helen