extremely frustrated with stainless steel reels

Old February 28th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default extremely frustrated with stainless steel reels

David Nebenzahl wrote:
JON NOXON spake thus:

Another caveat: never use PhotoFlo with the reels. Take the film off
the reel first! This is probably doubly important with plastic reels.

I've never heard this before. Why not? I user Photo-Flo all the time
with film on the reel (plastic) and have never had any problems.

I hear it from time-to-time, but I find it makes no difference provided you
rinse the reels thoroughly in hot water after processing before the reels
have a chance to dry.

While I make no attempt to convince anyone, I find Nikor Stainless Steel
reels very easy to load. I have used Jobo 1500 series and they were a pain.
I now use Jobo 2500 series reels and they are very good, but stainless is
better.

I use Jobo because I have their system and it is good enough, though once in
a while I swear a lot when loading 35 mm films in hot muggy summers when I
cannot keep my hands dry enough.

^^-^^ 18:00:00 up 6 days, 20:19, 3 users, load average: 4.56, 4.54, 4.34
Old February 28th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
Were previous Olympics held in Moskva, Muenchen or Athine?
Do we call it the "Shroud of Torino"?

No!

So learn to speak English already and call it Turin.

- from someone's blog
Old February 28th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

JON NOXON spake thus:

Another caveat: never use PhotoFlo with the reels. Take the film
off the reel first! This is probably doubly important with
plastic reels.

I've never heard this before. Why not? I user Photo-Flo all the
time with film on the reel (plastic) and have never had any
problems.

I hear it from time-to-time, but I find it makes no difference provided you
rinse the reels thoroughly in hot water after processing before the reels
have a chance to dry.

I don't even see why that should be a concern: Photo-Flo is very
water-soluble and can just be rinsed off with cold water. (After all,
it's basically just detergent.)

Old February 28th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

JON NOXON wrote:

Another caveat: never use PhotoFlo with the reels.
Take the film off the reel first! This is probably doubly
important with plastic reels. Hope this helps. Jon

With plastic or stainless I've for years used Photo Flo.
I think implying that some danger exists in doing so
has no grounds. Dan

Old February 28th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

JON NOXON wrote:
Nick and the group:

The outside diameter of the Jobo version of the Hewes reels is the same as
Nikkor reels. The Jobo version is made to fit the plastic rod in the 1500
series Jobo tanks. Nikkor reels, and most of the others I have seen have a
smaller core diameter that does not fit the Jobo rod. I believe Jobo offered
a special rod to fit the standard Hewes reels too.

Yup that's right. Need the special centre column with the Hewes reels.
OTOH I don't think he has a Jobo tank so he's likely better off with just
normal Hewes reels.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old March 6th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

"UC" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have used Paterson reels and tanks for 35 years without difficulty.

There is nothing better.

Except if they are even slightly moist.

Many pros keep the spirals in the film drying cabinet