Using Photoshop for Zone/Speed Test

Old November 17th 04, 03:46 AM
rgans

That's the approach I decided on. Thanks!!
"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

rgans wrote:

Hey, I"m a darkroom guy, too. I just thought it the tool would work, I
should use it. If it doesn't, no big deal.

An inexpensive visual densitometer you can get used
is far simpler, accurate, and a lot cheaper than a
scanner+PS.

"jjs" wrote in message
"f/256" wrote in message

"rgans" wrote in
message
Some additional info: when I scan in the gray card and convert to
RGB,
my
values are about 83/83/83, not 128/128/128. I don't know why that is
the
case.

Because the Zones and densities do not have a linear relationship
between
them.

Indeed true, and somehow this whole idea of using Photoshop as if it
were
truly a wet process replacement turns my stomach. I must be getting
older
than I thought.

Old November 17th 04, 06:08 PM
Bartek Plichta

Hi,

It looks like your scanner has incorrect brightness (and possibly
contrast) settings. Are you able to control these settings with your
scanner? This is where I would start.

Translating the Zone System into Photoshop should not be very hard to
do. I will give it a try and let you know if I've been successful.

Hope this helps.

Bartek

rgans wrote:
Some additional info: when I scan in the gray card and convert to RGB, my
values are about 83/83/83, not 128/128/128. I don't know why that is the
case.

RON
"rgans" wrote in message

I know I've read about this before (can't find anything about it, however).
What I would like to do is this: Use Photoshop (and a scanner) for a speed
test. That is, shoot a frame at Zone V, then Zone I. Develop and test. In
a class I had a while back, I remember using a densitometer to determine
Zone I for a particular film/developer combination. So, would this work:
scan in a gray card (18%); then scan in a sheet of film (in this case Tri-X
320 4x5 developed in HC110) which I shot at Zone V. In theory (if I'm
correct), the scanned sheet should closely resemble the scanner gray card,
right? And if so, what value would K have (in the RGB info panel) for Zone
I? And why? Or...why would this not work?

Thanks! I hope I've expressed this correctly.

RON
________________________________________________ _________________
B&W Landscape and Still Photography: http://www.ronaldgansphotography.com

--
http://bartus.org

Old November 18th 04, 12:28 AM
jjs

"Bartek Plichta" wrote in message
Hi,

It looks like your scanner has incorrect brightness (and possibly
contrast) settings. Are you able to control these settings with your
scanner? This is where I would start.

Translating the Zone System into Photoshop should not be very hard to do.
I will give it a try and let you know if I've been successful.

What a joke! You can 'translate' all you wish, but if you don't do wet
darkroom work it means absolutely nothing; what you are doing is something
else entirely - so begins the thread "digital zone system" which I will
watch with great disinterest.

Old November 18th 04, 01:38 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article , "jjs"
wrote:

What a joke! You can 'translate' all you wish, but if you don't do wet
darkroom work it means absolutely nothing; what you are doing is something
else entirely - so begins the thread "digital zone system" which I will
watch with great disinterest.

Now you' ve done it congratulations!!! Next we shall hear from
the "HMS Nutcase" to pipe in and expound on Zone Nazis and
how the digital age is no deterent to thier abuses of his pure
photographic b.s.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Robert Vervoordt

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:38:50 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

In article , "jjs"
wrote:

What a joke! You can 'translate' all you wish, but if you don't do wet
darkroom work it means absolutely nothing; what you are doing is something
else entirely - so begins the thread "digital zone system" which I will
watch with great disinterest.

Now you' ve done it congratulations!!! Next we shall hear from
the "HMS Nutcase" to pipe in and expound on Zone Nazis and
how the digital age is no deterent to thier abuses of his pure
photographic b.s.

Already, we see the effects of answering him. He's ba-a-a-ck!

Thankz jj and Tom and Dan. Great work. Not!

Robert Vervoordt, MFA
Old November 18th 04, 02:38 AM
jjs

"Robert Vervoordt" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:38:50 GMT, Gregory W Blank

Now you' ve done it congratulations!!! Next we shall hear from
the "HMS Nutcase" to pipe in and expound on Zone Nazis and
how the digital age is no deterent to thier abuses of his pure
photographic b.s.

Already, we see the effects of answering him. He's ba-a-a-ck!

That's one reason Blank, among others, is in my killfile.

Old November 18th 04, 02:38 AM
jjs

"Robert Vervoordt" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:38:50 GMT, Gregory W Blank

Now you' ve done it congratulations!!! Next we shall hear from
the "HMS Nutcase" to pipe in and expound on Zone Nazis and
how the digital age is no deterent to thier abuses of his pure
photographic b.s.

Already, we see the effects of answering him. He's ba-a-a-ck!

That's one reason Blank, among others, is in my killfile.

Nikon View / Capture vs PhotoShop CS question TamLin Digital Photography 1 October 13th 04 07:16 AM
Strange Photoshop problem The Duke Digital Photography 4 October 9th 04 04:51 AM
Photoshop CS 16-bit image limitations David Dyer-Bennet Digital Photography 6 September 18th 04 11:28 AM
test Juhan Leemet Digital Photography 2 July 20th 04 02:33 AM
Develper for Delta-100 Frank Pittel In The Darkroom 8 March 1st 04 04:36 PM