Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs?

Old August 7th 04, 06:03 AM
John

Default Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs?

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:03:17 -0500, Frank Pittel
wrote:

He knows enough to know that using hangers is a bad way to develop sheet film.

Now you tell me !

Regards,

John (Who just bought 4 old 5X7 tanks to develop sheet film)
Old August 7th 04, 06:05 AM
John

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:58:31 -0500, Frank Pittel
wrote:

: Not only that he has the nerve to claim Hasselblad is the only MF camera
: in the MF group,......what an ass he is.

My favorite was when he went to the LF group and started insisting that everyone switch
to leicas!!
--

Leica makes a LF camera ? I guess if one compares it to a
Minox .......

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old August 7th 04, 05:58 PM
jjs

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 8/4/2004 5:39 PM Donald Qualls spake thus:

[...]
Care to post your plans for the light/liquid baffle for these homemade

drums?
Seems like a non-trivial construction detail to me. What do you use, a

pipe
cap as the removable lid?

Indeed. Sounds like a pipe-dream to me. And what of expressions/detents so
the film doesn't slide around?

Old August 7th 04, 06:01 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 8/4/2004 5:39 PM Donald Qualls spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/3/2004 9:03 PM PGG spake thus:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:08:35 +0000, Marco Milazzo wrote:

I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom with
running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I assume
I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing in the
light -- correct?

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

Is there a better way to go than Jobo?

I've been using a simple Unicolor drum and roller. Cost me $30 on eBay.
Works fine.

Same here. No need for more expensive hardware in this department so far
as I can see. Try it; it's cheap.

Another option is ABS and PVC pipe parts from the local home improvement
store. If you're build a few of them, you can build tanks with daylight
fill and dump for 8x10 (3" pipe size) for about $6-$8 each; these are
for inversion agitation and hand processing, but could probably also be
used on a roller base if you already have one or build one of your own.

Care to post your plans for the light/liquid baffle for these homemade drums?
Seems like a non-trivial construction detail to me. What do you use, a pipe
cap as the removable lid?

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky

Old August 7th 04, 07:29 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 8/7/2004 9:58 AM jjs spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

On 8/4/2004 5:39 PM Donald Qualls spake thus:

[...]

Care to post your plans for the light/liquid baffle for these homemade drums?
Seems like a non-trivial construction detail to me. What do you use, a pipe
cap as the removable lid?

Indeed. Sounds like a pipe-dream to me. And what of expressions/detents so
the film doesn't slide around?

Well, that part would be pretty easy; a couple of styrene strips glued inside
the pipe ought to do the trick. It would make the drum permanently useful only
for a certain size of film, but being cheap, that shouldn't be a problem.