Taking pictures in a nightclub (newbie question)

Old March 25th 05, 07:27 PM
KB

Default Taking pictures in a nightclub (newbie question)

Hi all,

I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

Any hints/tips would be much appriciated.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Cheers,
KB

Old March 25th 05, 07:39 PM
Jim

"KB" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could

give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

Any hints/tips would be much appriciated.

Your only hope is to use a tripod. The grainy appearance comes with the
high ISO. The unsharpness probably is caused by a too slow of a shutter
speed.
Jim

Old March 25th 05, 08:06 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

Not much you can do. If you don't like the graininess (noise, really)
at the top ISO, you can't use it. If lower ISO's look blurry, pretty
much the only thing you can try is underexposing by one stop, and then
editing the picture later.

-Joel

Old March 25th 05, 10:38 PM

"KB" wrote:

Hi all,

I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

Any hints/tips would be much appriciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I'd first be sure that it is okay with the establishment. Then, look
out if you take a picture of 'whose cheatin who'.

I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of feedback on this
question. I'll just set back and learn now.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Old March 26th 05, 02:49 AM
paul

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

Not much you can do. If you don't like the graininess (noise, really)
at the top ISO, you can't use it. If lower ISO's look blurry, pretty
much the only thing you can try is underexposing by one stop, and then
editing the picture later.

I'm pretty sure you'll get better results with boosting ISO than
underexposing.
Old March 26th 05, 04:44 AM
C J Campbell

"KB" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've just got a Canon Powershot A95 and was wondering if anybody could

give
me some advice as to taking photos in a nightclub environment without the
flash (as to not spoil the atmosphere).

I've played about with some of the settings i.e. push the ISO up to it's
max. The only problem is when I seem to take photos they look "grainy" and
aren't very sharp.

The graininess is called "noise" and it is intrinsic to the nature of
digital cameras. The higher the ISO, the noisier the picture will be. You
can eliminate some of this noise with various picture editing programs or
with software like Noise Ninja. Reducing the noise, though, also gives your
pictures less texture and hurts sharpness.

The lack of sharpness is due to camera movement or movement of the subjects.
Use a tripod, or at least brace the camera firmly against a pillar or door
frame. Go for longer exposures and use the blur artistically.