why does wide angle end of zoom gets cut on slightly upgraded model?

Old December 21st 04, 04:44 PM
peter

Default why does wide angle end of zoom gets cut on slightly upgraded model?

Canon powershot A85: wide 35mm, sensor size 1/2.7 inch

Canon powershot A95: wide 38mm, sensor size 1/1.8 inch

This doesn't make sense. When the CCD size is increased, if they leave the
lens alone, the wide angle end of the zoom should go even wider. But
instead, they made it less wide than before. What gives?

Here's another example:

Fujifilm finepix E510: wide 28mm, sensor size 1/2.5 inch

Fujifilm finepix E550: wide 32.5mm, sensor size 1/1.7 inch

This is really a pity because I like the larger CCD size and I also like
wide angle :-(

Old December 21st 04, 04:53 PM
Joseph Meehan

peter wrote:
Canon powershot A85: wide 35mm, sensor size 1/2.7 inch

Canon powershot A95: wide 38mm, sensor size 1/1.8 inch

This doesn't make sense. When the CCD size is increased, if they
leave the lens alone, the wide angle end of the zoom should go even
wider. But instead, they made it less wide than before. What gives?

Here's another example:

Fujifilm finepix E510: wide 28mm, sensor size 1/2.5 inch

Fujifilm finepix E550: wide 32.5mm, sensor size 1/1.7 inch

This is really a pity because I like the larger CCD size and I also
like wide angle :-(

I also like wide angle, which is why I bought a Canon 20D. I now have a
10 mm lens for it.

However it is telephoto that sells cameras. Funny most people never
know what they are missing.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 21st 04, 05:14 PM
David J Taylor

peter wrote:
Canon powershot A85: wide 35mm, sensor size 1/2.7 inch

Canon powershot A95: wide 38mm, sensor size 1/1.8 inch

This doesn't make sense. When the CCD size is increased, if they
leave the lens alone, the wide angle end of the zoom should go even
wider. But instead, they made it less wide than before. What gives?

It's probably cheaper. They won't "leave the lens alone" as it wouldn't
cover the full image circle of the bigger sensor at the quality they need,
so it is likely a new lens design.

Here's another example:

Fujifilm finepix E510: wide 28mm, sensor size 1/2.5 inch

Fujifilm finepix E550: wide 32.5mm, sensor size 1/1.7 inch

This is really a pity because I like the larger CCD size and I also
like wide angle :-(

Take a look at the Nikon 8400 - 24mm wide-angle.

David

Old December 24th 04, 09:31 PM
Dave Martindale

"David J Taylor" writes:
Canon powershot A85: wide 35mm, sensor size 1/2.7 inch

Canon powershot A95: wide 38mm, sensor size 1/1.8 inch

This doesn't make sense. When the CCD size is increased, if they
leave the lens alone, the wide angle end of the zoom should go even
wider. But instead, they made it less wide than before. What gives?

It's probably cheaper. They won't "leave the lens alone" as it wouldn't
cover the full image circle of the bigger sensor at the quality they need,
so it is likely a new lens design.

More likely, the A85 uses the same lens from the A75 and A70, which are
its predecessors, all with 1/2.7 inch sensors. The A95 probably uses
the same lens as the A80, both having 1/1.8 inch sensors.

The one sensor is 1.5 times larger than the other. Thus, the "ideal"
lens to match one has 1.5 times greater focal length at the wide and
tele ends, 1.5 times the image circle diameter, but 2/3 the limiting
resolution of the lens needed for the other sensor. A single lens
wide enough for the larger sensor would be too long for the smaller,
and wouldn't have enough resolution either.

In comparison, the difference between 35 and 38 mm effective coverage
is only 8%. That's pretty close, despite the sensor size difference.

Dave
Old December 25th 04, 11:02 AM
David J Taylor

Dave Martindale wrote:
"David J Taylor" writes:
Canon powershot A85: wide 35mm, sensor size 1/2.7 inch

Canon powershot A95: wide 38mm, sensor size 1/1.8 inch

[]
More likely, the A85 uses the same lens from the A75 and A70, which
are its predecessors, all with 1/2.7 inch sensors. The A95 probably
uses the same lens as the A80, both having 1/1.8 inch sensors.

Thanks, Dave. I'm not familiar with the intimate history of the Canon
range....

David