Anyone know a source for bulbs for my Durst L184 8x10 CondenserHead enlarger--forget bulbman and similar or Durst pro usa as well!

Old May 15th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default Anyone know a source for bulbs for my Durst L184 8x10 CondenserHead enlarger--forget bulbman and similar or Durst pro usa as well!

Dear David,

Are you out there somewhere? Please pretend that this is 2003 and you have just written the note below to Bob Saloman.

I would like to know more about how your friend was using his Durst L184 (or a lab's Durst it seems) with the light arrangement that you described.. It appears that he had an L184 with CLS 301 head that could somehow function like a point source, and that he had some interesting results with a particular bulb and adaptor.

Could you you get in touch and fill me in at the email address below?

Thank you!

--Joe

On Friday, February 28, 2003 at 10:43:18 AM UTC-8, DLG wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:40:40 -0500, Bob Salomon

"J. Burke" wrote:

Currently using a Thorn 500 Watt bulb (only one I have) but can not get a
replacement for that either. Available out of USA maybe????
Calls for 300 Watt 120 volt OPALE--standard base/4 inch cone.

The GE guide lists the L184 with CLS 301 head as using an ELH which is
quartz.

The standard screw base enlarger lamp, as listed by GE, Osram and
Syvania are the PH 211, 212 and 213. They are 75, 150 and 250W. The ELH
is a 300 W 2 pin halogen mirror lamp.

How do you happen to have what appears to be a non-standard bulb?

Was your enlarger originally sold in the U.S.? Is this a military
surplus version?

Have you talked to Jens at Durst-Pro?

Thorne is a UK manufacturer, I believe. But if 300W is the lamp called
for then 500W could be too much for the wiring and insulation.

Bob,

A buddy down in Pathology has one of those beasts, Really, just about
the last enlarger you would ever need to own; its built for a lifetime
of abuse. About the only enlarger that I have used that I can remove a
negative from, for cleaning, and replace without needing to refocus.

As to the pin base halogen...on his unit it goes in a pin to screw
adaptor for using the enlarger in point source mode. He uses special
12v bulbs which run through a special Durst transformer for intensity
adjustment. My buddy does this all of the time for EM (electron
microscopy) negatives, but, I can tell you from personal experience,
this isn't something you would normally do for pictoral negatives. The
condensors must be absolutely clean and so should the negatives. Any
spec of dust or dirt almost ANYWHERE in the optical path will show up
as a defect in the print. Makes every neg print like it was developed
in Rodinal. Fun to try though if you have never used it this way.
Note: if you want to give it a go, pick a good lens, they are used
wide open when printing like this. You also need the matched
condensors for your particular negative size and enlargement factor.
He has a complete set of six condensors, and can run anything in point
source mode from 35mm up to 4x5.

As to the light. the one he has is 300W and it's quite large. Almost
like a normal screw base house light on steroids, although, it has a
metal base assembly near the normal screw base. Just for grins, we did
try one of the more normal enlarger bulbs (a PH 213 I think) and it
worked fine, although it didn't last too long (maybe 10 hours). The
big 300W Durst bulb came with the enlarger, when purchased new by the
department, and has been used for many, many years. My friend said he
checked on getting an extra, to put on the shelf, about five years
ago, but passed when he was quoted over $100 (US). The quote came
direct from whomever was the US Durst agent at the time.

I will try to find out if he has an official designation for the bulb,
or knows of a current replacement.

David Glos