Nikkor AI lenses on D70

Old February 5th 05, 02:10 AM
Ivan

Default Nikkor AI lenses on D70

This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
any damage caused by an AI lens?
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
Ivan

Old February 5th 05, 02:53 AM
Michael Benveniste

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, "Ivan"
wrote:

What does the D70 manual say?

There's an online manual at:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf

On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old February 5th 05, 03:02 AM
Mike G.

Ivan wrote:
This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
any damage caused by an AI lens?
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
Ivan

Check out this link, though it might be more detailed than you want:

Nikon F-mount steps
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhanse...mountsteps.htm

If you click the 'F-mount index' link at the bottom of the page, you can
become even more dazzled (dizzied?) with detail.
Old February 5th 05, 03:05 AM
Ivan

Very appreciated, thanks. I don't have a D70 yet so of course I couldn't
have looked that up. )

Old February 5th 05, 04:21 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Ivan" writes:

This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
any damage caused by an AI lens?
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)

*Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

I use AI lenses routinely on a Fuji S2, which is built on the N80
body and hence in this regard is similar to the D100. I've used 24mm
f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 58mm f1.2 NOCT, and 105mm f2.5 AI lenses on my
S2.

All the compatibility charts show AIS lenses working on all cameras
that AI lenses work on. I can't find a definition of the difference,
and neither designation seems to be marked on the lenses.
Old February 5th 05, 04:22 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

What does the D70 manual say?

There's an online manual at:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf

On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

Which is the general behavior of non-AF (non-chipped, specifically)
lenses on Nikon digital bodies. It certainly matches what happens
with AI lenses on my Fuji S2.
Old February 5th 05, 04:29 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Mike G." writes:

Ivan wrote:
[...]

Yikes! That's very detailed. I like people who bother to find all
the information and put it together in one place! So, AI-S followed
AI more quickly than I had guessed it would. (The Nikon System
Handbook says 1982 rather than the 1979 that the URL above gives,
though.) So some or most of my lenses may be AI-S rather than AI.
Some have the orange minimum aperture numerals, some do not.
Old February 5th 05, 08:31 AM
Jason P

Here's the link to the D70 lens compatibility chart on Nikon's support site:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...ted=1029163096

AI lenses will work but only provide manual focus and metering.

Old February 5th 05, 12:55 PM
Lourens Smak

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

"Ivan" writes:

This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals).

*Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

Even older *non-Ai* lenses can in fact damage the body. These have an
aperture ring that falls a bit over the bayonet, for which there is no
room with modern bodies. This will/could damage either a non-flip-up Ai
slider (plm. 2 o clock on the bayonet), or the little switch of newer
bodies. (plm 7 o clock on the bayonet). Ai lenses are perfectly safe, as
far as I know.

Lourens
Old February 5th 05, 08:28 PM
Glenn Jacobs

From: "Ivan"
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Nikkor AI lenses on D70
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600

This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
any damage caused by an AI lens?
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
Ivan

I have used several Manual Lenses and one AI Lens with my D-70 without
problem. They have to be used in Manual "M" mode however. The only thing
that I have found is that they tend to be a little tight and require more
force to put it on the camera than the "G" lens that came with it.

Jake