Doctor's choice - Kodak C875 or Canon A630?

Old April 8th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
davek57

Default Doctor's choice - Kodak C875 or Canon A630?

Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

Thank you.

-David

Old April 8th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
davy

Here's a sight that you can find all the test results on which may help
in the comparison-:

'Steve's Digicams - Main Menu' (http://www.steves-digicams.com/) and
'Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums,
Glossary, FAQ' (http://www.dpreview.com/)

Davy

Old April 8th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 05:42:04 -0700, davek57 wrote:

Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

Thank you.

-David

Seeing as how you already have a P880, I'd lean towards the C875 - I
assume they use the same printer dock which would be useful.

Old April 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

davek57 wrote:
Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

Thank you.

-David

Neither: too many pixels in too small an area.

see:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Roger
Old April 8th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

davek57 wrote:
Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

Thank you.

-David

I would choose the Kodak because it is lighter, and the extra zoom can
be a very good thing. I doubt you would be unhappy with either camera.
Old April 8th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 15:05:15 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

Thank you.

-David

I would choose the Kodak because it is lighter, and the extra zoom can
be a very good thing. I doubt you would be unhappy with either camera.

I'd choose the A630, but only because it's quite like the A620
which I've used and which is a very good camera. But the OP wants a
pocketable camera, and if the C875 is significantly smaller, which
I'm assuming is the case since it doesn't have the articulated LCD
and uses only two AA batteries, so the Kodak might be the better
choice for him. On the other hand, Canon's A-series cameras that
only use two AA batteries don't focus as quickly or (especially in
low light) as accurately as the 4 AA models, so the C875 may have
similar shortcomings. Probably not enough to matter very much
though. My suggestion would be to go one step beyond asking for
advice here, and to download the manuals for both cameras and read
each one a time or two.

Old April 9th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

Good suggestion. Having the manuals available before you buy is a
definite advantage once the field has been narrowed to only a few
possible choices.
I can't say for the C875, but the C743 certainly does have low light
focus problems. Often, it simply won't. Needs a low light focus assist
lamp.
Old April 11th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

davek57 wrote:
Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

On these facts, the Canon. I consider the vari-angle LCD *highly*
desirable (for high-angle and low-angle shots; my knees aren't as young
as they once were).

You may have to change batteries more often on the Kodak, but I wouldn't
care; at least they both use AAs.

What I'd want to look at is how they held up at high ISOs, and how fast
the lenses were (maximum aperture, for low-light work). And how easy
the manual controls were to access.

Old April 12th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
davek57 wrote:
Both are 8MP, both have 2.5-inch LCD's with so-so 115K pixel quality.
C875 has a 5X Schneider lens (Canon has 4X). Canon has the vari-angle
LCD. Canon uses 4 AA's, Kodak uses 2.

Both of these are candidates for riding in my pocket for everyday
snapshots when I'm not hauling around my Kodak P880. Which of the two
smaller cameras would you choose, and why?

On these facts, the Canon. I consider the vari-angle LCD *highly*
desirable (for high-angle and low-angle shots; my knees aren't as young
as they once were).

You may have to change batteries more often on the Kodak, but I wouldn't
care; at least they both use AAs.

What I'd want to look at is how they held up at high ISOs, and how fast
the lenses were (maximum aperture, for low-light work). And how easy
the manual controls were to access.

If a person does lots of macro (extreme closeup) work where the camera
position makes use of a fixed LCD inconvenient, then one would probably
prefer the A630. If not, then it is pretty much a matter of which one
you like the look and feel of better.
Old April 12th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Ron Hunter wrote:

If a person does lots of macro (extreme closeup) work where the camera
position makes use of a fixed LCD inconvenient, then one would probably
prefer the A630. If not, then it is pretty much a matter of which one
you like the look and feel of better.

The flexible LCD is certainly useful for macro, but I would use it a lot
for high and low angle shots of people, too. I spent 7 of the last 8
days (not yesterday) climbing on chairs, holding my camera over my
head, or getting down on my knees, or trying to guess where the camera
was aiming while hanging around my neck because I didn't have a way to
look through the viewfinder except with the camera right up to my eye
(DSLR). I've seriously considered a Zigview, but I'm not sure they turn
sideways, and they're nearly $300 for the simplest version.