Slide projector as a substitute for a painting...

Old October 10th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Slide projector as a substitute for a painting...

Thanks for all the replies. Hmmm. Sounds like I'd almost need to set
up a maintenance dept to keep the slide projector going. The
keystoning shouldn't be a problem, though.

So, maybe a digital slide projector. This certainly seems more
practical than using a whackign big LCD screen. Can anyone recommend a
good one that's not too dear? I remember going to a meeting in a
fairly bright room and someone pulled out one (Toshiba, I think) that
was incredibly bright...and small.
Are today's digital projectors relatively better in terms of light
intensity than the old 35mm slide projectors?

Cheers,

Gus

Old October 10th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Are today's digital projectors relatively better in terms of light
intensity than the old 35mm slide projectors?

Cheers,

Gus

Oh - and is there one for which you can simply insert a memory card,
rather than having to connect it to a computer. I know typically you
attach a computer, but given how this would be used that would make for
a pretty clunky setup!

Gus

Old October 11th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

wrote:
I need some advice. We have a large, double-height wall and we're
looking at alternatives to simply hanging a painting or other picture
in the space. One option we're looking at is to buy a slide projector
and project an image onto the wall. To do this, I've got a couple
questions:
1) Would a standard 35mm slide projector do the job? As the slides
would be subject to the intense heat from the lamp for a long period of
time, would this be practical, or would it simply burn through, or
otherwise distort the slide fairly quickly? Or is it possible to get a
slide made using a process that's particularly robust (and not overly
expensive).
2) Can anyone recommend a slide projector that's reasonably priced for
this purpose. I've noticed on ebay that 35mm projectors are pretty
cheap, given the massive move to digital alternatives, so would
probably pick up a machine there.
3) I'm looking to project an image that would be roughly 8ft x 12ft.
To do this effectively, is there a minimum wattage I'd need to
consider? I'm assuming given this size that I'd also need to get a
better-than-standard lense as well, but any points of view on this
would be of interest.
Thanks,
Gus

You might also what to think about a large print, I just order a 30 x
60 inch print for $30. This might not be as larger as you want but it
can be seen in bright light, make no noise, take no power and does not
need a new bulb from time to time.

Scott

Old October 11th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

You might also what to think about a large print,

Definitely worth considering.

Cheers,

Gus

Old October 13th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Steve Bosell

Do what I did Gus, buy a large LCD and hang it on your wall and connect a PC
to it! My living room is now filled with my high resolution photos
(1920x1080) and football games too! :-)

Old October 13th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark˛

wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Hmmm. Sounds like I'd almost need to set
up a maintenance dept to keep the slide projector going. The
keystoning shouldn't be a problem, though.

So, maybe a digital slide projector. This certainly seems more
practical than using a whackign big LCD screen. Can anyone recommend a
good one that's not too dear? I remember going to a meeting in a
fairly bright room and someone pulled out one (Toshiba, I think) that
was incredibly bright...and small.
Are today's digital projectors relatively better in terms of light
intensity than the old 35mm slide projectors?

Cheers,

Computer projectors have VERY expensive replacement bulb "units"...often
costing $300-$400, and they typically only have a 1000-1500 hour life-span.
Personally, I think you're really taking a difficult and cumbersome (not to
mention expensive) strategy.

I'd either use large, well-lit prints, or a large LCD monitor as some have
suggested.

I'm wondering what the long-term effects of constant hot light has on a
single slide.
Most slides are only subjected to a minute or so of light on occasion. I'm
wondering what the effect of constant heat on a single slide would have...
Don't know...

Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 13th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

An alternative would be an LCD projector

Digital projectors are very low resolution and the bulbs are a few
hundred dollars to replace. Keystone correction is easy though.

At a normal viewing distance, they are fine enough.

1024x768 is less than 1 MP or about a 3-1/2 inch wide print at 300dpi.
It's great for watching DVD's and really the only option for projecting
digital pics to a large group but a decent computer monitor is easily
twice a detailed.

snip
--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old October 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bob Hickey

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need some advice. We have a large, double-height wall and we're
looking at alternatives to simply hanging a painting or other picture
in the space.

There are places that make large transparent photos on glass I think. You
probably have seen them in stores advertising cruise trips or such. They
are made on glass and lit from the back. I don't recall ever seeing one

the
size you want though. The other thing would be to have a photo that size
made with something like track lighting aimed at it, making it stand out.
For the glass pictures you might do a search on Google or contact
advertising agencies about what they offer. Ric in Wisc.

I think what you're thinking is

"DuraTrans". They use them in dept. stores in makeup depts. I think they're
backlit w/ flourescent tubes, but they're plastic slides, just really large
and really expensive, but maintenance free. Bob Hickey