[SI] Local Culture - The Dave comments...

Old June 29th 04, 02:39 AM
The DaveŠ

Default [SI] Local Culture - The Dave comments...

As someone mentioned, it does seem that alot of the mandate was missed
here, but on many I'm not so sure. There are a few that just scream
'local culture', but I think if one looks deeper into many of the
images that things about the place can be picked out. I'm going to try
and relate what I read into, or get out of, each picture. Some points
that I make will probably have been made by others, or answered when
others brought them up. I'm just going to make my own as I see them.

JIM KRAMER - Small town atmosphere. I think this one does tell alot.
I like it, but then I'm partial to rural scenes, anyway. Not much
happens in this town. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. Slow,
easy paced. Informal, as indicated by the traffic signals on the
wires. It's an old town, obviously, but there's a mix of remodeling
and redevelopment, so the area is on the move, so to speak. It's not
stuck in time. I can't put my finger on why, but the traffic lights
really make this one.

AL DENELSBECK - Another pictures that indicates a slow-paced lifestyle.
I start at the sun, then my eye wanders toward the 'smoothness' of the
water, but the silhouettes of the fishermen draws my eye to them in the
end. It seems to denote an area where water sports is very popular and
common. Were you standing in the water when you took it?

BOWSER - This one I don't think fits the mandate well. I like the
picture, but it could be pretty much anywhere. Who doesn't have kids
in generic soccer uniforms? What makes me like it, though, is the kid
under the chairs. His disinterest in the game and expression make it.

ALAN BROWNE - The shadows seem dark, but I'm presently viewing this at
work on an old monitor, so that's probably not a fair statement. Is
this an old neighborhood? I like the house very much, though I'm not
sure what it says about the culture or area.

DOUG PAYNE - I thought Amish when I first saw it, but then wondered
about the utility hook-ups to the building. My knowledge of the many
variations of Amishness is lacking, though. I think it does say alot
about the area. Again, slow-paced, serious, studious. The people here
aren't lazy, they take care of their land and surroundings. They're
not pretentious, either.

PICH POS - Low-budget touristy area? Is that someone's home? Are the
stairs in disrepair, or are the owners tired of strangers invading
their space?

KEN NADVORNICK - This could easily be the gold rush foothills in
California, also. It has the same feel to it. An area that either
time has passed by, or in this case, maybe it never caught up to begin
with.

JOSEPH KEWFI - Is this a regular outdoor market or a one-time event?
The casual interaction makes it interesting. The framing is a little
too tight to get a feel for what is happening beyond the transaction.

VIC MASON - Unless the culture is sewage or inner-city neglect, I'm not
sure I get this one. I think it's visually strong, as it leads the eye
around the corners and gets me involved looking at it and wondering,
though.

MIKE HENLEY - I like this one. Ever see the movie "The Commitments"?
This reminds me of that movie, though not quite as 'desperate'.
Lower-class neighborhood, but not a slum. The people here are probably
hard-working and basically honest and decent. Home ain't much, but
it's home, and they treat it with the respect it deserves for being
home. It helps that there are no people in the shot. In this case, I
think that would've detracted from the feeling.

MICHAEL J. HOFFMAN - Crabs. Someone said Maryland, I think. This
screams 'local culture' to me. Framed very well, and really captures
the atmosphere and mood. We have a local Crawdad Festival every year
and I thought of taking pictures of something similar to this shot,
with the crawdads being eaten and/or cooked, but decided against it.
The timing of our festival and the mandate worked well, too.

COLM GALLAGHER - Just my tastes, but for me, a deeper depth of field
would've been better. I'm picturing a somewhat urban area, in spite of
the surrounding trees, grass, etc.

THE DAVE - More of an explanation and an answer to some other's
comments. This is the main street of the town I live in. It is an old
farming community in the California Delta. All of the buildings on
this street were built in 1926 after a large fire destroyed everything,
and virtually all are spaced 8 feet apart and have metal siding as a
cheap way to ensure against another big fire. They are all in various
states of (dis)repair. Someone mentioned one building looking as if it
might fall over. It just might. There are half a dozen like that.
The neighborhood is an old Chinatown district, from farm laborers and
levee builders We can get beautiful sunsets here, and this one I
grabbed, handheld, at f5.6, on a spur-of-the-moment. It disappeared
quickly after I got this, and if I had set up my tripod in an attempt
to get a better exposure I would have missed it completely. In spite
of the darkness of some of it, I still find myself liking this shot. I
have no illusions that it's technically perfect, but it speaks to me,
if that makes sense. I feel like it catches the aire of the area.
Casual. Old. Out of place and odd in today's world.

BRET DOUGLAS - Very old. Very informal, but still in use and cared
for. Personally, I don't mind the wires. I probably never would've
thought about it had they been erased, but they are there, and I'm not
so sure that trying too hard to erase reality is a good thing, anyway.
I like the randomness of the markers.

MATT CLARA - The big city. Not sure what to say, unless the intent was
to show either the lack of culture, or maybe, the fast paced and
faceless culture that we have really come into, whether we want to
acknowledge it, or not. Actually a very nice contrast with Bret's
picture, showing where we were and where we are now.

PARV - I want to say bay area. Maybe Oakland? The street looks very
familiar. The casual weekend hobbies of American enthusiasts, whatever
their particular interest may be. This does say alot about where we
are as a culture today. In the US, at least. Almost everybody's
wearing shorts. I remember watching old movies from the 30s and 40s
and virtually everybody wore suits. Even in Abbot and Costello movies,
and Three Stooges clips, they wore suits on a day-to-day basis. We
have changed alot in that regard, and this shows that.

Ok, that's it. These are my thoughts. I hope I have not insulted
anybody, as that was not my intent. I will say one thing, though...
Damn! This was harder than I thought.

--
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.
~Author Unknown
Old June 29th 04, 04:16 AM
Rich Pos

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:39:09 GMT, The DaveŠ wrote:

Low-budget touristy area? Is that someone's home? Are the
stairs in disrepair, or are the owners tired of strangers invading
their space?

Hey TheDave, What up..

This is a place where many people from Chicago spend the day at the
beach. Quite the party spot. It's a 45 minute ride from 'da loop' (if
traffic cooperates).
The building was a hotel in the 50's - 60's, now I'm not sure what it
is.
The owner is tired of people...... The guy is a gas. Talk about
anal... he makes TP seem relaxed.
In all fairness it's a beautiful area. In the 50 square miles that
make up the _Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore_ and vicinity, there
are more indigenous plants than practically anywhere on the planet.
Something about the receding glaciers at the end of the last ice age
and being on the Southern tip of Lake Michigan. The sand dunes are
quite a site as is the Heron rookery. One of the best kept secrets in
the Midwest.

http://www.savedunes.org/html/dunes.html
http://www.nps.gov/indu/

RPŠ
-
Sox kick Cub butt )

Old June 29th 04, 04:46 AM
The DaveŠ

Rich Pos wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected. Looks like a nice area on the websites. Thanks for
filling me in.

--
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 's' in the word lisp?
Old June 29th 04, 07:47 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote The DaveŠ ...

PARV - I want to say bay area. Maybe Oakland? The street looks
very familiar

If you bring out Al D's eyes for a moment, you just could see
"Martinsburg" written under "Welcome" on a banner hanging from the
lamp post on Queen Street in West Virginia.

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old June 29th 04, 09:55 AM
Colm

Thanks for commenting. You're right. It is in an urban area, less than 2
miles from Dublin City Centre. Here's what I posted in response to Al's
comments.

quote
The area in question is the Phoenix Park, Dublin, Ireland. The park is about
1,700 acres and is
home to hundreds of deer. The cross dates back to the visit of Pope JP2 in
1979, back when he was
doing big gigs (1.3 million at this venue). The deer are grazing on a soccer
pitch (
http://www.colmgallagher.com/deer.jpg and
http://www.colmgallagher.com/deer2.jpg ), which accounts
for the grass being reasonably well tended.
/quote

--
Colm

Old June 29th 04, 02:18 PM
street shooter

The DaveŠ wrote in message ...
As someone mentioned, it does seem that alot of the mandate was missed
here, but on many I'm not so sure. There are a few that just scream
'local culture', but I think if one looks deeper into many of the
images that things about the place can be picked out. I'm going to try
and relate what I read into, or get out of, each picture. Some points
that I make will probably have been made by others, or answered when
others brought them up. I'm just going to make my own as I see them.

snip

MICHAEL J. HOFFMAN - Crabs. Someone said Maryland, I think. This
screams 'local culture' to me. Framed very well, and really captures
the atmosphere and mood. We have a local Crawdad Festival every year
and I thought of taking pictures of something similar to this shot,
with the crawdads being eaten and/or cooked, but decided against it.
The timing of our festival and the mandate worked well, too.

snip

Thanks for the kind words!

Michael
Old June 29th 04, 04:57 PM
Alan Browne

The DaveŠ wrote:

ALAN BROWNE - The shadows seem dark, but I'm presently viewing this at
work on an old monitor, so that's probably not a fair statement. Is
this an old neighborhood? I like the house very much, though I'm not
sure what it says about the culture or area.

See prior comments by me and in reply to Al's comments.

The shaddows are a bit deep. I shot these a little after midday
on slide, so no surprise... on my (pretty damned good) monitor
the shddows are acceptable (discenable detail on the front face
of the house) but I would rather have taken the shot in the early
morning.

The house is much older than the blue-collar neigborhood it is
set in. This was (I didn't find a historical society marker) a
late 1700's or early 1800's farm house.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 30th 04, 03:04 PM
Matt Clara

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message

MATT CLARA - The big city. Not sure what to say, unless the intent was
to show either the lack of culture, or maybe, the fast paced and
faceless culture that we have really come into, whether we want to
acknowledge it, or not. Actually a very nice contrast with Bret's
picture, showing where we were and where we are now.

Thanks for your comments, Dave--I think you forgot to mention, though, that
my picture kicks ass...
;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old July 5th 04, 04:17 PM
Doug Payne

The DaveŠ wrote:

DOUG PAYNE - I thought Amish when I first saw it, but then wondered
about the utility hook-ups to the building. My knowledge of the many
variations of Amishness is lacking, though. I think it does say alot
about the area. Again, slow-paced, serious, studious. The people here
aren't lazy, they take care of their land and surroundings. They're
not pretentious, either.

Thanks for the comments (see previous posts for more details). And yes, they're
definitely not pretentious people :-)