Sunpak Super 622 with a Canon 5D

Old October 22nd 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No spam please

Default Sunpak Super 622 with a Canon 5D

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
I have a Canon 5D and use the CAnon foot mounted flash 240 I think it
is. The shoe mount is precarious at best and am considering moving to
a Sunpak Super 622. Anybody do this and have a correct module to
interface the Sunpak with Canon DSLR?

B&H gves a module number as SUDMCAF but they don't stock it. No
response from ToCAD the rep for Sunpak.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Hello Bob.

You might like to check the Sunpak 622 at
www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
This is a list of flashguns and their trigger voltages.
It says the 622 (both Professional and Super) have 8V trigger voltages. It
also says that Canon bodies may want trigger voltages of 6V or less.

This 6V figure is also mentioned at
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html

The Wein Safe Sync fits between a flashgun and the camera and limits the
sync voltage to 5V.

I've often seen postings about the problem of using flashguns with a
comparatively high sync voltage on a digital body but I don't recall any
postings saying that a high sync voltage actually has damaged a camera.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Rog.

ps: I'd be interested in the specs of your current Canon flashgun as I
haven't found it via a Google search. Canon did make some hammerhead
flashguns back in the 1980s (if I remember correctly).

Old October 23rd 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No spam please

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
Regards, Rog.

ps: I'd be interested in the specs of your current Canon flashgun as I
haven't found it via a Google search. Canon did make some hammerhead
flashguns back in the 1980s (if I remember correctly).

Rog

I mistated the Canon Flash model I now use. It is a Speedlite 420EX.
And I have it mounted on a bracket. It is powerful for most times. I
have the extension cord ets. But the foot for the flash is not very
strong. I am on the 3rd foot and have two left till I have to order
some more.

I have the schematic of an electronic circuit that I can use to
isolate high voltages that might injure the camera so that is no
problem.

Thanks for the replies and input. I may just order the 622 and not let
the lack of TTL get in the way.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Hello Bob.

Thanks for the update. I have the 430EX and that's worked well for me. I
bought the 580EXII when I saw it at a good price and have been happy with
it - especially the way it is ready to use so quickly after switching it on.

I had a problem with the 430EX. I was four floors up and trying to take
photos of some neighbourhood cats on the ground outside. I put the flash
onto full manual power and tried to take photos but they were all totally
white. When I put the flashgun on Auto then the photos came out as intended.
Looks like the flashgun was actually over-exposing the photos on full manual
power and that surprised me.

Oh - I have a Sunpak 7S which I bought it around 1969. Sorry to say that it
has now stopped working. Surely it ought to last at least forty years?
Seriously, I like Sunpak flashguns very much but I moved across to Canon
flashguns when I bought a T90 and extravagantly bought its matching 300TL
flashgun. It didn't only offer TTL metering but also offered spot metered
locked metering. Very useful for weddings.

Please let us know how you get on with the 622.

Best wishes and thanks for an interesting topic.

Regards, Rog.

Old October 23rd 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Bob AZ wrote:
Please let us know how you get on with the 622.

Best wishes and thanks for an interesting topic.

Regards, Rog.-

Rog

Thanks for the input. I just talked with B&H and the TTL solution
seems to be $1000.00. Metz or Quantum. Too much today so will have to
find something else. Sell more stuff on Ebay.

I already use the 420EX with a cord and bracket but the shoe mount
breaks too often with no warning and I am away from my bench to
replace it. There is an accomodation on the off-camera cord mount to
use a 1/4-20 tripod type of mount but the bracket is not setup this
way. So maybe off to my shop to make something.

I do a lot of pregame and half time shooting for a university band so
move around a lot and this makes it hard on the shoe mount. Same with
other musical groups and events.

Maybe I will get the 622 and live with just auto flash and forego the
TTL and see what happens.

I use a Canon 40D and 5D. Both work well. I have a Epson 4800 printer
that I use almost daily. Did 40 prints yesterday.

My cord mount bracket shoe broke quite easily, and I use a screw with a
wing nut to bolt the flash down to the bracket. Not great, but too
stubborn to buy a whole new cord for a lot of $. Many camera stores have
a box of such screws.....

--
John McWilliams
Old October 24th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Bob AZ wrote:
My cord mount bracket shoe broke quite easily, and I use a screw with a
wing nut to bolt the flash down to the bracket. Not great, but too
stubborn to buy a whole new cord for a lot of $. Many camera stores have
a box of such screws.....

--
John McWilliams-

John

This did cross my mind but I thought it would just me more of the
same.

I will go down to the shop and modify my bracket to accomodate the

proper screw. Perhaps I can find a tripod head screw for this.

Thanks for the input

My bracket has a number of 'extra' 1/4" threaded holes, but as long as
the screw can fit through, you don't needed the bracket to be threaded,
but do need a way to put pressure on to hold the base of the corded
mount onto the bracket directly.

Good luck!

--
John McWilliams
Old October 25th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:53:59 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ wrote:
: Regards, Rog.
:
[...]

I wonder if you're not tightening your 420EX down enough, which could enable
it to move and put additional strain on the foot. My wife and I each have the
580EX, but hers is a newer model with a different locking mechanism that may
have been designed to address that point. You might want to look into it.

Bob