spam filter

Old May 5th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default spam filter

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?
"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is spamtrap)
Old May 5th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 05 May 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Bob Burns wrote:

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?

Filtering crossposts should about do it. You'll lose a couple of
legitimate posts, but about 100% of the spam.

If your newsreader is capable of slightly more sophisticated
filtering/scoring, you could look in the Newsgroups: header for something
other than groups in the rec.photo.* hierarchy.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old May 5th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 05 May 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Bob Burns wrote:

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?

Filtering crossposts should about do it. You'll lose a couple of
legitimate posts, but about 100% of the spam.

If your newsreader is capable of slightly more sophisticated
filtering/scoring, you could look in the Newsgroups: header for something
other than groups in the rec.photo.* hierarchy.

Yeah, that would probably work, except I can't find a way to do that
using Thunderbird.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)
Old May 5th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jim Townsend wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?

The only way is to completely filter out Google Groups. They
are the source of 90% of the spam on usenet

How things change! Back in the good old days when a newsfeed
came over a 9600 baud modem with a neighboring UNIX mainframe,
90% of the junk posts came from Universities. There was a big
spike in the Fall when the Freshman class discovered the net
for the first time and started flaming everybody.

But, back to the present. It doesn't help to say "filter out
Google Groups" without saying what you're using to do that.
It's looking as if I'm going to have to dump Thunderbird since
its filtering capabilities are limited. So, what are people
using to filter out the crap? I'm only interested in stuff
that runs on Linux, but I would imagine users of the monopoply
OS and of MacOS have the same question. What works to get
rid of this crap?

And, if it's a polarizing filter that I need, should it be
circular or linear? :-)

Paul Allen
Old May 5th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 05 May 2006 08:58:00 -0700, Paul Allen wrote:
But, back to the present. It doesn't help to say "filter out
Google Groups" without saying what you're using to do that.
It's looking as if I'm going to have to dump Thunderbird since
its filtering capabilities are limited. So, what are people
using to filter out the crap? I'm only interested in stuff
that runs on Linux, but I would imagine users of the monopoply
OS and of MacOS have the same question. What works to get
rid of this crap?

If you're on a Linux system, you have access to some fairly powerful
reader software. I like slrn (I'm using it now on my Mac); it can be
downloaded he http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

I use this filter rule at the top of my scorefile:
[*]
Sco =-9999

which trashes any message crossposted to more than three groups. This
does wonders for cutting down on spam, independent of whether it comes
from Google or elsewhere.

-dms
Old May 5th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Paul Allen wrote:

I'm only interested in stuff
that runs on Linux, but I would imagine users of the monopoply
OS and of MacOS have the same question. What works to get
rid of this crap?

On OS X, thoth will filter for cross posts. Out of 245 posts I see
today, only 168 got through, none from our friend. I have noted that he
does not always cross post, though. Filtering out google may be the
only ticket.

On Linux and OS X, gnus will do it. Are you an emacs fan? :-

Old May 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:24:44 GMT
Bob Burns wrote:

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?

Thunderbird has pretty lame filtering, so I googled a bit
and did a test install of sylpheed-claws on my Fedora Core
5 system. (Thank goodness for yum's automatic dependency
handling!) This mail/news reader may have a funny name,
but it definitely has both teeth and claws.

I looked at some of the recent random-word postings and
noticed that they all have this header:

There were several different IP addresses in the garbage
posts' X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host headers, so I made
a filter to hide all messages with NNTP-Posting-Host ==
60.22.214.36. And, hey presto, I now have 291 unread
messages in r.p.d and all of the crap about jungle bunnies
and kikes is *gone*! The joy!

Now, I'm pretty sure the address I filtered is a news
server that might be used by actual humans, so I may need
to be a bit more selective. But, this is real progress.

Paul Allen

Old May 5th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 05 May 2006 13:45:35 GMT
Bob Burns wrote:

Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 05 May 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Bob Burns wrote:

Anyone know how to filter out all the spam on this ng?

Filtering crossposts should about do it. You'll lose a couple of
legitimate posts, but about 100% of the spam.

If your newsreader is capable of slightly more sophisticated
filtering/scoring, you could look in the Newsgroups: header for
something other than groups in the rec.photo.* hierarchy.

Yeah, that would probably work, except I can't find a way to do that
using Thunderbird.

I really want to like Thunderbird, but it has a lot of catching
up to do. Its message filtering is lame.

I'm experimenting with sylpheed-claws, and am going to have a
look at slrn and perhaps gnus. Sylpheed appears to have all
of the features of Thunderbird, and a lot more. I'm not sure
how to get it to detect cross-posts, though. More later,
maybe.

Paul Allen
Old May 5th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Paul Allen "paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net" wrote:

And, if it's a polarizing filter that I need, should it be
circular or linear?

Depends on your camera. If it uses a beam splitter in the optical system
for metering, focusing or the finder display you need a circular. If you
don't have a beam splitter you can use the linear.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old May 5th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Allen wrote:

I really want to like Thunderbird, but it has a lot of catching
up to do. Its message filtering is lame.

I'm experimenting with sylpheed-claws, and am going to have a
look at slrn and perhaps gnus. Sylpheed appears to have all
of the features of Thunderbird, and a lot more. I'm not sure
how to get it to detect cross-posts, though. More later,
maybe.

TIN is a awesome reader with excellent filtering capabilities. Having said
that, there is very often something a spammer does that gets by your filters;
so it is easier for me to just mark all the spam read and I will never see it
again unless somebody replies to it.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse